DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Ghost In The Shell 2 - bad subtitles makes dvd unwatchable (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/402085-ghost-shell-2-bad-subtitles-makes-dvd-unwatchable.html)

Heliosphann 04-19-05 01:52 PM

Made 2 seperate requests (right when it started and a month after) and STILL no mailer...

I'm getting mighty pissed.

logboy 04-19-05 02:07 PM

a little off-topic but i still havent had INNOCENCE back...

Chris Tribbey 04-19-05 05:46 PM

You're not the only one. I requested another mailer and sent my old confirmation slip back .... I got nowhere on the phone.

Josh Z 05-14-05 10:57 AM

I've requested the mailer envelope 3 times now and received nothing. Now I've just lost faith in this company.

Has anyone yet seen actual "V4" discs in the "V4" packaging (as opposed to the V2 discs in V4 packaging) at retail yet?

SFranke 05-14-05 10:59 AM

I ordered this from Columbia House and received the properly subtitled version. There is no V4 on the spine, and it did not come with a security sticker.

I did order the envelope in case I needed it, and I still have it. I could send it to you if you like.

logboy 05-14-05 12:27 PM

i still havent had my replacement through. it must be several months since it went off... shameful isnt it?

Mike Lowrey 05-14-05 03:16 PM

Sounds like trying to get a replacement disc for a DS9 set. I called Paramount's hotline for DS9 disc replacements twice and never got a replacement.

seisei 05-31-05 10:11 AM

New DVD : International version

GHOST IN THE SHELL 2 INNOCENCE INTERNATIONAL VER.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/.../ironpcchef-22

GHOST IN THE SHELL 2 INNOCENCE INTERNATIONAL VER. Type MOTOKO
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/.../ironpcchef-22

Sep. 7
Sub : jp , en , fr , tw , kr
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...0530/buena.htm

seisei 05-31-05 10:18 AM

Commentary on Innocence

Commentary on GIS level-2
http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/data/home/se349054.html

Audio-commentary on GIS level-2
http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/data/home/se349049.html

Kris Deering 05-31-05 12:05 PM

I received my mailer envelope promptly and my replacement within a month after that. The new version has no issues at all. It is a shame that so many people are still having problems with this.

Richard Malloy 05-31-05 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kris Deering
The new version has no issues at all. It is a shame that so many people are still having problems with this.

I wonder if it's safe to assume that only the "new version" is now available (save those few units of the original pressing still on store shelves)?

I'd hoped the "V4" designation would end any question, but I guess some of the "fixed" versions don't bear this sign (and, more importantly, some of the unfixed ones do?). I'd like to buy this disc, but I'd rather not also purchase a big exchange headache and it seems that the whole exchange program is being ignored at this point (no new mailers being sent out, for example).

Maxflier 05-31-05 02:09 PM

I've yet to see the V4 version in any store,and i make it a point to check anytime i am browsing dvd's.

Daniel L 05-31-05 02:45 PM

I've yet to see the V4 version in any store,and i make it a point to check anytime i am browsing dvd's.
I was starting to wonder. I've made it a point to check every disc I've found, regardless of where I'm shopping. I haven't encountered a single V4 disc, and I know that I'm not looking at the same stock that I was three months ago. I wish there was another way to tell as I would really like to buy this movie while avoiding the hassle of sending for the replacement. Anyone know?

Chris Tribbey 05-31-05 05:49 PM

I'm boycotting Dreamworks. I won't see their movies in the theater and won't buy any of their DVDs. I'm glad other people received their replacement disc, but I made phone calls, emailed, and sent for the replacement twice, and no response or DVD. The only way I can protest is by ignoring any future product the bastards put out.

Up yours Dreamworks.

UWSarge 05-31-05 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Tribbey
I'm boycotting Dreamworks. I won't see their movies in the theater and won't buy any of their DVDs. I'm glad other people received their replacement disc, but I made phone calls, emailed, and sent for the replacement twice, and no response or DVD. The only way I can protest is by ignoring any future product the bastards put out.

Up yours Dreamworks.

I waited 4 weeks after they sent an email saying I'd receive it 2-3 weeks. I still haven't received it. I emailed them last week and they said I should be getting it in 2-3 weeks. Dunno if they even read my email because it seemed like a form letter response.... We'll see.

canaryfarmer 05-31-05 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Tribbey

Up yours Dreamworks.

Luckily, I got my replacement pretty quickly after sending mine back, so I'm not that terribly pissed at Dreamworks for all this. However, I really hope that they NEVER EVER license an anime property again. Leave it to companies that know how to do it right. Hell, even Sony knocked two right out of the park with Metropolis and Cowboy Bebop the Movie. I hope to never see Dreamworks behind another US anime release.

Daniel L 05-31-05 10:23 PM

What do you hope to accomplish from this? Certainly a personal statement of pride isn't worth missing a great movie. You do realize that the people responsible for taking calls, answering e-mails and shipping the replacement discs aren't actually behind the films, right?

Chris Tribbey 05-31-05 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel L
What do you hope to accomplish from this? Certainly a personal statement of pride isn't worth missing a great movie. You do realize that the people responsible for taking calls, answering e-mails and shipping the replacement discs aren't actually behind the films, right?

Well, I am missing a great movie ... Innocence. Evidenced by the empty %$&*ing case on my shelf.

How would you suggest I lodge my protest? I've gotten nothing but the runaround from the company. They not only screwed up a great anime title, but the replacement program has been run by incompetents.

It's not pride, it's $ ... mine goes to filling out the NOIR collection, instead of to Dreamworks. I'll Netflix anything I want to see from them.

Daniel L 06-01-05 12:17 AM

Not seeing their future pictures will hurt no one but yourself. Again, the situation with the replacement DVD most likely revolves around a few boneheads in the mail room, not filmmakers. Would you honestly pass on Ghost in the Shell 3 if it came into their hands? You don't see the movie, they don't notice. It just doesn't make sense to me. The DVD thing sucks, I'll agree, but the only logical way to resolve it is a) bite the bullet and track down a cheap or used copy of the corrected version or b) continue to write and call them until you are heard. That is the way to get results, not boycotting them.

EDIT:

You may also want to consider making a claim to the Better Business Bureau and clearly letting Dreamworks / whomever know that you plan to do so. It might not help you get your DVD any sooner, but, in theory, it could make them think twice about fucking around with things like this.

Chris Tribbey 06-01-05 02:03 AM

I'll Netflix a good movie, no matter the source (I'll Netflix an awful one on occasion too; it's a flat rate after all). But I withhold my hard-earned cash from Dreamworks' product until I see my damn Innocence copy. This means no movie tickets for Madagascar and no future DVD purchase of Wallace & Gromit.

Boycott only means DW, directly, won't see my cash. I'll probably watch Taken again, and the DVDs of Saving Private Ryan and Gladiator are favorites.

It's just that DW/Go Fish heaped nothing but pain on the American anime fan with Innocence, and with this entire replacement mess, I rightly feel abused. This wasn't a reviewer copy I sent in, it was MY copy. Instead of hurling threats or registering complaints, I'll just withhold the almighty dollar until the situation is rectified.

canaryfarmer: Amen on Cowboy and Metropolis, but Sony really, really should have included the Japanese track for Astro Boy 2003. BTW, I can't wait to see Manga's specs for the 1980's version.

Richard Malloy 06-01-05 09:13 AM

Is there no superior Japanese, Korean, etc., version with English subs?

canaryfarmer 06-01-05 09:16 AM

Not at the moment.

JustInsane 06-03-05 09:58 AM

I'm sorry to hear that so many people are having so much trouble with getting replacements. Mine took about a month all up, from the time of ordering the mailer off their website to getting the replacement yesterday. I was surprised that they didn't just send the new disc back, but sent a new case and cover as well.

eau 06-03-05 12:56 PM

JustInSane, when did you get your replacement? I just went to the GITS2 website and the link to request for replacement is still active. It looks like they are not actively processing the requests now.

http://recp.rm05.net/servlet/SignUpForm?f=2318

JustInsane 06-03-05 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by eau
JustInSane, when did you get your replacement? I just went to the GITS2 website and the link to request for replacement is still active. It looks like they are not actively processing the requests now.

http://recp.rm05.net/servlet/SignUpForm?f=2318

I got my replacement yesterday (Thursday). The link you have there is the one I filled out to get the mailer and that arrived a few days after I filled it out.