Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Furniture

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Furniture

I don't know if this is the right forum, but I need a recommendation on DVD furniture. I need a cabinet(s) that has doors that can close and lock. A lot of people in my house have been borrowing my movies without permission, and I want to put an end to it. I have almost 300 DVDs; can anyone recommend a single piece of furniture (any colour) for a good price that can hold that many? I'd buy two of them at most.
Thanks, and move this thread if it isn't the proper forum.
Old 01-02-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
No offense, but it sounds like you just need to put your foot down and tell these people to keep their hands off your movies without your permission. Are these people family, friends or what?

As far as furniture, there's lots of places and types of cabinets. Just do a search for "DVD rack" or "DVD cabinet" or "multimedia rack" or something of that nature. Or try eBay with the same searches.
Old 01-02-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Family. My brother is usually only home when I'm not, so I don't have a chance to talk to him, and if I do it won't stop him since he does it when I'm not home.
That's only part of the problem anyway, since I've been needing some furniture for my DVDs for years. They're just sitting on some makeshift shelf now.
Old 01-02-05, 11:10 AM
Cool New Member

Just a quick word of caution. Most of the people on here that complain of 'dvd rot' or how a certain dvd's stop working after a while seem to store them in enclosed shelving units or your basic bookcase with doors.

There alot of glue in the wood that is used to make these units and they release alot of gas and fumes. This can cause quite the bad reaction with dvd's, your basic layer failure and you end up with an expensive coaster.

You might want to consider charging anyone who borrows any of your collection a 'service charge' instead. And don't let up on collecting any money. That way they'll either stop 'borrowing' or you'll end up with more cash to buy more dvd's. But no more free rides at your expense.
Old 01-02-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Sounds like your brother needs to learn the meaning of the word "respect." I went through the same thing with my brother years ago, so I feel for ya.
Old 01-02-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Is it possible to store the DVDs in your room until you get a lockable shelf?

I like the "rental charge" idea but only if it's enforceable. Maybe you can stick up a sign stating such?

You said "family", do you live at home where you might want to speak to your parents (that is, if they're not part of the problem).

btw, that's a nice collection you have so I'd want to protect it too.
Old 01-02-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, you have a great collection.
Old 01-02-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is where is got mine www.sorice.com I already have two of the b-300 and plan on geting another soon. They have a lot of different options to choose from but I don't see any locks on it.
Old 01-02-05, 01:11 PM

Try this site: www.allmultimediastorage.com. They have a bunch of options. I bought this one about a year and a half ago and I've been very happy with it: http://www.allmultimediastorage.com/...tCode=OVH-0700.

It will give you room to expand as you, no doubt, add to your collection. I'm actually going to probably have to get a second one soon.
Old 01-02-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is that true with the shelves being detrimental to the DVDs? Yikes. Perhaps I can find a way to vent it or something?
As for the rental thing - no, I don't really think I can enforce that, because as I said, he's home when I'm not and that's when he watches, so I don't even know when he watches them sometimes. But I do know that he's a slob and has scratched many discs (fortunately, not enough to damage them).
Jray: Thanks! I really like that one. The dimensions seem fine also. Now I need to start saving. Like Tomopus said though, I may just move them into my room and get a working lock on my door.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-02-05, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Graftenberg
This is where is got mine www.sorice.com I already have two of the b-300 and plan on geting another soon. They have a lot of different options to choose from but I don't see any locks on it.

Ooh, how are they? I've been wanting to pick up a B-300 for a while, they're pretty much the only storage with a door I've been able to find. Haven't been able to find any feedback about Sorice online, however.
Old 01-02-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Zenigata
Ooh, how are they? I've been wanting to pick up a B-300 for a while, they're pretty much the only storage with a door I've been able to find. Haven't been able to find any feedback about Sorice online, however.
I like it a lot. Very nice product. I can get four rows of dvd's then a row of cd's on one.
Old 01-02-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought this was going to be about furniture made from DVDs.
Old 01-02-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are near to an IKEA, you can make some nice ones yourself. Buy four Benno standing racks, then buy 2 doors separately. (the doors fit perfectly but are for different cabinets). Not all colors of doors are available for matching Benno racks. Connect two of the standing racks together then attach the glass doors. The pick up some nice brass lock/hinges at Home Depot or Lowes and you're set.

The stands were $49 each and the doors were either $100 or $200 for two, can't remember which (they come in pairs).

Here is a crappy picture of mine. No locks but I don't need them.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...&page=25&pp=25
Old 01-02-05, 11:50 PM

Go to a WOOD furniture place and buy nice adjustable bookshelves. No particle board, glues or anything else. Just real wood and nails. I keep two nice bookshelves in a sliding closet which I can close.
Old 01-03-05, 04:02 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by smoke67
Just a quick word of caution. Most of the people on here that complain of 'dvd rot' or how a certain dvd's stop working after a while seem to store them in enclosed shelving units or your basic bookcase with doors.

There alot of glue in the wood that is used to make these units and they release alot of gas and fumes. This can cause quite the bad reaction with dvd's, your basic layer failure and you end up with an expensive coaster.
Before you freak a lot of people out, can you cite one thread stating this. Not that I don't believe you, but I could not find any references to this phenomenon on this site or the net.
Old 01-03-05, 04:05 AM
Cool New Member

I've got three of these bad boys:

http://www.allmultimediastorage.com/...tCode=CVS-0287
Old 01-03-05, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also would not recommend one of those wooden lockable storage units. If you get any, get the metal ones. But hey, just store them in your room and lock them up in there. That's the best suggestion I can think of.
Old 01-03-05, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I use Can-Am's stackable locking cabinets which I highly recommend.

I have six of the three drawer cabinets:

and two of the two drawer cabinets: