Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Viet Nam TV Show in the 70's or 80's on DVD???

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-04, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I am having a Brain Malfunction here trying to think of the name of the Viet Nam TV Show that was on in the 70's or 80's. It had some awesome sound tracks on it too. I saw a few months back where it was on DVD now, but for some reason I am drawing a blank on what it was called. I would like to get it on DVD but of course I can't look it up. Thanks to who ever responds.
Old 12-18-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Are you thinking of "China Beach"?
Old 12-18-04, 09:20 AM

Not China Beach. I keep thinking of "Platoon", but that's a movie.
Old 12-18-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like it could be Tour of Duty from the late 80's.
Old 12-18-04, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour Of Duty which ran for three seasons from 1987-1990 I believe. I purchased the first season on dvd in June. Season two will be released later this month. China Beach is not on dvd yet as far as I know.

Terrence Knox was the platoon seargeant.
Old 12-18-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And if it is indeed Tour of Duty you were looking for, a note of caution. I recall reading that - like the current issue with Quantum Leap - some portion of the original music - due to rights issues - has been replaced. So if you are looking for the "awesome sound tracks", they may not be there.
Old 12-18-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flixtime
And if it is indeed Tour of Duty you were looking for, a note of caution. I recall reading that - like the current issue with Quantum Leap - some portion of the original music - due to rights issues - has been replaced. So if you are looking for the "awesome sound tracks", they may not be there.

It was indeed replaced......even the opening song is gone if I remember correctly when I viewed this set earlier this year. For me, it still does not take away from the storyline which is great in my opinion. Great cast also!!!
Old 12-18-04, 12:18 PM

Tour of Duty
Old 12-18-04, 01:00 PM
Banned

Yeah, Tour of Duty. I've got Season 1 and am eagerly awaiting for Season 2 coming out on the 28th. With regards to the music, it has been changed. Gone are the vintage '60s songs due to obvious licensing rights. However, the syndicated run of this show also had them removed. CBS ran this series first, and then I think either TBS or TNT ran it after that. The re-runned version lacked the vintage music. Instead they were replaced by a bit of a "techno-ized" version of typical Vietnam songs. But still, you really don't need the vintage pop songs, the story lines are truely spectacular. IIRC, the series kind of followed real war events in chronological order, starting in 1967 or so. Season 2 starts with a two-parter called "Saigon" which deals with the Tet Offensive in '68.

Spoiler:
What I found intriguing about the show was that it wasn't shy in killing off main characters. The first season saw no less than at least 3 or 4 deaths of main characters. The Platoon's captain, played by Batman: TAS's Kevin Conroy was killed off within the last half-dozen or so episodes of Season 1.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 12-18-04 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-18-04, 01:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember having fond memories of it too, but then watching it again it just didn't live up IMHO. It turned out to be far more eposodic than I remember (no real story lines seem to carry over from show to show). I guess maybe shows like Alias, 24, Band of Brothers have "raised the bar" since ToD was out Personally Skyfire, unless you just have a wad of cash in your pocket you're looking to blow, I'd rent it first (not to mention there are no real special features of any sort)...
Old 12-18-04, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Cool spoilers for the person requesting info about the show...
^happy?