Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Who wants full frame?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Who wants full frame?

Old 01-14-05, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who wants full frame?

It is me, or are studios increasingly releasing full frame versions of their films? It's come to the point that nowadays I have to be extra careful and check to see if I'm buying a widescreen version of the film. I can't assume anymore that the DVD I'm getting will be letterboxed.

Just who are these people (I was going to say morons, but I'll be polite) who are demanding full frame versions of movies? Those "black bars" upset them so much? What backwards country do they come from?
Old 01-14-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's not new. FS titles have always been more abundant than WS titles. I was at Wal-Mart this week and virtually every title was FS.
Old 01-14-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts
"What backwards country do they come from?"

Wal-Mart!
Old 01-14-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Makes me feel good that we haven't let Wal-Mart into my town!
Old 01-14-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by SergioM
...... Those "black bars" upset them so much? ......
I don't mind black bars at all. I hate when I accidently walk into a gay bar though.
Old 01-14-05, 03:50 PM

Can't wait to see the look on their faces when they finally purchase a widescreen TV.

-AC
Old 01-14-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have several full frame DVDs, thank you.
Old 01-14-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by acostigan
Can't wait to see the look on their faces when they finally purchase a widescreen TV.

-AC
Nah, they'll just end up stretching it to fit anyway. My mom's a perfect example. 65" Mitsu 16:9 and she still buys full frame, even though I've tried to help her see the light. Oh well.
Old 01-14-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SergioM
Just who are these people (I was going to say morons, but I'll be polite) who are demanding full frame versions of movies? Those "black bars" upset them so much? What backwards country do they come from?
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, movies are nothing more than a simple source of entertainment to some people? Some people don't disgustingly obsess over things like this and have better things in their lives to do then watch movies all day. Did it ever occur to you that somebody that may buy one DVD every once in a while or rent once a week only could really care less and simply wants to watch a movie? Hmm.. I would reconsider your priorities in life if you are blindly (and anonymously, how quaint) insulting people you don't know based on their preference to view AN ENTERTAINMENT MEDIUM.
Old 01-14-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While I hate the times that I accidentally buy a P&S or full frame movie, and refuse to watch them, I also cannot see why people have such a hard time understanding why people like full frame. OAR is for us movie buffs, but when your TV is so large, honestly it makes sense to want the image to fill it. A lot of people could care less about OAR, surround sound, resolution, HDTV, or any other technical or artistic crap that goes along with this stuff. Most of us love it here, and particularly love DVD because it really has ushered in the prevalance of widescreen.

But, really, a lot of people watch the movies as a apssing entertainement, and could care less how beautfiul it looks or that it matches director's intent. They're not morons...they just don't have your or mine priorities. In the end...we jsut have to deal with it.
Old 01-14-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I have several full frame DVDs, thank you.
Yeah! Me too!

Let's see . . . there's . . . Ikiru and Citizen Kane and Metropolis and Modern Times and Grand Illusion and . . .

Old 01-14-05, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Spanky BananaPants
Nah, they'll just end up stretching it to fit anyway. My mom's a perfect example. 65" Mitsu 16:9 and she still buys full frame, even though I've tried to help her see the light. Oh well.
i have a friend of mine that i have tried and tired and his answer

"i want for the picture to fill up the whole tv"
Old 01-14-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, movies are nothing more than a simple source of entertainment to some people? Some people don't disgustingly obsess over things like this and have better things in their lives to do then watch movies all day.
So they should have no problem watching widescreen movies when they ARE watching something.
Old 01-14-05, 05:07 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have no problem with people who prefer foolscreen (unless they're my friends or family). I don't like it when they won't even listen to see what the differences are.
Old 01-14-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
First off I always buy widescreen, but I never hesitate to buy a fullscreen movie if thats the only way its available.

I'm probably way in the minority here but I honestly don't care what people buy or how the watch their movies. I hear stories of people stopping others at stores and "educating" them about widescreen. If I had a nickel for everytime I was at Best Buy and heard people talking about getting fullscreen over widescreen, I'd have a whole lot of nickels. I've also heard stories of people educating friends and family (I even did this once). But now I just don't care. As long as OAR is available for most of the movies I want, and they are 95% of the time, then perfect, I'm happy.

The only time I had a problem with fullscreen was when I was being told that there was a "Battle for Widescreen" and that fullscreen was taking over the DVD market. Eventually I learned that that was bullshit and that OAR will always be available.
Old 01-14-05, 05:24 PM
Cool New Member

Doesn't it seem like there's a thread about this at just about any given time?

People either don't know what they're missing, or they don't care. Personally I wish we'd change the names to 'Theatrical' and 'Cropped', but I suppose that would overly confuse everyone. And widescreen dvds don't always have the theatrical aspect ratio anyway.
Old 01-14-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'm probably way in the minority here but I honestly don't care what people buy or how the watch their movies. I hear stories of people stopping others at stores and "educating" them about widescreen. If I had a nickel for everytime I was at Best Buy and heard people talking about getting fullscreen over widescreen, I'd have a whole lot of nickels. I've also heard stories of people educating friends and family (I even did this once). But now I just don't care. As long as OAR is available for most of the movies I want, and they are 95% of the time, then perfect, I'm happy.

I know what the differences are, but I just don't give a shit.

For visually oriented movies, I want OAR. But for stupid, dialogue driven comedies, I'll watch P&S.
Old 01-14-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marty888
Makes me feel good that we haven't let Wal-Mart into my town!
They only haven't moved to Manhattan cuz there isn't available real estate. That's why they're opening one in Queens.
Old 01-14-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bronkster
I don't mind black bars at all. I hate when I accidently walk into a straight bar though.
Fixed
Old 01-14-05, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bronkster
I don't mind black bars at all. I hate when I accidently walk into a gay bar though.
Old 01-15-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

After 5 years, I've finally got my parents to check if a movie is widescreen!
Old 01-15-05, 12:49 AM

Never assume. Always make sure you get what you want.

I think I've only got one fullscreen DVD - Windwalker. Because there is no proper OAR version, AFAIK.

And Marty888 - Maybe no WalMart for now, but just wait. They'll get around to you sooner or later. Let's see... in my area I know of four WalMarts within a short distance, and a fifth a bit further away. And despite that, they're trying to build another that would be even closer to me, within a few miles of my apartment.
Old 01-15-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i could care less what other people "buy"

the problem comes in when the studio only releases the FS versions

but anyone who can't understand the diffrence when shown a side by side picture...yikes

i guess worring about them is about as crazy as worrying about "those little black bars"
Old 01-15-05, 08:49 PM

I bought a FS DVD the other week. It was Child's Play, and Ill happily double dip if they ever some how with a miracle go back in time and get the WS out of the building before it went down from a fire. For now, my Chucky Collection is complete, and for that I am grateful.
Old 01-15-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GmoneyOwnsYou
I bought a FS DVD the other week. It was Child's Play, and Ill happily double dip if they ever some how with a miracle go back in time and get the WS out of the building before it went down from a fire. For now, my Chucky Collection is complete, and for that I am grateful.

WS childs play exist...the master might be gone, but they could do this from a existing print...

is it really "complete" if your missing half the picture from the first movie?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.