DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   What is your DVD-Related New Year's Resolution? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/403380-what-your-dvd-related-new-years-resolution.html)

Loc Nar 01-03-05 01:30 PM

What is your DVD-Related New Year's Resolution?

My main one is to finally set aside time to watch Schindler's List. No matter how many times in the past I've considered watching it, I've always ended up grabbing another disc off the shelf.

I also resolve to not get so suckered in by Best Buy bonus discs. I used to be very picky about comedies that I bought, since IMHO, the overwhelming majority of them had little replay value. The Anchorman DVD plus bonus disc last week at $14.99 at Best Buy suckered me into not only a blind buy, but also into the 2 for $25 with it and Old School (a movie I saw and enjoyed but had previously passed on owning because it didn't meet my rigorous standards for comedy ownership). I'm so ashamed.

What's your 2005 resolution?

drjay 01-03-05 01:35 PM

No more buying. Period. I wonder how long this will last =\. Luckily I went out with a bang since I snagged the Twilight Zone box set from Coconuts for $66. I have a backlog of somewhere around 80 movies, mostly all of which are arthouse/foreign/classic movies (read: not passive watching), so I will be hammering on those from now on.

TNAJason 01-03-05 01:39 PM

To own 1,000 DVDs by the end of year(I have 837).........

Geofferson 01-03-05 01:40 PM

To watch the Alien Quadrilogy (and all its extras) over the course of a single weekend.

asianxcore 01-03-05 01:41 PM

To watch the movies in my "unwatched" pile.

DVDsAreMyLIFE 01-03-05 01:44 PM

My resolution is to reach 200 DVDs by the end of the year, at 154 right now, altough that shouldn't be a problem and I am hoping to reach that by atleast the beginning of summer.

Hugomarink 01-03-05 01:52 PM

To buy less and rent more. I have too many DVDs that just I never watch more than once. That's a waste of money. I really only want to buy stuff I know I'll watch again even if it's only once every 5 years.

I would also like to watch all the seasons of X-Files to see if I can make heads or tails of the ongoing storyline but I doubt I'll ever find the time to watch all that.

Libby 01-03-05 02:53 PM

1.) to watch all movies in my collection atleast once this year.
2.) to finally hit the 100 dvd mark ( I know its a small collection)
3.) to rent more, and go to movie theatres less.
4.) Start collecting more tv shows on dvd

gutwrencher 01-03-05 03:08 PM

to buy more, and more and then...a few more.

my goal of reaching 2,000 titles by spring will fall a little short. my library is nearing completion and should end up at around 2,400. my simple goal is to reach that mark by next New Years.

QuiGonJosh 01-03-05 03:13 PM

and then you'll actually watch them all, gut?

gutwrencher 01-03-05 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
and then you'll actually watch them all, gut?

hell no....it's just to say I have some.:p

of course I'll be watching them....I'm fond of everything I own. it's a library. just like books...they are also there for research and historical reasons. a book may not be checked out and studied until it's needed....same for my films. my fave titles and those I deem essential, will always serve a purpose.

paulringodaman 01-03-05 03:20 PM

My resolution is to stop buying DVD's based on hype and stop being such a completist:

I'm not the biggest fan of the Matrix series, but not only did I buy each one right after they came out, I'm ready to buy that 10 DVD set. I actually HATE Matrix Revolutions yet I still need that set. Same goes with buying TV shows. Some TV 1st seasons are primitive humor to me: But I need them allllllllll.

Something tells me that this resolution will not hold much longer.

Tarantino 01-03-05 03:21 PM

I have a lot of unwatched DVD's that I want to get to. At around 600 DVD's now, I have probably 150-200 unwatched. I need to shave that number.

Also, I want to watch the extras on the Alien and Matrix sets.

Damed 01-03-05 03:22 PM

Majorly slow down my purchasing, as my first child will be here any day now....

lordopus99 01-03-05 04:18 PM

not to buy anymore movies that I haven't seen that I have heard I need to see until I see the ones I already bought like that i.e. Scarface, Swingers, Eternal Sunshine...

tommyp007 01-03-05 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
To watch the movies in my "unwatched" pile.

same here

Apone 01-03-05 04:39 PM

To buy Indiana Jones boxset & Star Wars trilogy.

Mike Lowrey 01-03-05 04:48 PM

To finish off the few TV series that I'm currently collecting, so that my buying will go way down with just the few new movie releases here and there.

I just got an ebay deal over the weekend that will finish off my ST:VOY set. ($225 for the last 3 seasons ($75/each)).

Then after next week, I'll just have one more season each for Hercules and Xena.

angryyoungman 01-03-05 04:49 PM

To pick up the pace in watching my Netflix rentals so I can get a better value each month. I slowed down so much a few months this fall that I made my per disc cost not much cheaper than renting from Blockbuster. I'm not thinking of quitting, because the service and selection are infinitely better, but I should be getting some bang for my buck as well.

And to finish watching Ken Burns' Baseball before next season is in full swing. :)

Third Baseman 01-03-05 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by TNAJason
To own 1,000 DVDs by the end of year(I have 46).........

Same. :up: :hscratch:

retihsuhnt 01-03-05 05:48 PM

To reduce my 'collection' of ~110 titles to a 'library' of fifty (50) titles.

I have recently noticed that a majority of my 'collection' has been left unopened and thus unwatched since I purchased them. I figure that if I can simply keep my 'Top 50' I know that Ill watch and re-watch all of them in my 'library'.

Ill be renting a lot more, rather than buying a title that Ill never watch (because of a great price) or watch once.

Simpson Purist 01-03-05 06:02 PM

To be more conservative on blind and impulse purchases.

critterdvd 01-03-05 06:16 PM

a) to watch all the commentary I havn't watched on my TV Sets

b) not to buy any new series with more than one season (except for of course "Charmed")

TomOpus 01-03-05 06:23 PM

I'm gonna slow down on buying. Last couple years I've averaged 220 a year. My unwatched pile is ~160.

FatTony 01-03-05 07:03 PM

I'm going to try and buy less. Specifically with TV season sets, as I've found myself going back to them less than I thought I actually would. Though, if that fails, I may just get rid of cable.