DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Getting permanent marker off DVDs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/405750-getting-permanent-marker-off-dvds.html)

asianxcore 01-19-05 12:04 AM

Getting permanent marker off DVDs?

I bought a used DVD today and someone initialed both discs in what looks to be black permanent marker. I was wondering if anyone knew of anything or anyway to get it off?

thanks!

talemyn 01-19-05 12:48 AM

Sandpaper will take it right off. :up:

Adrenaline 01-19-05 01:03 AM

I used googone when I had to get permanent marker off the bottom (data) side of the dvd. Works fine now and the marker is gone!

emhello 01-19-05 01:04 AM

nail polish remover.

asianxcore 01-19-05 01:21 AM

nail polish remover ate through the art on the disc. oh well. I called the place I got it at (Blockbuster) and they said I could still get a refund because it had marker on it in the first place, regardless if I messed it up further.

Cameron 01-19-05 01:26 AM

what dvd?

just wondering if you were trying to get the Rutger Hauer autographs off

emhello 01-19-05 03:08 AM

Well anything that's strong enough to take off permanent marker will take the artwork off as well. :)

asianxcore 01-19-05 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by emhello
Well anything that's strong enough to take off permanent marker will take the artwork off as well. :)

I still don't know why people initial their CDs/DVDs. putting your initials on your DVDs isn't going to stop someone from stealing them.

the DVD was the Moulin Rouge 2 disc.

supersonicx 01-19-05 06:24 AM

Hair spray. That will take it off immediately.
HOWEVER, Make sure you wipe it over with water afterwards, or the disc will become sticky.

cleaver 01-19-05 08:22 AM

Rubbing alcohol

obscurelabel 01-19-05 08:53 AM

You can try to use one of those dry erase markers. Write over what you want to take off, wait for it to dry, and wipe. Apparently the solvent in the dry erase marker dissolves the pigment from the permanent marker and "converts" it so it will lift off. This has worked for me in the past. I can't guarantee that it will always work, so YMMV.

Shagrath 01-19-05 09:24 AM

Another recommendation for GooGone. I use this stuff all the time for any kind of marker/sticker/etc that may be on a PVD I get at Blockbuster, Movie Gallery, or wherever else.

Beehut 01-19-05 01:03 PM

Yeah, I was going to suggest the dry erase marker, but I'm not sure that it would work on anything but a dry erase board. Worth a shot I guess, if it's already marked on.

chileorgullo 01-19-05 01:48 PM

googone for marker,
but how about for the blockbuster obnoxious labels that say PROPERTY OF BLOCKBUSTER: DO NOT REMOVE ! anyone know what I'm talking about? they make the disc so much less attractive. if no one knows what I'm talking about, I'll post a picture

asianxcore 01-19-05 02:15 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I'll have to buy a bottle of Goo Gone just in case something like this happens again.

The_Natural 01-19-05 05:34 PM

Isapropal alcohol

gfoots 01-19-05 05:46 PM

Wd40

laserdogg 01-19-05 05:56 PM

Naptha

Shagrath 01-19-05 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by chileorgullo
googone for marker,
but how about for the blockbuster obnoxious labels that say PROPERTY OF BLOCKBUSTER: DO NOT REMOVE ! anyone know what I'm talking about? they make the disc so much less attractive. if no one knows what I'm talking about, I'll post a picture

If we're talking about old rental discs that used to have the circular sticker actually on the disc, Googone again for this as well. It takes quite a bit of work (at least in my experience). I start by prying up the edge a bit with my fingernail, and then spray some Googone, let it soak for a minute, and repeat the process. I use a paper towel to soak up the excess Googone and to clean up any sticker crap that is left after I peel off the sticker. It takes a few minutes, but afterwards, you can't even tell that there was ever a sticker there.

chileorgullo 01-19-05 07:02 PM

so trying to peel off won't actually damage?
aight I'll give it a shot, thanks
that blue label just bugs the fu outta' me

Shagrath 01-20-05 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by chileorgullo
so trying to peel off won't actually damage?
aight I'll give it a shot, thanks
that blue label just bugs the fu outta' me

Not as long as you're slow while peeling it. I'v eonly had one disc (back when Movie Gallery had those huge clear stickers that covered the whole disc), and instead of taking my time, working the sticker a little at a time in a circular fashion, I just started pulling it off once I got an edge up, and I ended up ripping part of the disc art. Luckily, their stickers are clear, so I took a small knife and cut off all the excess sticker and just left the small portion where the disc art was. You can hardly notice, but it still pisses me off. I'm glad that MG & BBV (at least around here) don't use stickers at all anymore, besides on the cases.

mr_jbloggs 01-20-05 01:10 PM

Put it over a fire and do the rain dance. :) JK

Sorry, there are so many ideas in this thread, I just felt like chipping in.

critterdvd 01-20-05 05:55 PM

I've found that putting another cover on top of the disc works well.

mookiemeister 01-29-05 08:38 PM

Thanks to the poster who suggested using GooGone for black marker on DVD disc. I recently bought 2 used DVDs on another DVD exchange forum, and found out after I received the DVDs that both discs and 1 cover have the black marker with initial B.A. The other cover has the initial B.A. in regular pen, I think.

I used GooGone and was able to remove almost all the black marker B.A. initials from both discs and the 1 cover. Although, GooGone started to take away the color on my cover when I rub it too much so I have to stop. I also tried GooGone for the other cover with B.A. initial with a pen, but it didn't work very well. Anyone have suggestion what works better with a pen?