Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Quantum Leap Season Two - Music Replaced!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Quantum Leap Season Two - Music Replaced!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-04, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Universal are just slow in the brain and keep there hands in there pockets and just like messing people about! its evil and I wil still get it as it wont ever come out in its proper form ever which is a shame.
Old 12-14-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DoogieHowser
Which makes me wonder is, if Miami Vice could get the rights, why can't a show with far fewer smash hits?
Off-hand, (a) Michael Mann has way more clout than Donald Bellasario and (b) Miami Vice will sell better.
Old 12-14-04, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Off-hand, (a) Michael Mann has way more clout than Donald Bellasario and (b) Miami Vice will sell better.
I have to disagree about Mann having more clout. What is Mann producing today? Bellasario still has JAG and NCIS on the air. And if you look in the past, he had Battlesate Galactica, Magnum PI (and there might be a movie in the works), Knight Rider, and I am sure I must be missing a dozen more.
Old 12-14-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
I have to disagree about Mann having more clout. What is Mann producing today?
The Aviator (2004) (producer)
Collateral (2004) (producer)
Ali (2001) (producer)
The Insider (1999) (producer)

Not to mention what he wrote and directed and his Oscar Noms.

I'm a huge Leap fan but the poster was right. Mann would have much more clout then Don.
Old 12-14-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Not only was "Georgia On My Mind" important to this Season 2 episode, it was also used in the final scene of the SERIES FINALE (for reasons I won't spoil here). So now they'd better remember to replace it with the same song used here when they release the final season on DVD! I can't believe Universal didn't pony up the cash for this one...I'm guessing someone didn't tell them how pivotal that song was to the Al character.
Old 12-14-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Not to mention what he wrote and directed and his Oscar Noms.
Don't forget, his next movie is the big-screen adaptation of 'Miami Vice'.

[Though, to be fair, Bellasario is working on a movie-length 'Quantum Leap'... for television. You be the judge.]

Incidentally, I think it's also worth pointing out that Mann is the sort of guy who *really* gets into the music in his shows/movies, so it could just be an issue where Bellasario didn't mind while Mann certainly would've, but I think it's far more likely that he wasn't informed, or was informed at a point when he couldn't do anything about it.
Old 12-14-04, 01:14 PM

Don't forget, his next movie is the big-screen adaptation of 'Miami Vice'.
Do you have any links to that info? I wonder if he will have the original actors or if he will get new ones??
Old 12-14-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That really does suck though. So for those who have it, what song did they replace it with?
Old 12-14-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you have any links to that info? I wonder if he will have the original actors or if he will get new ones??
New ones. I'm not especially into the original, but I'm not 100% happy with the choices the IMDb is listing right now. Won't bad-mouth anybody, but let's just say I'm totally sold on Foxx being awesome (I thought 'Collateral' was utter crap except for him), but...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430357/

[There have been other announcements, though I'm not entirely sure it'll wind up happening, regardless.]

Originally Posted by darthlurker
So for those who have it, what song did they replace it with?
Generic similar-sounding songs with no lyrics. I don't have it, but that's what the linked-thread says.

To reiterate, IT'S NOT JUST ONE SONG.
Old 12-14-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a bad feeling when/if we get to Season 5's Memphis Melody among other shows.
Old 12-14-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Well, I was going to pick this up with Return of the King after work today. I guess, only ROTK is making the trip home with me. The first thing that came to mind is the final episode. Pivitol. I've only had a few episodes of a tv show get to me emotionally, and the final ep. of QL was one of them. Georgia on my Mind is a part of the reason for this. It is a very powerful scene, now dimished to the ranks of any episode of any other show. Shame.

I'm I overreacting as a fan? Not in the least. Lest we all forget the fans MADE this show. QL was on the chopping block every season. It was the fans that wrote letters, called the network and kept it on the air for 5 years. So how do they treat these fans? Changing the original shows and overcharging for the set. If they are doing this to save so much money, this season should be around $30 S.R.P., not $60+

In the end I will probably pick it up at a later date, but now there is no rush. I was looking forward to this more than any other fall/winter release. Now I'll wait until it hits ebay/half.com cheap, or a drastic price drop occurs.

Universal screws the pooch once again.
Old 12-14-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, that sucks. And I usally don't get too bent out of shape over things like this, but this just sucks. And what does it mean for the Series Finale where they use that song again? It also brings up the question, will there be music replacements on future episodes? What about "The Leap Home" (season three?) where he's singing "Imagine?" Surely, they wouldnt' cut that...would they?
Old 12-14-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darthlurker
Damn, that sucks. And I usally don't get too bent out of shape over things like this, but this just sucks. And what does it mean for the Series Finale where they use that song again? It also brings up the question, will there be music replacements on future episodes? What about "The Leap Home" (season three?) where he's singing "Imagine?" Surely, they wouldnt' cut that...would they?
Well, seeing as how Scott is singing it and it is not the actual Lennon tune leads me to believe that they would not but *shrug* who knows?
Old 12-14-04, 03:25 PM

New ones. I'm not especially into the original, but I'm not 100% happy with the choices the IMDb is listing right now. Won't bad-mouth anybody, but let's just say I'm totally sold on Foxx being awesome (I thought 'Collateral' was utter crap except for him), but...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430357/

[There have been other announcements, though I'm not entirely sure it'll wind up happening, regardless.]
I would not have thought Foxx would make a good drama actor (considering all the comedy he does), but he was very good in Collateral. But I wonder why they don't make the movie with the original cast??

I wonder if everything will be in pastels? And with blazers where the sleeves are rolled up. This could be a good flick.
Old 12-14-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote: "Imagine one of your FAVORITE episodes from any tv series not being the same as it was when you originally saw it. They have every right to be pissed about this release. Maybe if Universal gave us a little heads up, we consumers could have avoided buying something we regretted later."

My two favorite Shows of all time, have had 95% of their music replaced for the DVD. Roswell and Dawson's Creek both have had major music changes (especially in places you would think a music change would be impossible). Yet I still buy the DVD's because they are the shows I love, and I can live without the music (although I do still keep my old VHS tapes).

But From what I read awhile before season 1 came out, I heard that if they were going to keep all the music for seasons 2+ the sets would be around the same price as the X-Files Sets where when they originally came out ($149.95 MSRP just for the music).
Old 12-14-04, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
But From what I read awhile before season 1 came out, I heard that if they were going to keep all the music for seasons 2+ the sets would be around the same price as the X-Files Sets where when they originally came out ($149.95 MSRP just for the music).
I would pay the extra money to have the shows on DVD as they were on TV, with the same music. But for that high a price, I would also expect some nice extra's, like cast commentaries.
Old 12-14-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel L
See, that strikes me as your problem. Everyone who bought it gets to enjoy Star Wars in pristine quality, changes aside. You get to feel proud for showing Lucas a thing or two about changing his own films. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I'm sorry you see that as a problem. As you say everyone gets to enjoy Star Wars on DVD. That's great for them! I guess that floats their (and your) boat. But I wouldn't. Honestly, would you spend money on something you wouldn't (or couldn't) enjoy? If you like Star Wars with all it's alterations, more power to you. I'm non-sarcastically happy for you.

As for me, and you can see this as a problem too, I couldn't sit down and watch something (let alone BUY something) that's been changed so much that I couldn't enjoy it any longer. My not buying the Star Wars trilogy has nothing to do to "show Lucas a thing or two" (that's what my signature's for ! ) I merely did not buy Star Wars because I knew I wouldn't enjoy it. Not anymore. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.

As for Quantum Leap, I'm not going to buy it either. Not to thumb my nose at Universal for daring to change the music. I'm sure it's a total economical issue for the song rights (as opposed to Lucas' "Artistic Rights"). Something I thought wasn't going to be an issue because of the price of the DVDs (as seen in the First Season release).

No, I'm not going to buy it because I'm not going to be able to enjoy one of my favorite episodes on DVD anymore (along with whatever other music changes have occured). That one song defined that episode...hell, it defined that moment of Quantum Leap for Al. So much so that it follows through to the final episode. I would literally cringe if that song was not a part of that moment.

Again, why should I buy something I'm not going to enjoy?

If you buy it, I'm glad you can enjoy it. Seriously.

Andrew

Last edited by The Valeyard; 12-14-04 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-14-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah - Imagine and Georgia on my Mind strike me as the two most important songs in the 5 years.

I actually think I'm going to return my unopened box I received today from Amazon.

And that will be a first for me.
Old 12-14-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seeker
Yeah - Imagine and Georgia on my Mind strike me as the two most important songs in the 5 years.

I actually think I'm going to return my unopened box I received today from Amazon.

And that will be a first for me.
Dan,

I see where you are coming from. This is such a tough one for me and I am still debating if I should pick this up. QL is my favorite show and I was so happy when I found out of the DVD release. My tapes, some recordings dating back to the original NBC runs (most of them from Sci-fi), were really worn out and not in any order.

I feel I probably could live with any other change but Georgia on my Mind which became such a staple of the show and kicked off my love for Ray Charles in my teens. The fact that it links to the finale is another thing that bothers me with the removal.

Part of me wants to snag it because of all the other shows but the other part wants to hold out in hopes of a future release with the song in tact.

Can anybody out there who purchased the set tell me exactly how the music sounds and is it really THAT bad? Maybe get a clip online or something.
Old 12-14-04, 07:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
If they pre-empt John Lennon's "Imagine" in Season 3...then I think all you fans should go ape shit! Me as well as I was considering purchasing the set just for the first two eps of that season! Any date on when this is coming out?
Old 12-14-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the review on DVD Talk says that there are no extras at all. can anyone confirm that this is true? season 1 had a few commentaries (meager at best), is that going to be the case for season 2?

*sigh* ..with all of those changes, i'm really having an internal debate whether or not to buy this set.
Old 12-14-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by runner001
the review on DVD Talk says that there are no extras at all. can anyone confirm that this is true? season 1 had a few commentaries (meager at best), is that going to be the case for season 2?

*sigh* ..with all of those changes, i'm really having an internal debate whether or not to buy this set.
Yeah, it is right. There is NOTHING on these discs and, to boot, they are also DOUBLE SIDED
Old 12-14-04, 09:00 PM

Off topic question, but you made it pop into my head. What was the name of the TV show where the theme music was Georgia on my Mind? I think it was a sheriff down south, when it started he was a good cop, but somehow the series changed and became darker.
In the Heat of the Night? Ray Charles did that too...
Old 12-14-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Dan,

I see where you are coming from. This is such a tough one for me and I am still debating if I should pick this up. QL is my favorite show and I was so happy when I found out of the DVD release. My tapes, some recordings dating back to the original NBC runs (most of them from Sci-fi), were really worn out and not in any order.

I feel I probably could live with any other change but Georgia on my Mind which became such a staple of the show and kicked off my love for Ray Charles in my teens. The fact that it links to the finale is another thing that bothers me with the removal.

Part of me wants to snag it because of all the other shows but the other part wants to hold out in hopes of a future release with the song in tact.

Can anybody out there who purchased the set tell me exactly how the music sounds and is it really THAT bad? Maybe get a clip online or something.
I'll send you mine for $40 + $3.85 priority shipping.... ok, seriously. even though you're in canada!

For an extra $12, I'll send you my book, The Blacksmith's Gift, too!
Old 12-14-04, 10:24 PM

Well, I'm not happy about the change, but I still bought the set. I plan on turning the sound off during the Georgia on My Mind spot and turning on the cd player with the song playing. I can easily fool myself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.