DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Should I get "Garden State" now or will there be an SE? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/402592-should-i-get-garden-state-now-will-there-se.html)

OldBoy 12-28-04 07:25 PM

Should I get "Garden State" now or will there be an SE?

I just rented and watched. What a movie! So good and unusual. Original and sedatingly entertaining. You get those slow burn giddy chuckles at most scenes. Zach Braff is quite a talent and I look forward to more of his stuff.

So usually the movie alone would warrant a purchase for me and I already did all the extras, sans most of the commentary, though I heard and enjoyed some by Zach and Natalie, but I heard rumblings that Zach might do a SE sometime. I saw all the deleted scenes and I wouldn't mind him putting some of the scenes back in. I feel I can watch any of his scenes, it was all just gets beneath the skin in such a good way.

Is this true and will it be out sooner than later?

PopcornTreeCt 12-28-04 08:00 PM

Its not up to Zach whether or not an SE will be made. If Garden State sells enough DVDs the first time then Fox will probably be interested in releasing a Special Edition. Its the bastards at Fox that is the reason why we don't have an SE.

Heartagram 12-28-04 09:41 PM

yeah what Popcorn said, but I will tell you this, if they do do a SE I WILL double dip.

Third Baseman 12-28-04 09:43 PM

No asking from me. I'm picking up the DVD thursday [when I get paid], and I'll double or triple dip if I have to! :p

Josh H 12-28-04 09:58 PM

Probably, but I don't see any reason I'd double dip. I love the movie, but I still rarely watch extras (just for things like Star Wars, LOTR etc.) so with the first release being anamorphic and DD 5.1 and having some featurettes, a commentary and deleted scenes I don't see what they could put on an SE to make me want to double dip.

Cameron 12-28-04 10:46 PM

i don't see it coming within the next year (could happen) But you could get a lot of plays in a year

Jackskeleton 12-28-04 11:13 PM

Chances aren't good it will be double dipped. It's under the searchlight title and those are generally not touched after they get released unless they get some major attention. In this case Napoleon Dynamite will have a better chance of getting double dipped.

Generally the smaller titles aren't touched again and at the starting price of 19.99 sales I doubt it will really warrent a double dipping.

Still one hell of a good movie and I would suggest it to everyone who is a fan of Zach or Portman.

e: fixed cause I wrote are when I ment to write aren't.

asianxcore 12-29-04 12:01 AM

if an SE does come out, I will definately double dip. saw this movie in theaters and automatically thought it would be a movie I would hate. glad I was proved wrong, and it was one of my favorite films of 2004.

wonder if they will package the soundtrack with a future DVD if it ever happens. didn't the soundtrack sell well also?

fumanstan 12-29-04 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Chances are good it will be double dipped. It's under the searchlight title and those are generally not touched after they get released unless they get some major attention. In this case Napoleon Dynamite will have a better chance of getting double dipped.

Generally the smaller titles aren't touched again and at the starting price of 19.99 sales I doubt it will really warrent a double dipping.

Still one hell of a good movie and I would suggest it to everyone who is a fan of Zach or Portman.

Is it just me or did you contradict yourself there :)

Jackskeleton 12-29-04 12:15 AM

That's cause the first ARE was suppose to be an "AREN'T" :blush: my bad.

But of the two, Nap would be double dipped first (but even then I doubt it would) Garden State isn't priced to move compared to Napoleon.

RyoHazuki 12-29-04 12:18 AM

What could go on a Napoleon Dynamite SE? It has a commentary, the original short film, delted scenes, still gallery, and a making of featurette.

Jackskeleton 12-29-04 12:32 AM

The only reason why I bring up Napoleon is because sales figures on that were amazing. One route they could go down is the method Eternal sunshine went through with soundtrack and a bonus disc with a few more squeezed out extras. But I really doubt any of the two will get a double dipping.

bsktballDude1 12-29-04 12:52 AM

I bought Garden State, I usually like getting special editions, but lately I'm just getting tired of it. Because really, how often do I watch extras, once only on most extras.

I could Garden State getting the SE treatment because they could add the Charlie Rose interview with Braff, Portman, and Sarsgaard, Sundance Channel's Anatomy of a Scene, and how about the actual trailer that made so many people want to see the movie in the first place!