Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Simpsons S5 and Fox's disc replacement policy

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-23-04, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, has anyone else had tons of trouble with the discs from season 5 sticking to the hubs? Well, if you deduced correctly, I had numerous problems. It seems disc 2 wouldn't come out, even after busting three "prongs" on the hub, and my efforts to free it resulted in a broken disc.

Does anyone know if Fox will replace it? Technically it was my fault for busting it, but I've never had any other problems with any of my 700 DVDs extracting the discs from their hubs. If they do replace it, anyone have an address or an e-mail address for me?

If anyone else has had problems, I'd like to know too, just to make sure it wasn't my set only.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-23-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

take it back to the store
Old 12-23-04, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Return it to whence you bought it and claim it was like that when you opened it!

Yes Fox will replace individual discs...try a websearch for "fox replacement DVD" or something like that. I know Fox US offers such a service AND they sell single discs for people with sets who have managed to, say, lose a disc.

They'll want you to send in the whole set, plus your proof of purchase.

Bad disc holders ehh? Sounds like a repeat of the nightmares we had here in R2 with the Star TRek and DS9 "digistak" holders, which cracked the discs in the hub area.

These holders are getting tighter and tighter - I think to stop discs breaking loose and getting scratched in transit - but they're bad news.

Fox UK do not offer any such service, and their Customer Services Department won't even speak to anyone on the phone; you just get a "take it back to the shop" brick wall. And if the disc stops working after a year? Or if you have three lots of a set and every one has damaged discs due to back packaging??

Strabge though; up til now, the r2 Simpsons sets had pretty good design of disc holders.
Old 12-23-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i didnt have a problem with mine. they were tight. but not that tight
Old 12-23-04, 04:16 PM

Looks like I'll be heading back to Circuit City in my near future...

I'm leaving for Mexico on the 26th, so I guess I'll have to put it off until after I get back. Hopefully the lines will have died down by then. Thanks a ton guys, I just hope that Circuit City buys the story.

I really can't believe I busted the disc... it's a big break too.
Old 12-23-04, 04:33 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate it when disks are in so tight, Band of Brothers and the last season of Alias come to mind as well.
Old 12-23-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Are there commentaries on all the episodes, that's what it says on the back but I remember them saying there would be no commentaries. Just curious
Old 12-23-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
commentaries seem to be on all of them I've seen. I'm loving the ones with Conan.
Old 12-23-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't break any of my Season 5 DVDs but I've never had more trouble getting DVDs out of a case before in my life. It took me forever to ease all 4 out of that case. I'm afraid to put them back in.
Old 12-23-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree with MasterofDVD. I really like the simpson cases, but I'm scared that I'll end up with a few broken discs if I put them back in. But a tip to those of you have trouble getting your discs out. I was so frustrated I threw my set down hard on the ground and 2 discs popped out really good (only a very minor scratch on one of them).
Old 12-27-04, 10:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i've been watching various episodes across all 4 disks and it seems i don't get english subtitles on some of em. this happing to anyone else?
Old 12-28-04, 01:00 AM

I've had problems with disc 1 working on my player. If you go to animatics on disc 1 and around the 5 minute mark where the bowling scene is, the audio skips badly. I've already taken it back to Best Buy once and am having the same problem. I have a Tosiba SD-3900 and I'll be going back to Best Buy becuase on it's still doing it. The disc is in perfect shape too.
Old 12-28-04, 11:50 AM
Dai

I've had the exact opposite problem!!

My disc 1 & 3 won't stay in on the spindles!!! I didn't have any problems with getting any of the discs out, unlike the previous sets, but now they fall off too easily!!!!
Old 12-28-04, 04:51 PM
Cool New Member

My issue is that disc 1, 3 and 4 don't have any subtitles. It just seems kind of weird that only disc 2's subtitles work. Plus the one disc that works has four tracks English Spanish Spanish and French (yes two spanish ones and the second spanish and the french track don't work, not that I care about those) But it would be nice to have a working english track on each disc (works nice when your listening to the commentaries.)
Old 12-28-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
The episodes that have the deleted scenes have the subtitle button locked, so you have to use the language menu to turn them on. The extra Spanish and French subs translate onscreen text while you're watching the dubbed versions- example the opening segment subtitles will come up translating the magazine covers in the store (Mensual Mama or something like that), but won't translate the dialogue since you're already listening to the dubbed track.
Old 12-28-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

about to dive in...hope i don't have any of these problems....