DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Saw

Old 01-06-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 878 Likes on 396 Posts
At the bare minimum, it's worth a rent.

I will probably buy once it hits $10, or 3 for $20.
Old 01-06-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MKSilv
Saw was one of the 10 best movies of the last year. I truly do not understand all the negative comments towards the movie. It is strongly in the vein of "Seven", but with a lesser quality of actor and budget. That being said, unlike Seven, it is clever and not predicatable. Nowadays, there are very few movie scripts that I can't predict the ending to way before the final reel hits. Saw is the exception. It has a great ending that stays true to the rules established by the film.
That was another big problem I had with the film. Total bullshit ending. Like someone said earlier, no development at all for the ending. At least with Seven, there were some clues and motivation. Saw's ending was absolutley retarded and full of holes. Seven's ending drops a fat deuce all over Saw's ending.
Old 01-07-05, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always thought a lot of the reasoning behind the Seven/Saw comparisons were because. . .
Spoiler:
both killers thought their murders were morally justified, not because of their endings. Saw has a twist ending; Seven does not. Fincher's film has a shocking ending, IMO, but it certainly isn't a twist. A twist would be like having Mills or Somerset be an accomplice or something.
That said, I think Seven is much better than Saw. So much so that the constant comparisons make me feel kind of sad.
Old 01-07-05, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm. Apparently, if my script is bad enough, my actors are bad enough and my budget is low enough, everyone will assume my film is great.

Originally Posted by MKSilv
And for the majority of people out there it is absolutely fair to say, if you liked "Seven" then you will like saw.
No. No, it is not. For some people, yes (rather unfortunately). But the majority? No.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 01-07-05 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-07-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well, I think the opinions vary enough that whoever hasn't seen it will just have to watch it and decide for themselves.
Old 01-07-05, 09:32 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw was soooo awful. Its a downright comedy in parts, people were cracking up in many parts of the movie theater I saw it in. I hate movies that take HUGE shortcuts in common sense and SAW is one of the worst offenders.

Cops who dont even KNOW the BASIC rules to being a cop
silly 'evil genius' senarios that require the victim to play by the rules.
common sense thrown out the window whenever possible.
stupid impossible twist at the end
i could go on and on
Old 01-07-05, 02:20 PM

I loved the film in its Uncut form thats for sure pity you americans got the hacked up edit, dont waste your cash on the american dvd! go elsewhere!

apart from that I really liked the film and I thought that ending was mindblowing! best thing in films for years!
Old 01-07-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i thought Saw was great. poorly acted? absolutely, but then there arent many horror films that arent poorly acted. i thought it had genuinely creepy scenes, like the garage and the photographers apartment, and a great premise. plot holes? sure, but again, thats pretty common in horror films. there are an extreme few perfectly crafted horror films, this was very good for what it was. and i dont think the "twist" ending was impossible at all but i dont wanna get into spoilers.
Old 01-07-05, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Romerojpg
I loved the film in its Uncut form thats for sure pity you americans got the hacked up edit, dont waste your cash on the american dvd! go elsewhere!
The director said less than 10 seconds were cut to get the R rating.
Old 01-07-05, 05:43 PM
Banned

So wait...you don't like Halloween?

Old 01-07-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me?

No (although I've never seen it).

Stew