Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Some BATMAN SE DVD news! (10.18.05 expected release date)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Some BATMAN SE DVD news! (10.18.05 expected release date)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-05, 03:02 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A LOT more news regarding the SE releases...

The Scarecrow? Nope! More BATMAN 1-4 SE news!
Author: Jett
Tuesday, January 18, 6:25 AM, 8:45 PM CST: This comes from a trusted source which comes from their trusted source - sort of how it works sometime. Anyway, he provided me with a bit more info on the upcoming SE's of the first four WB BATMAN films -

• BATMAN and BATMAN RETURNS have been finished for a while now. Tim Burton re-recorded his commentary tracks with a "guest." Seems he thought his original commentary was too boring.

•Regarding those films, they'll look like this: Disc 1 - Remastered picture and sound with Commentary. Disc 2 - Trailers, TV Spots, Vintage footage and a new featurette on the film. BATMAN is expected to get the most treatment with a feature length documentary. BATMAN RETURNS will feature Jett from BATMAN ON FILM breaking down why it sucks as bad as BATMAN AND ROBIN [Sorry, couldn't resist - Jett].

•Our source regarding FOREVER -

"Joel recorded commentary tracks for the theatrical edition along with BATMAN AND ROBIN (Look for a 'special guest' on that track as well). Afterwards Joel decided to ask WB to recut the film back to something that resembles his original edit. WB agreed and gave him a budget to do so. Joel is currently in Burbank working on some alterations to the film.

WB wants to also include the original theater version of the film, Which kind of paints Joel into a corner. You see because they will have to use a process called 'seamless branching.' This works with films like T2 or ALIENS where chunks of the film were simply taken out. In the case of FOREVER entire parts of the film were re-edited. So Joel may be forced to alter the original cutting decisions to keep it possible to seamlessly branch with the theatrical version. But rest assured the extended cut will clock in somewhere around 2 hrs. 35 mins. It just might take place in the order of events the theatrical version presented rather than the shooting script or workprint edit. With the exception of the Two Face escaping scene, Which will come before the credits - meaning we might loose that nifty WB/Batlogo morph.

Joel knows he is considered the devil to some in the Bat-world and wants this to be his redemption. He's going to add as much footage as possible back in. Also some of the effects were not finished in the early workprint and they need to be finished. He has been given a small budget to work with for that. All new effects will be digital. Which with todays technology will look better than most of the CGI back in 1995.

Current title is going to be '10th Anniversary Extended Director's Cut.'"

Our source says that WB is looking into several marketing/release options -

• BATMAN Special Edition with free BATMAN BEGINS ticket in May, with a box set similar to that of the MATRIX Collection in Oct/Nov.

•All four films out separately in May, or in a box set. This solely depends on whether Joel's new cut is finished or not.

•Holding off on all releases until Oct/Nov in a box set without single releases. This also holds hope for a bonus 9th disc.

Thanks to BATMAN ON FILM once again, the link to the actual news bit here.
Old 01-20-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDOtaku13
Joel knows he is considered the devil to some in the Bat-world and wants this to be his redemption.
He can start by cutting out the rear-end shot(s) of Batman.

Thanks for the update, I'm definitely in there for the first two, free BB ticket too! (maybe)

Last edited by Artman; 01-20-05 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-20-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
He can start by cutting out the rear-end shot(s) of Batman.

(maybe)
and the bat titties as well.
Old 01-20-05, 04:04 PM
Cool New Member

and the bat titties as well.
Yes, use CGI to erase them off of Batman & Robin's suits, and digitally add them to Alicia Silverstone's.

I wonder who the "guest" will be on the Burton commentary track? It better not be just the writer or producer or someone from the crew, it's gotta be like Danny Elfman or Michael Keaton. My geek dream commentary would've been a group commentary with Burton, Keaton and Nicholson and an isolated score with Elfman, guess that's too much to ask for.
Old 01-20-05, 06:23 PM
Banned

You know, the more I think about it, the more I realize that Batman Forever is probably the best of the bunch, I might be interested in Joel's new version. I hate the other three, but Forever had potential and at least tried to make Batman the main character.
Old 01-20-05, 06:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
You know, the more I think about it, the more I realize that Batman Forever is probably the best of the bunch, I might be interested in Joel's new version. I hate the other three, but Forever had potential and at least tried to make Batman the main character.
credibility...still lost!! ROTFL
Old 01-20-05, 06:41 PM
Banned

get a life kid...don't you have better things to do than stalk another person around a board?
Old 01-20-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, use CGI to erase them off of Batman & Robin's suits, and digitally add them to Alicia Silverstone's.

I wonder who the "guest" will be on the Burton commentary track? It better not be just the writer or producer or someone from the crew, it's gotta be like Danny Elfman or Michael Keaton. My geek dream commentary would've been a group commentary with Burton, Keaton and Nicholson and an isolated score with Elfman, guess that's too much to ask for.
maybe they could get Jon Peters to do a commentary. (if you have "an evening with kevin smith" you know he's probably a nutcase.
Old 01-20-05, 07:25 PM
Banned

2 hr 35 min extended cut of Forever? Wow! How long was the theatrical cut?
Old 01-20-05, 07:40 PM

I wonder who the "guest" will be on the Burton commentary track?
Joel Schumacher, ha!
Old 01-20-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, more good news, esp. on the first one. I sure hope Shumacher is through with his cut soon b/c this would be great to get in May with a Begins ticket to boot. A few yrs ago my girlfriend (now wife) bought Batman on DVD for me and said, "I know you're probably waiting on a special edition of this, but I wanted to get it for you anyway". It was later stolen and never replaced.

Come on, WB! Let's get those discs out soon!
Old 01-20-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Per usual, I just purchased the Legacy set on Black Friday. To echo someone elses question: Should I Ebay now or Ebay later?

Stew
Old 01-20-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

finally some news. I've been waiting on these for years.
Old 01-20-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know I have voiced my thoughts already,but now that more news has been posted....
I want a Box Set:SE in May or June.
And THANK GOD the 1st three are getting SEs. Just throw B&R in for Completist sake...
Old 01-20-05, 10:31 PM

Give it to me in a boxset.

I don't wanna have to buy singles....more expensive that way too.
Old 01-20-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Great news. I'm looking forward to buying the Box Set as well.
Old 01-20-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great news on the Burton ones being 2-disc sets. Hopefully there are lots of extras and DTS sound for the films.
Old 01-20-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

iam confused...if there will be a boxed set out by May, then i'll get it! but, if they are planning a boxed set like the matrix in Oct/Nov...then i should wait & get that one!...who's gonna wait till Oct/Nov?
Old 01-21-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Held off buying the current box set. Look forward for this boxset release!
Old 01-21-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by animatedude
iam confused...if there will be a boxed set out by May, then i'll get it! but, if they are planning a boxed set like the matrix in Oct/Nov...then i should wait & get that one!...who's gonna wait till Oct/Nov?
sounds like it's one or the other... seperate releases or boxset (with the possibility of seperate releases later on...one would hope)

If BForever isn't done they should atleast release the first two this summer to take advantage of BBegins. Than they can just make the next two exclusive to the boxset. (just kidding, although seriously I wouldn't mind...not planning to get them)
Old 01-21-05, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

sounding better...still torn though....need a date and a price
Old 01-21-05, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the first two, but didn't like the third one and haven't seen the fourth one. If the box set is cheap enough, I will get it.
Old 01-21-05, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the first and third, didnt care much for second, hated the fourth.
Old 01-21-05, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Loved the 2nd and 3rd, then the 1st. Could do without the 4th but if a box set's the only way to get the first 3, I'm in.
Old 02-13-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Warner better use a new transfer this time and not pull the same sh*t as they did with Heat: SE.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.