DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   New Stand By Me? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/404310-new-stand-me.html)

cinephan 01-09-05 12:02 PM

New Stand By Me?

DVD Answers has this article up:

Early details have begun to emerge on a new collector's edition of Stand By Me which stars Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, Jerry O'Connell, Kiefer Sutherland and John Cusack. The new edition of this Rob Reiner directed film, will arrive in shops from the 22nd March, priced at around $24.96. The two-disc package will include the CD soundtrack, a collectible booklet along with a director's commentary, a Walking the Tracks: The Summer of Stand By Me featurette, a music video and more. We hope to bring you further details on this one, including a look at the artwork, shortly. Make sure you stay tuned for that.

Other than the soundtrack and the booklet, isn't this exactly the same as the previous release?

Third Baseman 01-09-05 12:06 PM

Maybe Wil can give us some inside info? Isn't he posting here now? :hscratch:

Dalvin 01-09-05 12:12 PM

Yeah, I thought Wil was posting her now too. I thought he was so damn funny on "The Weakest Link"

FinkPish 01-09-05 12:16 PM

This sounds exactly like the last release, except they have included the CD and booklet. I still don't know why they don't do a group commentary of all the kids for this one, ala Goonies. Reiner's commentary is a bit dull.

Zachary C. 01-09-05 06:51 PM

It would be nice if they put a 5.1 or at least a stereo track on this 'new' version.

Bill Geiger 01-09-05 07:03 PM

Japan got the Superbit....shame we don't get the same.

DonnachaOne 01-09-05 07:07 PM

Sounds like another Columbia "Deluxe" repackage of the old disc with a soundtrack disc...

sherm42 01-09-05 07:24 PM

I haven't seen any mention on Wil's site. It would be cool if he does post here.

I just finished his book Just a Geek. A really great read. He's a funny guy and a good writer.

TheKing 01-10-05 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
This sounds exactly like the last release, except they have included the CD and booklet. I still don't know why they don't do a group commentary of all the kids for this one, ala Goonies. Reiner's commentary is a bit dull.

Ummmmm because one of them is dead?

I mean yeah, you could do it with the other three, but it would seem like it was missing something.

Buttmunker 01-10-05 05:40 AM

Where's the deleted scenes? The outtakes? This is from 1986, not 1956 - surely stuff hit the cutting room floor? Surely Reiner didn't get everything he wanted perfectly the first time he shot the scenes? Could he have?

Bill Geiger 01-10-05 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by TheKing

I mean yeah, you could do it with the other three, but it would seem like it was missing something.

Still no excuse.... River would do it from the grave!

Filmmaker 01-10-05 10:32 AM

Hmm, a soundtrack CD for a DVD that already contains the isolated soundtrack...sure, I get it...

digitalfreaknyc 01-10-05 11:45 AM

The isolated soundtrack contains the orchestral music composed for the film. The soundtrack CD didn't contain any of these tracks. It's all the 50's source music.

And I'm kinda happy it's just this type of re-release. I just bought the superbit off of ebay and can't wait to hear the remastered DTS track. It's supposed to sound very good.

Fartface 01-10-05 12:32 PM

A Wil Wheaton website! Lord help us! Is he still putting on the pounds? Last thing I saw him in (some grade Z sci-fi flick), he was on his was to becoming quite a porker!

digitalfreaknyc 01-10-05 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fartface
A Wil Wheaton website! Lord help us! Is he still putting on the pounds? Last thing I saw him in (some grade Z sci-fi flick), he was on his was to becoming quite a porker!

You definitely live up to your name.

demonio 01-10-05 02:12 PM

Lmao

ceeece 01-10-05 03:52 PM

If it has better picture quality, I MIGHT bite. But seeing as thought I already paid $25.00 for mine (now it is in the $10 bin) I think maybe keeping mine isn't so bad after all.

chileorgullo 01-10-05 07:44 PM

same artwork?

Cameron 01-10-05 09:51 PM

i hate these re packs....new content on the disc would be great, but the books are cheese and most soundtracks i want i already own...the price point just doesn't merit this....oh well, the movie is a good one....like to see some new artwork

Fartface 01-11-05 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
You definitely live up to your name.

And that's supposed to mean what? Have you got something against fat people? I certainly don't, or are you just upset he's not the skinny boy with the cute little butt anymore? Obviously he's has no acting career anymore, and apparently he doesn't want one or he wouldn't have let himself get so fat.

ViewAskewbian 01-11-05 01:11 PM

This seems to be the same thing they did with the Easy Rider DVD. All the re-releases are becoming such a pain in the ass!

rfduncan 01-11-05 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fartface
And that's supposed to mean what? Have you got something against fat people? I certainly don't, or are you just upset he's not the skinny boy with the cute little butt anymore? Obviously he's has no acting career anymore, and apparently he doesn't want one or he wouldn't have let himself get so fat.

You, sir, are a complete and unadulterated moron.

Besides, what does that have to do with this new version of Stand By Me?

nemein 01-11-05 02:10 PM

<b>MOD NOTE: Fartface, rfduncan & digitalfreaknyc please stop your quibbling and stay on topic.</B>

Cameron 01-11-05 11:13 PM

pics up at DVD ANSWERS

FinkPish 01-11-05 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by TheKing

I think doing a group commentary would be great for this one, especially since
Spoiler:
the one who ended up dying in the movie (in the epilogue at least) also died in real life.