DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Blade Runner Criterion DVD??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/403741-blade-runner-criterion-dvd.html)

Bobby Shalom 01-05-05 03:49 PM

Blade Runner Criterion DVD???

A friend of mine is really interested in buying this, and I told him I was pretty sure it would be a bootleg.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

<i>Mod note: now that the question has been answered I'm removing the link...

thanks
nemein</i>

dyerjp 01-05-05 03:52 PM

you're right, BOOTLEG!!!!

TheHistorian 01-05-05 03:52 PM

There is no Criterion DVD version of Blade Runner.

Fandango 01-05-05 03:53 PM

Yup, its a bootleg. If its not on www.criterionco.com its not real.

Bobby Shalom 01-05-05 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by TheHistorian
There is no Criterion DVD version of Blade Runner.

That's what I told him. And then he said something like there might be a European division of Criterion. I told him I would post this on here for feedback. My theory was that someone ripped the Criterion Laserdisc and then burned it on to a DVD.

Heliosphann 01-05-05 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby Shalom
That's what I told him. And then he said something like there might be a European division of Criterion. I told him I would post this on here for feedback. My theory was that someone ripped the Criterion Laserdisc and then burned it on to a DVD.

DING DING DING DING!!! I think we've got a winner! :)

Seriously though that's probably what it is, just a port of the LD.

digitalfreaknyc 01-05-05 04:06 PM

These were all over ebay. I'm actually downloading it from a torrent right now. And before you ask, Yes, I own the laserdisc as well. ;)

OldBoy 01-05-05 04:37 PM

That is awesome!! It has to be real even if its from the LD, its Criterion LD and all the content is exact. What a thing for a collector!! People must get this, I must get this and put it next to "The Killer"!! I really didn't even know the DVD or LD existed!

garmonbozia 01-05-05 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby Shalom
And then he said something like there might be a European division of Criterion.

Criterions are only distributed in Region 1.

buckee1 01-05-05 06:15 PM

Strictly a boot. Great material, but a boot nonetheless.

DrGerbil 01-05-05 06:42 PM

$75 for a bootleg?! :lol:

TNAJason 01-05-05 06:52 PM

I want that really bad,but $75?! I really want it but I repeat $75!?!?!?!

Joe Molotov 01-05-05 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
$75 for a bootleg?! :lol:

You think that's bad, I was at a flea market and they were selling copies of Song of the South for $49.99 on VHS or $79.99 on DVD. It was one disc, didn't appear to have an extras, and we were at a friggin flea market! The price was to pay for copying expenses, they assured me. -ohbfrank- If I knew who to call to turn them in, I might have done it just on good prinicple.

TNAJason 01-05-05 07:07 PM

*Walks in*
$75!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
*Leaves pissed off*

Jackskeleton 01-05-05 07:14 PM

Ha. My LD cost me $2 bucks. :)

Bill Geiger 01-05-05 07:34 PM

What is funny is that it says Criterion on the front and the back of the cover has the Warner Brothers label. :lol:

supersonicx 01-05-05 07:42 PM

Haha. It also says it's in anamorphic.
I didn't know they could put boots in anamorphic.

mrcoaster 01-05-05 07:56 PM

Wow - $75...it must be a really nice DVD. Is it also in high-definition, too?

chileorgullo 01-05-05 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
Criterions are only distributed in Region 1.

Arent' Criterions R0?

Matthew Chmiel 01-05-05 08:37 PM

Arent' Criterions R0?
Some will be R1 mostly due to specific studio wishes (e.g. their Buena Vista titles).

milo bloom 01-05-05 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by supersonicx
Haha. It also says it's in anamorphic.
I didn't know they could put boots in anamorphic.

Treading on thin ice here...but I've heard of people who burned their own DVDs from LDs, and used computer software to enhance the image to make a less-crappy anamorphic image (than just zooming it on a WS set). They mentioned using the best Star Wars LDs to make a pretty good set of 16x9 original version DVDs.

Note, I don't remember who it was, and no it wasn't me, so don't ask.

The Valeyard 01-05-05 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Treading on thin ice here...but I've heard of people who burned their own DVDs from LDs, and used computer software to enhance the image to make a less-crappy anamorphic image (than just zooming it on a WS set). They mentioned using the best Star Wars LDs to make a pretty good set of 16x9 original version DVDs.

Note, I don't remember who it was, and no it wasn't me, so don't ask.

They do look nice......

-biggrin-

Andrew

Class316 01-06-05 08:00 AM

$75?? wow!!

Email me if your friend wants something better :D

digitalfreaknyc 01-06-05 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
They do look nice......

-biggrin-

Andrew

They do but dual layer anamorphic versions are coming out soon which will almost surely be better.

Oh and fyi...i downloaded the Blade Runner last night. Looks pretty bad on my HDTV. But then again, I prefer the DC anyway.

Class316 01-06-05 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
They do but dual layer anamorphic versions are coming out soon which will almost surely be better.

Oh and fyi...i downloaded the Blade Runner last night. Looks pretty bad on my HDTV. But then again, I prefer the DC anyway.

The version with extra violence and voiceovers won't be out on DVD.