Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Who leaves the shrink-wrap on their DVDs? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sldvd
So far only one person has replied "yes". What happened to all those self-proclaimed anal people who agreed with that guy about refusing to buy the DVD set that had gotten imprints from a cashier writing on a post-it note on top of it? And the ones who like to keep their sets in such perfect condition that they won't even let their friends/family look at them? I guess they're not back from the 4th of July weekend yet.
I'm anal in regards to people looking at my DVDs. If they're looking for a movie to watch I'll bring up my collection on the computer. If they want to look at a specific DVD, I'll get it for them. Of course this doesn't always work and I don't freak out about it. And in regards to the original question, no. I don't keep the shrinkwrap because ideally I'll be the one caring for them. In the end all I care about are the actual movies, so the condition of the packaging is a secondary issue (but still important).
Old 07-06-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Life is too short to save shrinkwrap......
Old 07-06-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
2 things:

1) No
2) This should've been a poll
Old 07-06-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No...it's trash.

Jesus, do what I do. Buy protective sleeves for 3 cents each and seal them all. I have 2000 titles sealed...as it helps protect the case for various reasons.

What happened to all those self-proclaimed anal people...
Maybe we are busy working for a living?
Old 07-06-05, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Atreus
I save the shrink wrap but I throw out the DVDs. I find this to be the best way to say space. It's not like I have time to watch any movies anyway since I have to work all the time to support my Shrink Wrap habit.
Old 07-06-05, 08:02 PM

OK I have a different approach...

The dvd's I own that come in cardboard cases (mostly TV season sets and 2 Disc SE's like Se7en, Boogie Nights, Singing In The Rain, Tombstone, Fight Club, Amelie, etc.) I cut only the side to let the inside case(s) slide out.

So for those dvd's I do keep the shrinkwrap unless it is too loose, doesn't look attractive, or I botched the cristening of opening it. Otherwise if it's not in those categories then it goes in the trash.
Old 07-06-05, 08:26 PM
Cool New Member

no..i use it as a condom.
Old 07-06-05, 08:43 PM

rediculous. so you have dvds that are in cases that are in slipcovers that are still in shrinkwrap? By the time i got to the movie to watch, i wouldnt want to watch it anymore b/c it took too much effort to get to the movie.
Old 07-06-05, 09:16 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by danganet

The dvd's I own that come in cardboard cases (mostly TV season sets and 2 Disc SE's like Se7en, Boogie Nights, Singing In The Rain, Tombstone, Fight Club, Amelie, etc.) I cut only the side to let the inside case(s) slide out.

So for those dvd's I do keep the shrinkwrap unless it is too loose, doesn't look attractive, or I botched the cristening of opening it. Otherwise if it's not in those categories then it goes in the trash.

same here
Old 07-06-05, 09:24 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Atreus
I save the shrink wrap but I throw out the DVDs. I find this to be the best way to say space. It's not like I have time to watch any movies anyway since I have to work all the time to support my Shrink Wrap habit.

Old 07-06-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
No. It goes in the garbage.
Old 07-07-05, 12:05 AM

I dont keep the shrink wrap but I do cut out any "features" or price sticker. I then place them inside the case along with the receipt.
Old 07-07-05, 12:19 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by danganet

ditto, though only on box sets
Old 07-07-05, 12:29 AM

*gasp* I thought I was the only one! I do it with box sets, rarely individual releases (they have to be a little rare or something). Yeah.
Old 07-07-05, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
You can get imprints on there even with the shrink wrap.
Very true. But the shrinkwrap will help for those times when someone forgets to wash their hands after eating chocolate.

And just to clarify, I've only done this with my X-Files box sets... not with any single releases. Although I was forced to tear off the shrinkwrap from one of the box sets today because it was too tight and I couldn't get the thing that holds the discs out. So I will probably just tear the shrinkwrap off the rest of the boxes, because everything needs to be consistent. If one of them doesn't have the shrinkwrap, then the rest of them can't either!
Old 07-07-05, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by eXcentris
I wrote a script about a deranged guy who broke into people's homes to steal the shrinkwrap off unopened DVD's. He then sewed the pieces together to make scary clown suits which he wore to crash neighborhood children's birthday parties and terrify them.
While it's true that I do break in, steal the shrink wrap, make the clown suits and then terrify neighborhood children at birthday parties, I think you're being a little judgemental calling me "deranged".
Old 07-07-05, 04:19 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sldvd
For my X-Files box sets, I carefully cut the shrinkwrap along 3 edges of the top so that it turned into a flap, and I could slide out the thing that holds all the discs. This way the slipcase remains protected, too.

Anyone else do this?

Slowly...raises....hand.

In addition to that all my 'snappers' and single size cardboard box dvds are put into re-sealable Japanese mylar bags, similar to the bags you would store vinyl records and even cd's in.

Yes, I have a problem.
Old 07-07-05, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sure, it's fun to take all the shrinkwrap and make a fortress out of it in your living room. Just remember though kids, make sure you cut a door in it or you might suffocate.
Old 07-07-05, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
No, I don't save the shrinkwrap.

If you treat your DVDs with even a modicum of care the case will never get dirty or damaged.

Do you shrinkwrap your living room furniture?
Old 07-07-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i used to keep the shrinkwrap on my albums (lps) until it got too tattered. years later i took it all off. they are all still in really nice condition for their age. for dvds i never bothered to do this.
Old 07-07-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No and frankly I'm insulted by the idea.
Old 07-07-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hal9000
Slowly...raises....hand.

In addition to that all my 'snappers' and single size cardboard box dvds are put into re-sealable Japanese mylar bags, similar to the bags you would store vinyl records and even cd's in.

Yes, I have a problem.
Hey, that's step 1!
Old 07-07-05, 04:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I must admit that I would possibly do this if I didn't keep all of my DVDs in binders.

Living in a small condo with 1500 or so DVDs presented a storage/display problem. I just can not possibly justify the shelving/bookcase space to have all of my DVDs in their cases. So I buy those binders that hold just the DVDs and inserts. I'm able to store all my DVDs in about a quarter of the space maybe.

(To be honest, I guess that overall I lose out in the space deal, since I can't bear to throw away the empty cases yet. They are all kept in storage bins in various closets or a friend's garage.)

To continue rambling, I often regret buying all of the binders, as I really would like to have them all on display. Having to look thru binders to see my collection is a pain sometimes, and not as impressive obviously.
Old 07-07-05, 05:09 PM

funny thread laughing all the way,
i like to throw trash away so i have space in the house
Old 07-07-05, 05:27 PM

for when they used to wrap slip cases too, I just cut open the top of the slip case and slid the dvd out. keeping the slipcase in mint condition, take the shrinkwrap off of the dvd case of course.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.