DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Is there a DVD valuing site? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/402164-there-dvd-valuing-site.html)

OldBoy 12-25-04 09:48 AM

Is there a DVD valuing site?

One that would show you how much a DVD (any DVD) is worth? What is good to pay for an OOP DVD, good average starting price to sell, etc...? Also, something honest and reliable (as I don't always find eBay reliable on prices).

Something very easy where you would just have to input the DVD title?

Thanks and Merry X-Mas!

Janitor 12-25-04 10:06 AM

As near as I can tell a large part of the problem in coming up with a database like you want, is that the prices on "collector" DVDs are completely artificial. It is entirely based on what people are willing to pay.

I think that Ebay may be the largest database showing just how much people are willing to spend.

eau 12-25-04 10:07 AM

^

What Janitor said.

Janitor 12-25-04 10:14 AM

I suppose you could also check out used disk prices on Amazon. The private party sales on there usually reflect collector priceing for OOP disks, etc.

chemosh6969 12-25-04 10:25 AM

I search the completed prices on ebay and list it by date to get an idea of what people are paying

drjay 12-25-04 10:27 AM

What chemosh said. I definitely find eBay to give you the latest prcining based on trends, etc.

Cameron 12-27-04 12:27 PM

Would be nice if their was something for OOP disc...

critterdvd 12-27-04 04:27 PM

half puts in some good input on prices as well.

Geofferson 12-27-04 04:29 PM

It'd be nice if there was a Beckett for DVDs...

Tarantino 12-27-04 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
It'd be nice if there was a Beckett for DVDs...

Start one.

Yahoo Sirius 12-28-04 02:24 AM

I can almost forsee the day when there will be a grading service for DVDs to separate the genuine articles from inferior import versions and counterfeits.

ThatGuamGuy 12-28-04 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
One that would show you how much a DVD (any DVD) is worth? What is good to pay for an OOP DVD, good average starting price to sell, etc...? Also, something honest and reliable (as I don't always find eBay reliable on prices).

If you're asking what the price is on an OOP DVD, the answer is "whatever the market allows", which is a fancy way of saying E-bay *is* the most reliable place.

You can try Amazon, but it's almost guaranteed to be more. Don't do buy-it-now on E-bay, those are inflated, but you just have to watch the auctions on DVDs you want and see what they're selling for. That's how much these OOP discs cost, unless you get really lucky and find one in a used store.

Also, what E-bay is less reliable on is bootleg/genuine. Especially if you're looking to buy the disc at the cheapest price. Check other threads for tips on how to avoid this, because you'll try to get something cheap and wind up with something you don't want.