DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Ghost In The Shell 2 - bad subtitles makes dvd unwatchable (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/402085-ghost-shell-2-bad-subtitles-makes-dvd-unwatchable.html)

Richard Malloy 08-10-05 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
http://www.gofishpictures.com/GITS2/main.html

Go to section "The DVD" and click on "Questions About Your DVD".

Good luck. I tried 3 times and they never sent me a mailer envelope.

I've tried twice over the past 4 months, and no envelope. This after waiting 8 months to buy what I'd hoped was corrected stock (but, of course, ending up with the close-captioned version).

I guess I'll fill it out again, but now I'm worried about sending my disc in!

This reminds me of the number of times I've had to return a Criterion disc for certain first pressing defects (the Hulot titles with incorrect 16x9 flags, "Last Temptation" for subs I think, and at least one or two others). In each case, I received a personal reply from Jon Mulvaney and the replacement disc within a week. No runaround, no waiting, no problem. The very opposite of my experience here.

UWSarge 08-10-05 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I've tried twice over the past 4 months, and no envelope. This after waiting 8 months to buy what I'd hoped was corrected stock (but, of course, ending up with the close-captioned version).

I guess I'll fill it out again, but now I'm worried about sending my disc in!

This reminds me of the number of times I've had to return a Criterion disc for certain first pressing defects (the Hulot titles with incorrect 16x9 flags, "Last Temptation" for subs I think, and at least one or two others). In each case, I received a personal reply from Jon Mulvaney and the replacement disc within a week. No runaround, no waiting, no problem. The very opposite of my experience here.

There is a number you can call to get ahold of the people handling the returns, that was how I was able to my issue resolved. If you want, I can try to dig up the post-it note I had with the number on it.

Chris Tribbey 08-10-05 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by UWSarge
There is a number you can call to get ahold of the people handling the returns

It didn't do me any good the first time, but if people are having success (finally!) then post it please.

UWSarge 08-10-05 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Tribbey
It didn't do me any good the first time, but if people are having success (finally!) then post it please.

Okay, I dug through my notes and found it: 972-293-5903

Give that a shot.

Chris Tribbey 08-20-05 05:42 PM

Hey, it only took six months .... maybe I can finally change my signature?

Thank you for returning your <<Ghost in the Shell: 2>> DVD to us. You can expect
to receive your replacement disc within two to three weeks. We hope that you
will enjoy this and future DreamWorks releases.
Sincerely,

DreamWorks Home Entertainment

slop101 02-07-06 03:44 PM

Just wanted to update everyone that the Ghost in the Shell 2 dvd that's coming out at the end of the month in region 2 will have a brand new English track from the cast of Stand Alone Complex. No more having to read (poorly done) subtitles and miss the gorgeous visuals.

They also get a much better cover:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

visitor Q 02-07-06 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Just wanted to update everyone that the Ghost in the Shell 2 dvd that's coming out at the end of the month in region 2 will have a brand new English track from the cast of Stand Alone Complex. No more having to read (poorly done) subtitles and miss the gorgeous visuals.

They also get a much better cover:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Great .. another double dip .. actually triple if I dive into this one. Though I already have the Dreamworks R1 reissue (corrected subbing) and R2 Japanese First Pressing limited tin (I love the movie, what can I say).

The only thing that will hold me back from purchasing this would be the DTS track. Is it subbed? The Japanese version that I own has a DTS track but it's unsubbed :(.

slop101 02-07-06 07:24 PM

I'm not sure if this UK R2 has DTS, but it is a 2-disc set, so it'll at least have some English-friendly extras. And I'm sure it'll have the original track with subs.

Richard Malloy 02-08-06 09:44 AM

Just to put a capper on this, I did finally get my replacement from Dreamworks (long ago at this point), and with the non-CC subs it's a fantastic presentation of the film.

Some of you may remember questions regarding the sub translations, whether they truly expressed the full scope and complexity of the dialog. Having seen it a few more times - and not speaking Japanese - I don't perceive any "dumbing down" of the discourse. Of course, not speaking Japanese I don't know for sure, but as certain words are recognizable (references to Milton, etc.) one can at least sorta follow. And though I've put my mind at rest regarding this aspect, it would be interesting to compare the subs from the R2 release. Or, I suppose, the dub-track, though those are typically altered in all manner of annoying ways. At any rate, translation is especially important in a film that traffics in such complex ideas, so I think it's at least worth looking at.

seisei 09-04-06 04:19 AM

New disc : Blu-ray version

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/.../ironpcchef-22
http://www.movies.co.jp/blu-ray/

On sale : 20061206
Sub : 2004ver / jp / en / fr / kr / tw
Extra contents :
1. Audio commentary ( Mamoru Oshii X Toshihiko Nishikubo ) 
2. Music video `` Innocence-no_Joukei '' 
3. Making movie
4. Mamoru Oshii X Mitsuhisa Ishikawa `` Did Innocence over the nationality ? '' 
5. Trailers ( for Japan and other countries )

manicsounds 09-04-06 04:41 AM

All the Blu Ray Japanese discs will carry a retail price of 4700Yen,
but Innocence will be 7800Yen. What is up with that......

Gamelore 09-04-06 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by manicsounds
All the Blu Ray Japanese discs will carry a retail price of 4700Yen,
but Innocence will be 7800Yen. What is up with that......

It's clearly 66% better than regular movies.

seisei 09-28-06 11:45 PM

Authoring of Blu-ray version

Compressionist Murai the expert adjusts the parameter .

The head of Sony Pictures Entertainment as the novice or buisiness person
thinks 18M bps MPEG2 for Blu-ray is enough .
But Mr. Murai belongs to Sony PCL .
Innocence will be encoded at 37.5M bps .

Is is too bad , MPEG4 AVC/H.264 is not supported for this release .
But Mr. Murai and one of the creator of Innocence meant
`` I am satisfied for this quality of The MPEG2 for the art of Innocence '' .

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...83g&lr=lang_ja

Living Dead 11-15-06 02:45 PM

I have a question about this movie... has anyone bought it recently from a store and received the proper version, or is the only way to get one with the correct english track to buy the messed up one and then send for a replacement? I'm talking the standard version, not HD.

I want to get Ghost in the Shell SAC and would love to have this as well, but have never bought it due to this subbing problem.

lordzeppelin 11-15-06 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Living Dead
I have a question about this movie... has anyone bought it recently from a store and received the proper version, or is the only way to get one with the correct english track to buy the messed up one and then send for a replacement? I'm talking the standard version, not HD.

I want to get Ghost in the Shell SAC and would love to have this as well, but have never bought it due to this subbing problem.

I would think at this point that if you buy from any major retailer, especially online, that they'd have gone through a restock on this once or twice, and would have the corrected version. I know that Best Buy, at one point, pulled all of theirs and put out new ones (from what a Media Dept. Manager told me). Hold off no longer!

ReggieM 01-07-07 02:02 AM

Sorry for bringing back an ancient thread, but I didn't see any other related ones recently...

Does anyone know if there's a way to still to exchange one of the closed captioned DVDs for a corrected one? I recently bought one used and unfortunately it was the old version.

Everything I've found on the net points to the old webpage for the exchange program which is no longer there...

Thanks!

Private Pyle 01-07-07 04:21 AM

what a ******.

visitor Q 01-07-07 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Private Pyle
what a ******.

That was useful, thank you!!

---

Reggie .. you might want to try the aftermarket at this point. It appears that the corrected version is no longer being honored by Dreamworks, but hey, I'd be interested to find out myself.

There are quite a few copies of the film out there (on the cheap); amazon marketplace, half.com, ebay, wherever. You might want to make an attempt at contacting some of the sellers before considering a buy.

The only two stipulations that I would suggest going that route would be 1) make sure they respond specifically about the gofish exchange program and 2) that they themselves will accept a refund if it turns out not to be the one with the corrected subtitling.

Good luck ..