DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Disney Treasures (Wave 4) packaging qaulity becoming cheaper and cheaper? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/401271-disney-treasures-wave-4-packaging-qaulity-becoming-cheaper-cheaper.html)

rdodolak 12-18-04 05:07 PM

Disney Treasures (Wave 4) packaging quality becoming cheaper and cheaper?

I just received my Wave 4 titles and I noticed that the Walt Disney Treasures are being made cheaper and cheaper in terms of the quality of the packaging. With the introduction of Wave 3 the tins were no longer being stamped with the unique serial numbers. With Wave 4 the cardboard band that accompanied Waves 1-3 is gone. Also, the previous Waves had the dvd info screen printed on the back of the tins, but my Wave 4 titles have a cardboard piece of paper glued to the back of the tin with this info on it. Of course the price of the Disney Treasures hasn't dropped! I wish they would have kept all of the tins consistent ... oh well.

Did anyone else receive Wave 4 titles with these changes?

DVD Josh 12-18-04 05:57 PM

There's a long discussion of it in the previous thread.

rdodolak 12-18-04 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
There's a long discussion of it in the previous thread.

Sorry if this was already posted, but I did a search and nothing relevant to this showed up. I just did another more advanced search and didn't see anything. Do you have a link to this thread?

DVD Josh 12-18-04 06:13 PM

It's gone (I guess). Anyway there was a thread collecting the reviews from around of the web of the wave 4 sets. It must be deleted. In any event, everything you mentioned was said in the thread as well, so you aren't alone.

For a more in-depth discussion, check out the ultimatedisney.com forums.

Cameron 12-19-04 01:04 AM

i'm with you, but better a cardborad backer than no tins at all.

JoeyOhhhh 12-19-04 01:28 AM

I think there is something quirky with the search function with this site since the move to the new verison of the forum.

No real explaination has been given by Disney (ultimately it must be for cutting costs).

There was a idea floating around when wave 3 streeted that the reason for no numbers on the tin was in case they wanted to increase/decrease productions in mid swing, or maybe to offer replacement tins

Cameron 12-19-04 01:45 AM

i think thats why costco had that box set...so many tins got destroyed it was costing to much...just easier to replace.

NitroJMS 12-19-04 01:53 AM

I picked up my first Disney tin out of curiousity (Mickey Mouse in Living Color 2) at Wal-Mart the other day. Out of the 10 or so copies they had in, they only had 1 that wasn't dented at all. Is the tin really that fragile that all of them dent so easily?

Cameron 12-19-04 02:11 AM

between shipping, and wal mart restocking and reorganinzing all the time thats where the dents come in...they are not for clumsy children to handle on tile floors

Rogue588 12-19-04 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
No real explaination has been given by Disney (ultimately it must be for cutting costs).

Umm...Eisner is saving up funds for his golden parachute?

duh. :p

Class316 12-19-04 07:58 AM

While I agree the packaging sucks, we should be thankful the content was not censored in any way.

TomOpus 12-19-04 08:55 AM

I mainly miss the cardboard band. It was the one way to differentiate the sets from one another.

Cameron 12-19-04 11:18 AM

has anyone made bands on the net ready to print

JoeyOhhhh 12-19-04 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
has anyone made bands on the net ready to print

I did, check over at ultimatedisney.com/forums for a thread on it, there should be a link.

I might re-do them in the upcoming weeks, because they dont exactly match up (but are pretty close).