DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   TV-on-DVD buyers, do you keep your old VHS copies? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/402545-tv-dvd-buyers-do-you-keep-your-old-vhs-copies.html)

critterdvd 12-28-04 02:56 PM

TV-on-DVD buyers, do you keep your old VHS copies?

I am just wondering, if anyone else is as crazy as I am. Eventhough I buy all my favorite TV shows on DVD, most of the time, I also keep my old VHS copies for the original music, and the TV Spots for the episodes (like the next on commercials). Im especially glad I kept my tapes for shows like Roswell and DAwson's Creek because of all the music replacements (including the nails-on-a-chalkboard new DC theme song). Okay, sorry for rambling a little, but who else keeps there old VHS?

BigDan 12-28-04 03:06 PM

The only shows I have significant VHS copies of are The Simpsons and NewsRadio. The Simpsons I'll have to keep for many years (until the season sets catch up), but I'll ditch the NewsRadio tapes once the DVD set comes out.

For one thing, my NewsRadio VHS tapes are pretty well worn out and recorded off a fuzzy cable broadcast (I've never had very good cable in the Metroplex).

Falc04 12-28-04 03:10 PM

Nope...once I replace the VHS with DVD, the video tape hits the garbage.

LasVegasMichael 12-28-04 03:13 PM

After we moved I never even hooked up the VCR to the HT, but I still do have a few tapes laying around, including all of Sledge Hammer and Hill Street Blues. Couldn't tell you where they are (probably somewhere in the garage), but if I ever come accross them, I would probably toss them. Tapes are dead, and with time, I'm pretty sure all shows will make their way to the "new" medium.

tonyc3742 12-28-04 03:14 PM

The only show I regularly taped was the Simpsons, and I've kept the tapes only because i don't want to throw them away, and it would be illegal to sell them for more than the cost of the tape.
I had them all organized, an Excel sheet with the episodes on each tape...
They're poor quality, because they were in SLP mode, and recorded during hurricane season, so about every 20 minutes a weatherthing crawls on the bottom of the picture.
My VCR is hooked up, to the upstairs tv, just to play a few tapes that aren't on dvd and as a backup.

roger_d 12-28-04 03:25 PM

All went into the garbage.

digitalfreaknyc 12-28-04 03:57 PM

I did with all my Will and Grace episodes. Only to find out the DVD's are cut. I was severely pissed.

Cameron 12-28-04 04:01 PM

what's a vhs

nightmaster 12-29-04 04:19 AM

Nope. When I'm able to replace 'em, they head for the trash. I know I'm not going to pull them out and watch them, so I see no need to have them taking up space that could be used for DVDs :)

Jackskeleton 12-29-04 04:45 AM

trash can for all of them.

REL77 12-29-04 08:04 AM

Whats VHS? I only Tivo my shows (or occasionally Download them if I missed it)

nodeerforamonth 12-29-04 01:38 PM

I keep them. If I want to go to sleep while watching them, I put on the VHS versions. The VCR will shut itself off when the tape runs out. The DVD will keep spinning forever until I turn it off, which I can't do if I fell asleep.

MisterHowie 12-29-04 01:50 PM

I'd sell off those used VHS shows if I were you. There's still *some* demand for them, at least at places that buy used media...

Walter Neff 12-29-04 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by MisterHowie
I'd sell off those used VHS shows if I were you. There's still *some* demand for them, at least at places that buy used media...

I don't think anyone would buy TV shows recorded at home off the television. That's what most people here seem to be referring to -- not to prerecorded TV show tapes bought at a store.

ThatGuamGuy 12-29-04 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Walter Neff
I don't think anyone would buy TV shows recorded at home off the television.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to sell something you've recorded off of a television broadcast.

The Void 12-29-04 02:33 PM

I haven't owned a VCR in about 4 years now. I always hated tapes.

Shap 12-29-04 04:02 PM

Once I got all the Mr. Show seasons on DVD, my copy-of-a-copy-of-a-copy-of-a-copy versions I got on eBay went straight to the trash. Owning them always made me feel dirty, but damnit, it's MR. SHOW!!

critterdvd 12-29-04 06:35 PM

Lol, guess I'm just a freak, but Im still keeping all my old VHS's (althought Im thinking about upgrading them to DVDR)

Eve Brown 12-29-04 11:07 PM

I have my vhs tapes and for shows that have different music (ie most if not all WB shows) am hesiate to get rid of them. For shows that I don't think are cut such as Alias I don't feel the need to keep the tapes when the dvds are prefect.

Sir_Fireboard 12-30-04 02:28 AM

Nope. But I don't throw the tapes out, I just use them to tape other shows (unless it's really trashed).

mzupeman2 12-30-04 05:36 AM

With all the DVD's I have, most of my VHS collection got replaced somewhere along the way. I only have a select handful of VHS tapes... which I keep in a VHS storage drawer on the top shelf of my closet. I'd probably never watch them again, but they're there just in case. With all the TV on DVD that's out, I've gotten rid of any shows I've collected on VHS. The only shows I really had anyways were the first two seasons of Family Guy, The Simpsons (episodes from the first seven seasons), and South Park (the first three seasons). Anything I want to see Simpsons or South Park wise that's not out on DVD, I have on my computer. And I in no way condone screwing over companies with bootleg episodes either... I WILL be purchasing these as they're released. I've got all the dvd season sets from these shows so far, I have no reason not to continue. VHS... has been phased out and good riddance.

reservoirdog 12-30-04 11:09 AM

I still own my VHS of "Touch of Evil"