Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rate a DVD Talk newbie's collection.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-04, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rate a DVD Talk newbie's collection.

Like the thread title says, rate my collection (if you guys think there is an abundance of bad films in there, it's because I like to mock bad movies).

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...&id=the+doctor

DVDS NOT LISTED (because of no created entries):
The Giant Gila Monster (Digiview)
Frozen Alive (Digiview)
The Corpse Vanishes (Digiview)
Phantom Of The Opera (Digiview)
The Devil Bat (Digiview)
The Ape Man (Digiview)
Mr. Wong: Doomed to Die (Digiview)
The Brain That Wouldn't Die (Digiview)
A Bucket of Blood (Digiview)
Carnival of Souls (Digiview)
Indestructible Man (Digiview)
Frosty Returns (Papa John's Promo Disc)
Abbott and Costello Meet The Mummy/ The Munsters: Munster Masquerade (Papa John's Promo Disc)

The discs for DURANGO KIDS, MR. MOM, HONEYMOON IN VEGAS, WEEKEND AT BERNIE'S II, A KID IN ALADDIN'S PALACE, and DROP DEAD FRED are either Pizza Hut or Papa John's promo discs.

Last edited by Doctor Who; 01-01-05 at 01:59 AM.
Old 12-27-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like you really really REALLY like those Bargin Bins. While it may be your taste and you may be justified for buying them (totally understandable that you need some in-house MST3K laughs) the amount of crappity vs quality is amazing.

Though when you hit the quality, you hit it well. So your collection may not be all class, but it works for you and for that I give it a
Old 12-27-04, 04:53 PM

Thanks. And yes, I love them bargain bins. I found out with my portable players virtual surround setting that BATTLEFIELD EARTH and 3000 MILES TO GRACELAND make great sound system demo discs (key moments for both would be the Vegas shootout in GRACELAND and the Harriers-vs.-Battle Planes finale of BATTLEFIELD EARTH).
Old 12-27-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Like the thread title says, rate my collection (if you guys think there is an abundance of bad films in there, it's because I like to mock bad movies).

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...&id=the+doctor

DVDS NOT LISTED (because of no created entries):
The Giant Gila Monster (Digiview)
Frozen Alive (Digiview)
The Corpse Vanishes (Digiview)
Phantom Of The Opera (Digiview)
The Devil Bat (Digiview)
The Ape Man (Digiview)
Mr. Wong: Doomed to Die (Digiview)
The Brain That Wouldn't Die (Digiview)
A Bucket of Blood (Digiview)
Carnival of Souls (Digiview)
Indestructible Man (Digiview)
Beyond Justice (Treasure Box Collection)
Frosty Returns (Papa John's Promo Disc)
Abbott and Costello Meet The Mummy/ The Munsters: Munster Masquerade (Papa John's Promo Disc)

The discs for DURANGO KIDS, MR. MOM, HONEYMOON IN VEGAS, WEEKEND AT BERNIE'S II, A KID IN ALADDIN'S PALACE, and DROP DEAD FRED are either Pizza Hut or Papa John's promo discs.
That's your collection? I'm sorry

My Collection (Press 'Title' To Alphabetize)
Old 12-27-04, 05:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
talk about obligatory waste of thread space.
and that is one craptacular collection, but if it works for you than you go!
Old 12-27-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Well, I'll give ya props for a good percentage of horror movies plus the MST3K stuff.
Old 12-27-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I don't agree w/ your taste in comedies, I think your collection is a million times better than people that by mostly Hollywood blockbusters & mainstream movies.
Old 12-27-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
While I don't agree w/ your taste in comedies, I think your collection is a million times better than people that by mostly Hollywood blockbusters & mainstream movies.
I echo those sentiments... as far as rating your collection, I give it:
Old 12-27-04, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I can only say you don't have enough Doctor Who titles in your collection.

Have to keep up with your namesake, you know.

Other than that:

Andrew
Old 12-27-04, 08:27 PM
Banned

You've got both "Bill & Ted" movies??? Whoah...

Well, I can say that I only have 9 of those titles. 3 of them being the Rambo Trilogy SE. The others are other Stallone and Schwarzeneggar films.

Here's a question...

Why is it that it seems like for those who like Horror, also have a fair share amount of comedy in their collections. Where's the love for sci-fi and action/adventure?

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 12-27-04 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-27-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
DVD collections are totally subjective. It's no worse or better than anyone else's collection, because it's what you like and want to watch.
Old 12-27-04, 08:50 PM

Eh, why not. Check out my collection in my signiture. Also keep in mind, I only started using DVDprofiler 2 weeks ago and haven't entered all my stuff.

So whatdaya think?
Old 12-27-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I agree with Jason. DVD collections are filled with stuff you want to watch and stuff you enjoy. Rating it is silly.
Old 12-27-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate these fucking threads.
Old 12-27-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
So do I tarantino. So do I. but you sometimes just have to comform or just not post.

besides that, this is no worse then the "what are you buying this week" threads since speaking from experience, I couldn't give a shit what anyone else is buying and I never ever read anyone else's post in those threads.

Much like this one, it's waving of e-penis' and padding a post count trying to reach that god status.
Old 12-27-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
That is the worst collection i've ever seen. I rate it a negative 45.
Old 12-27-04, 09:47 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
You bought the Noel Gross Highly Recommended collection
Old 12-27-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
That is the worst collection i've ever seen. I rate it a negative 45.
Old 12-27-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're going for public domain stuff, you need to do a little research before spending your money - for example, you have four Alpha DVDs of the Dick Tracy movies, whereas Roan (for less money than the Alpha titles) put out a 2-disc set using cleaned-up prints and added commentary tracks, vintage audio of Dick Tracy radio broadcasts, etc.

Except for one set of silent films, some lesser known public domain titles that you seem to have selected based on price, and some fun 50's sci-fi trash, it appears that you're mostly ignoring everything important and exciting in movies prior to 1985. You're missing a lot of great movies!

Last edited by marty888; 12-27-04 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 02:34 AM

I'm sorry. If I knew some people hate these threads I wouldn't have posted. Thanks for all the positive feedback, though.

I've got a couple of things to say. For the guy who gave me a -45, I would get a lot more Criterion stuff, but they are just too expensive (I actually will get stuff like their editions of THE BLOB, TIME BANDITS, and BRAZIL if I can find them used at a low price). I actually do like classic movies, but for the amount of good ones i've seen that lived up to the hype (ROCKY, CASABLANCA, CITIZEN KANE) there are the ones that haven't (TITANIC and GONE WITH THE WIND, i'm looking in your direction). Hell, I would have gotten THE GODFATHER had I not grown sick of it when TNN (now Spike TV) showed it in 24 hour marathons and my uncle watched every minute of it. Besides, I like to give the underdog films (ones that were trashed by critics) a chance. I enjoyed TOYS and THE METEOR MAN far more than a critically lavished darling like GONE WITH THE WIND, for example.

For the guy who complained about my four Dick Tracy DVDs, I got them in a collection and as a gift. What was I supposed to do? That and the Roan collection is apparently quite rare.

For the guy who asked why many people who have a lot of horror titles have an equal amount of comedy, I just don't know. Maybe it's one of those questions that's just as hard to answer as the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything (Oh, wait. It's 42? OK, never mind on that one).

For the guy who said I didn't have enough Doctor Who titles in my collection, I do have more VHS tapes of the show than DVDs (I suffered a minor burnout from the show and took a break for a while. That's why there aren't many Doctor Who DVDs in my collection).

And for the guy who said I'm missing out on a lot of great films, I have seen a lot of them. I just don't have them in my collection because of either price (Yes, I'm cheap. I'll admit it), or rarity, or just that some of them aren't out yet. Plus, my dad, uncle, or grandmother has some good titles (like my uncle owns MASTER AND COMMANDER, dad owns SPIDER MAN 1 and 2 [in foolscreen, before I converted him to the Church of Widescreen] and my grandmother owns classics like CASABLANCA or un-classics like [I shit you not] the complete works of Steven Seagal [yes, she's a Seagal fan]) that I can borrow if I wish.

I hope I didn't come off sounding like a jackass, and thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Doctor Who; 12-29-04 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-28-04, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Much like this one, it's waving of e-penis' and padding a post count trying to reach that god status.
As said in another forum.. e-Penis++
Old 12-28-04, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So the size of a members' unit is inversely proportional to the size of his DVD collection?
Old 12-28-04, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
So the size of a members' unit is inversely proportional to the size of his DVD collection?
NO!
the greater the collection the more massive the e-Penis!@^*$!)% OMG K00L
Old 12-28-04, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, about how "strong" is this collection?
Old 12-28-04, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by drjay
NO!
the greater the collection the more massive the e-Penis!@^*$!)% OMG K00L
I don't follow...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.