DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Lord of The Rings EE Trilogy case kind of deceiving? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/401560-lord-rings-ee-trilogy-case-kind-deceiving.html)

WOLFie 12-20-04 06:30 PM

Lord of The Rings EE Trilogy case kind of deceiving?

Yeah I know its just a box but from the pictures did anyone think it would be a little but more classy. In the pictures it looks alot better and I even thought it was cloth or may resemble burnt old paper but it just a hard box that looks almost nothing like the pics. Feel kind of stupid as I sold the DVD's to get the set because I thought the case look very nice but in person its very bland. Oh well just a minor gripe in a otherwise great purchase.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpghttp://img86.exs.cx/img86/4144/dsc007591gu.jpg

eau 12-20-04 06:51 PM

Did you know you could have ordered the empty box for only $3 S&H?

TomOpus 12-20-04 07:21 PM

The box is similar to the previous EE boxes so it's pretty much falls in line with the set.

Sure beats a thin flimsly cardboard POS that most studios would put out.

Bummer that you sold the DVDs, as eau pointed out, you could've ordered just the box for $3 s/h

Cameron 12-20-04 07:24 PM

looks like a three dollar case to me

WOLFie 12-20-04 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by eau
Did you know you could have ordered the empty box for only $3 S&H?

Not til after and it does look like it's about worth $3 though. Damn it but oh well. Don't go by pictures I guess.

steebo777 12-20-04 09:20 PM

I still don't understand the real world purpose of this box, but for $3, I guess anyone will buy anything nowadays.

TomOpus 12-20-04 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by steebo777
I still don't understand the real world purpose of this box, but for $3, I guess anyone will buy anything nowadays.

Yes we will -smile-

Duder 12-21-04 01:47 AM

I never expected it to be anything other than the same cardboard each of the EEs was packaged in.

Jackskeleton 12-21-04 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
looks like a three dollar case to me

this has to be quoted because you want real cloth or burned paper for 3 dollars? 3 DOLLARS!

IanH 12-21-04 02:19 AM

I think anyone who owns the books as a 3 or 4 volume boxed set understands why this DVD box is so darn important.

I've got the single hardcover LOTR in red leatherette among others but I will always remember the book as the LOTR paperback boxed set I've owned since 1979 (Gold Box).

eau 12-21-04 03:12 AM

If you have a decent anime collection, you know why a box is so important.

CoolKidd 12-21-04 08:47 AM

The Box is important... It will be very important if this box is out of print...

ceeece 12-21-04 09:06 AM

I got the Jurassic Park box when Universal offered it and I am glad I did (there was an extra disc involved, too). Makes the set more "complete" if you will. However, I expect this to be shipped flat and you "pop" it up into box form. That's how the JP box came. It wasn't in the most pristine shape but I got over it.

BeckysBoy 12-21-04 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by ceeece
I got the Jurassic Park box when Universal offered it and I am glad I did (there was an extra disc involved, too). Makes the set more "complete" if you will. However, I expect this to be shipped flat and you "pop" it up into box form. That's how the JP box came. It wasn't in the most pristine shape but I got over it.

Read earlier posts and you'll see that the construction of the box virtually assures that it will be shipped intact. Someone actually compared it to the JP box and said it was much sturdier (thicker cardboard sealed at the edges with glued paper, as opposed to thin card that folds together).

fnordboy 12-21-04 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by eau
If you have a decent anime collection, you know why a box is so important.

:lol::up: Exactly what I was going to post.

Big Worms 12-21-04 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by steebo777

None really, but I sure would hate kicking my self later on for not spending the $3 in getting this.

MrE 12-21-04 01:05 PM

If someone really needs the box explained - its purpose is to keep all three EE sets together. They tend to migrate otherwise. It also offers extra protection to the sets. And it looks neat.

Josh H 12-21-04 01:20 PM

Yep, protection, and keeps them together if you want to take them somewhere or loan them all to a friend. Worth $3 for that IMO.

reverie 12-21-04 01:23 PM

Looking at it in the store though, it seems like it doesn't work with the outer sleeves already on the EEs. Am I wrong in this quick observation, or will there be three extra sturdy box sleeves sitting around?

Josh H 12-21-04 01:35 PM

It works with the outer sleeves for each EE, to the best of my knowledge.

Big Worms 12-21-04 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
It works with the outer sleeves for each EE, to the best of my knowledge.

Yes it does work like this.

reverie 12-21-04 02:34 PM

Good good.

Ignore me as usual. ;)

masetodd 12-21-04 03:24 PM

I found that the boxes make a nice addition - and this one is worth 3 lousy bucks - hell I collect that in change by the end of the week.

Anyway, I turn the boxes from boxsets "spine-out" which adds a different look to my collection. This way you can view the artwork on the boxsets. You have to remove the whole box to get a movie out, but I've found you usually have to do this anyway to shake out a case.

zenith 12-21-04 03:40 PM

no, the case was not deceiving...

Fok 12-21-04 03:53 PM

I'm not going to bother with the case, the individual cases themselves look pretty good as they are.