Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are they planning Special Editions of any of the Muppet movies? (11.29.05)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper have been discontinued and Amazon doesn't carry them anymore. Are there SE's in the works?

And what's up with Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas? Its going for $89 on Ebay!!

Last edited by Snowmaker; 01-23-05 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-23-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

all three original movies have been oop as well as some of the Xmas titles, for a few months, though stil readily available in most stores. Disney now retains the rights to the muppets and you may see things in the near future. Their is a new Muppet Wizard of Oz Special airing on ABC in a few months. I would assume that when this is released on dvd you may see more classic titles come to light.

I'll say it first...Hope Disney does a good job and releases these is WS (unlike Christmas Carol, and Treasure Island) A box set would also be a welcome.

Disney wants the muppets huge again, and I hope it happens (Check my dvdaff for proof) Also wishing for Muppet Babies, Muppet Show, and Muppets Tonight season sets.
Old 01-23-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd love an unedited version of Emmet Otter.
Old 01-24-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd double dip for the Muppet Movie, the Great Muppet Caper & Muppets Take Manhattan in a heartbeat..

Sill trying to get my Muppet Movie custom done...
Old 01-28-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

also there were some rumors about The Muppet Show Getting season sets

no news in a few months but info can be had In this Thread
Old 01-29-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
I, too, would love to have great editions of the Muppet movies! Here's hoping.
Old 01-29-05, 02:31 AM

Well, considering I bought Muppet Movie a few months ago, I fully expect a better one to come out anytime now.
Old 02-01-05, 04:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
...only if they are released in OAR and anamorphic!!!
Old 02-01-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sparks
...only if they are released in OAR and anamorphic!!!
all or the originals have this....its the disney owned titles that don't...ir all you want is OAR anamorpic jump in
Old 07-22-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From Ultimate Disney:

"A sneak peek on the new catalogue discs reveals some other quite exciting news. Believe it or not, Kermit the Frog is turning 50 this year; his debut television appearance was on Jim Henson's black-and-white program "Sam and Friends" in 1955. In celebration of this golden anniversary, Disney will be rereleasing four of the Muppets' most popular films to Special Edition DVD: The Muppet Movie (1979), The Great Muppet Caper (1981), The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) and Muppet Treasure Island. The promo provides no new release date nor information on bonus features, but ensures the films are "completely restored and remastered." One assumes from the widescreen clips previewed that each will be presented in their original 1.85:1 theatrical aspect ratios, which was not the case when Disney first released Carol and Island to DVD in 2002. We'll have more details for you as soon as they come in!"

Great news!
Old 07-22-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thats great news
Old 07-22-05, 11:36 PM

I would like one of the first muppet movie. Thats the one with the electric mayhem, right? I loved that shit.
Old 07-23-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

it also might be a good idea to call disney and tell them you hat the non OAR muppet titles and that if they ever re-release them you would like an upgrade. I know several people here recieved free upgrades for absent minded proffesor....
Old 07-28-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

from ultimate disney

A booklet inside The Muppets' Wizard of Oz reveals that Disney's remastered and restored reissues (which we mentioned last week) of The Muppet Movie and three other Muppet films will arrive in November.
Old 07-28-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

also found this on the UD forums and though it could give insight to whats coming, and who owns what

Hello,

Just had a read up on your Muppets thread on the UD forum. Seems folks are quite excited to own these titles again in Disney SEs.

A word to the wise though: Muppets Take Manhattan and Muppets From Space will never be re-issued by Disney, unless there is some MEGA deal making gone on, as these films were bankrolled, distributed and copyright owned by Columbia/TriStar Pictures.

Muppet Movie and Muppet Caper were "independent" films, and the Henson Co have managed to hold on to copyright on those (now owned by Disney) and the Christmas Carol and Treasure Island films were Disney co-pros anyway, so obviously there's no problem for Disney there.

But Manhattan and From Space (not In Space as is often mis-named) were TriStar and Columbia Pictures releases, respectively, and are owned by Col/TriStar/Sony. Manhattan comes from the time when Jim Henson was very friendly with TriStar, and the deal was set up via his daughter, who was an exec at Columbia. When Jim died and his kids took over, Cheryl tried to get the Muppets tied to Columbia permenently (after the first Disney deal fell through), with From Space, but that film's box office disappointment meant that there were no other films or a further deal.

Then the whole EMTV thing happened, and all seemed lost until Disney took over again. But none of those titles will be re-issued - the only way for that to happen is for Disney to actually buy them from Sony. Maybe a deal could be worked out for a boxed set, but Disney can't release them, at least for the moment.

In related news: Hopefully the new Muppet Movie will be UNCUT. Yep, that Columbia/Sony edition out now, while a nice widescreen print, has been trimmed by several shots, and rather randomly. Compared the the UK VHS tape, the end where the Studio gets blown up by the fireworks, is much longer.

In the US DVD (and the UK DVD it has to be said), the first explosion happens and the Studio stage's roof is blown out, letting the rainbow in. In the original UK tape, the frieworks go off and there are several shots of all the scenery falling down and the other characters looking dismayed as things look like they're going wrong. No word on why these scenes were cut out of the current DVD, but hopefully the Mouse will use the proper print (as well as one that doesn't have an overloud music track, which the Sony disc also has).

The current Muppet Caper disc, from Sony, is a good one, though let's hope Disney adds "The Muppets Go To The Movies", an hour-long Muppet Show special that aired to promote the film, with clips and songs from Caper interspersed with the Muppets recreating classic movie scenes (Kermit and Piggy in Casablanca, etc). That would be waaaaaaaaay cool!

Hopefully, you can use some of this info on the site, or make sure it gets to the forum - interested to hear what your readers would make of it
all!

Keep up the great work, as always!

Ben
Old 08-03-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

there is also a trailer on the new Oz disc for Special Editions of all four movies
Old 08-10-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All I need is widescreen on The Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island and I'll be a happy camper.
Old 08-10-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess its time to hit ebay.
Old 08-10-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I guess its time to hit ebay.
Now I'm wondering if I should wait and see what the features are. The current two are already anamorphic and have 5.1.

Anybody already offload theirs? Any thoughts?
Old 08-10-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i'm just worried the behind the scene feature with kermit and fozzy talking to the cow will be gone...
Old 08-10-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I wonder if they are restoring/cleaning them up as much as the Muppet Show. Those look amazing.

I too hope to hear more about the new discs as I would like to dump mine if need be.
Old 08-11-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I'm wondering if they'll be editing some of the songs.

During "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along", Rowlf sings "I finish work, go home, read a book, have a couple of beers, take myself for a walk and go to bed".

And during "Happiness Hotel" in Caper, Janice sings "Still the management is cheerful though the whole joint's gone to hell".
Old 08-11-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Is it just me or is there a line in Muppet Wizard of Oz when one of the characters says during the fight with the witch of the west and Ashanti where they say "Oh, someone's gonna get bitch slapped"? I swear that's what was said, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 08-11-05, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Is the Muppet Wizard of Oz only available in full screen?
Old 08-11-05, 08:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by The Monkees
Is it just me or is there a line in Muppet Wizard of Oz when one of the characters says during the fight with the witch of the west and Ashanti where they say "Oh, someone's gonna get bitch slapped"? I swear that's what was said, but maybe I'm wrong.
I don't know, but from the description of the scene, the line was probably "get witch slapped".

The movie was made for TV in fullscreen and that's the way it is on disc.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=17121

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.