Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Some BATMAN SE DVD news! (10.18.05 expected release date)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Some BATMAN SE DVD news! (10.18.05 expected release date)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-05, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ill only pick up the first one, the others were crap.
Old 08-11-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GameGenie
ill only pick up the first one, the others were crap.
HEY, dude, watch what your saying! Your gonna give crap a bad name!
Old 08-13-05, 12:02 AM
Cool New Member

Not impressed. I echo some of the same thoughts that have already been stated, they pretty much recycled the same artwork from the first releases and tried to class it up with a platinum border and a new text font.

The result is kind of tacky-looking, I know the studio wanted a unified motif but the silver border doesn't really suit the style of the films at all, nor does the font for the titles. It reminds me too much of the Blade series, not Batman.

I just wish they would've used different artwork from what's already been used, even though the gold & black emblem for the first film's almost a given. Just using the bat symbol from each film on the cover would've been cool with me(especially liked Forever's question mark symbol), but admittedly I care more about the first two films than the others.

These are custom covers I did awhile back, I would've liked to have seen either piece of art used for Returns:

Old 08-13-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDOtaku13
These are custom covers I did awhile back, I would've liked to have seen either piece of art used for Returns
I like the top one, but sorry to say that other one is kind of fugly.
Old 08-13-05, 01:05 AM
Banned

I just wish they would've used different artwork from what's already been used,

I disagree. DVD cover art has a tendency to get worse when they try to make something original. We usually get stuff like Phone Booth. Or the ugly green for the Ghostbusters box set.
Old 08-13-05, 01:34 AM
Cool New Member

I disagree. DVD cover art has a tendency to get worse when they try to make something original. We usually get stuff like Phone Booth. Or the ugly green for the Ghostbusters box set.
I didn't mean they should try to do something original, cause you're right it often results in a horrible train wreck. I meant they might wanna try to use different "official" or promotional artwork for the films from when they were originally released, and there is more than just what we've seen in those theatrical posters. I know the Laserdisc cover of Returns had a different variation of the "Bat, Cat, Penguin" heads that were lined up horizontal and not vertical.

I guess it's just up to personal preferences, but I absolutely hate those 3 floating heads lined up like that.
Old 08-13-05, 10:00 AM

The result is kind of tacky-looking, I know the studio wanted a unified motif but the silver border doesn't really suit the style of the films at all, nor does the font for the titles. It reminds me too much of the Blade series, not Batman.
Yeah, the very least they can do is change that horrible font. I don't see why they didn't just go with the bat symbols-- the average person who occasionally buys a DVD may not see the difference between these and the older releases, save for that silver border. I hope these get changed before release.
Old 08-13-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts
Eh, whenever I watch one of these movies I'll spend about ten seconds looking at the case. Then I'll spend 2 hours watching the movie. Good cover art is certainly something to wish for, but when you get down to it, it's what's on the inside that really matters!

So it'll be Batman and Batman Returns for me. I saw Batman Forever once in the theater and that was enough. I also saw Batman and Robin once in the theater and that was one too many times.
Old 08-13-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD King
Yeah, the very least they can do is change that horrible font. I don't see why they didn't just go with the bat symbols-- the average person who occasionally buys a DVD may not see the difference between these and the older releases, save for that silver border. I hope these get changed before release.
Completely black covers with nothing other than the distinctive bat symbols from each film would have been great. Less is more. Then the title in its original font and style and "Two-Disc Special Edition" on the spines. Not bad.

--THX
Old 08-13-05, 09:26 PM
Cool New Member

Looks like they're going to come in some kind of reflective shiny cardboard casing too instead of the good 'ol plastic keepcase.

Sounds like custom cover time again.
Old 08-13-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

nah...i think you will get a keepcase, and it will have a cardboard slipcase. This has been the standard WB 2 disc SE lately
Old 08-14-05, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
nah...i think you will get a keepcase, and it will have a cardboard slipcase. This has been the standard WB 2 disc SE lately
Agreed about the keep case. Pictures of upcoming cover art do not necessarily exhibit the style of packaging accurately.

Slipcases are harder to predict. They seemed to have some special meaning at one point; these days they get thrown on any old film.

What recent 2-disc Warner Bros. titles have come out with slipcases?

--THX
Old 08-14-05, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
If you're going to use the original cover art, use the original font, too.
Amen, brother! I suppose they wanted all of the films to be uniform, but I liked how the original fonts were redesigns of the previous film. Would have been cool to see now, side by side. But, with all the shit-tastic DVD packaging out there, could have been worse.
Old 08-14-05, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
What recent 2-disc Warner Bros. titles have come out with slipcases?
--THX

Bullit, Chariots of Fire, Malcom X, Bringing Up Baby, The Big Red One, etc. etc.

However the same titles are missing slipcovers when they are included in their box set. I have also noticed that some stores had copies of Chariots of Fire without cover on the street date. So YMMV.
Old 08-14-05, 09:38 AM

Any idea why the SEs aren't up for preorder yet?
Old 08-14-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
Bullit, Chariots of Fire, Malcom X, Bringing Up Baby, The Big Red One, etc. etc.

However the same titles are missing slipcovers when they are included in their box set. I have also noticed that some stores had copies of Chariots of Fire without cover on the street date. So YMMV.
It's logical that slipcases would not be included in boxed sets. With the extra width they add, they would require a bigger box. But we know slipcases disappear after the first wave of releases. Manufacturers would have to make the boxes a custom size to accommodate something temporary, and they're not about to do that. Besides, the box itself acts as a slipcase for the group.

--THX
Old 08-17-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Now this is how the R1 covers should've looked from the Batman set
Old 08-17-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's just depressing on how easy artwork gets screwed up from one region to the next.
Old 08-17-05, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by steebo777
Now those are pretty goddamned cool! Of course, the R1 versions still have the cinema one-sheets as well, but seeing all the bat-logos is cool. A shame they still have that crappy font; having the original fonts and the logos would have been a grand-slam. Oh well.
Old 08-17-05, 11:16 AM
Banned

Just an FYI...Batman will make it's HD debut Friday morning (early) at 1am on TNT. Be interesting to see if it's an upconvert or genuine HD.
Old 08-17-05, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by steebo777
Wow, that looks way better. Don't really like the grittiness but I'd take these over the R1's any day.
Old 08-17-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Those covers look fantastic. I'm jealous
Old 08-17-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is not fair. Booooooooooooo. That's exactly what I was hoping the R1 releases would turn out like (with the exception of the crappy font choice).
Old 08-17-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Yeah those covers are a lot better...The text has more room to breath without the silver border, they look more unified....Returns could have more blue to it I think. Heck, they might even convince a few folks to get BF and B&R if they looked like that.
Old 08-17-05, 03:11 PM

We've now added the artwork for the actual R1 Anthology set here

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.