DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Release Dates til the cows come home...hundreds you may have missed (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/400124-release-dates-til-cows-come-home-hundreds-you-may-have-missed.html)

Cameron 12-11-04 12:34 AM

Release Dates til the cows come home...hundreds you may have missed

This was on the digital bits classics page....lots to read, just wanted it here for all to read. Lots of Noir below...have at it

Alpha has 57 new releases planned, spread out over December 21st and January 25th. It's the usual combination of westerns (with the likes of Buster Crabbe, Jack Randall, Ray Corrigan, Tex Ritter, Tom Tyler, and Bob Steele), mysteries (including the Ann Sheridan film noir Woman on the Run), serials (Fighting with Kit Carson), and television episodes. Check the database for specific titles.

Columbia will release Otto Preminger's Bunny Lake Is Missing (1965, with Laurence Olivier and Carol Lynley) on January 25th and Godzilla Vs. the Sea Monster (1966) on February 8th. The company is also apparently preparing a major restoration of Major Dundee (1965, directed by Sam Peckinpah, with Charlton Heston) that will add 12 minutes of footage to the previous version. A DVD release for about June 2005 is planned after a theatrical release in mid-spring.

On January 11th, Criterion will release two films by Seijun Suzuki - Youth of the Beast (1963) and Fighting Elegy (1966). Then on the 18th, we'll get two Jacques Becker titles - Touchez Pas au Grisbi (1954) and Casque d'Or (1952). Criterion's February releases include two Jules Dassin film noirs - Night and the City (1950, with Richard Widmark and Gene Tierney) and Thieves' Highway (1949, with Richard Conte) - and Bernardo Bertolucci's first film, La Commare Secca (1962). Coming from Criterion in the future are Jean Renoir's La Bete Humaine (1938) and The River (1951), Michael Powell's 49th Parallel (1942) and A Canterbury Tale (1944), and Michelangelo Antonioni's The Eclipse (1962).

Disney will debut four discs of Disney Classic Cartoon Favorites on January 11th. The titles are Volume One: Starring Mickey, Volume Two: Starring Donald Duck, Volume Three: Starring Goofy, and Volume Four: Starring Chip N' Dale. Each disc will contain from 7 to 9 classic cartoons.

Facets Video will offer Luis Bunuel's 1929 short, Un Chien Andalou on December 28th. The disc will feature a remastered B&W transfer, an audio commentary with surrealism expert Stephen Barber, an interview with Bunuel's son, Epilogue: Dali & Bunuel, and a collector's booklet featuring an abridged transcript of Bunuel's 1953 address "Mystery of Cinema".

Falcon Picture Group will be releasing various public domain titles, mainly for Critics' Choice Video. Coming on January 4th are: Rosalind Russell Double Feature #1, Till the Clouds Roll By (1946), and from television, Adventures of Robin Hood #4, Love That Bob #3, The Medic #2, and Private Secretary #1. February 8th will bring Betty Hutton Double Feature #1, Edward G. Robinson Double Feature #1, and from television, Adventures of Robin Hood #5, Decoy #1, Follow That Man (aka Man Against Crime) #1, and The Medic #3.

Fox will have five titles as part of an Easter promotion for a February 22nd release: A Tree Grows In Brooklyn (1945, with Dorothy McGuire and Peggy Ann Garner), Agony And The Ecstasy (1965, with Charlton Heston and Rex Harrison), Satan Never Sleeps (1962, with William Holden and Clifton Webb), Francis Of Assisi (1961, with Bradford Dillman and Dolores Hart), and Thunderhead: Son of Flicka (1945, with Roddy MacDowell). Fox's first wave of film noir titles is set for March 15th, but the titles are changed from those originally planned. The officially announced films are Call Northside 777 (1948, with James Stewart), Sam Fuller's House of Bamboo (1955, with Robert Ryan), and Panic in the Streets (1950, with Richard Widmark). Supplements include audio commentaries by James Ursini and Alain Silver, newsreel footage, and trailers. All will be in their OAR which means 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen for House of Bamboo and full frame for the other two. Laura has apparently been moved back to wave 2 scheduled for June 7 and currently slated to include Nightmare Alley and Street with No Name. Wave 3 is tentatively set for September 6 and to include The Dark Corner, The Lodger, and Hangover Square. Given the last-minute changes in wave 1, one should not, however, take the wave 2 and 3 news to the bank.

Goodtimes will have The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946, with Barbara Stanwyck) on Jan. 25th.

Image kicks off the new year with The Cameraman's Revenge and Other Fantastic Tales (1912-1958) featuring the puppet animation of Ladislaw Starewicz and The Old West (1952, with Gene Autry), both on January 4th. January 11th brings I, Monster (1971, with Christopher Lee) and the double bill of White Huntress/Jungle Siren (1957/1942). A Lon Chaney double bill of Victory (1919) and The Wicked Darling (1919) is set for January 25th, courtesy of David Shepard. He will also debut a remastered version of The Cat and the Canary (1927), with two music scores, on February 1st. Image's other February releases include two double bills - Hercules the Avenger/Hercules and the Black Pirate (1965/1964) and Magic Voyage of Sinbad/The Day the Earth Froze (1962/1964), both on February 8th, and Valley of Fire (1951, with Gene Autry) on February 15th.

Kino's plans for 2005 (no specific release dates as yet) include three Leni Riefenstahl films (S.O.S. Iceberg [1933], Storm over Mont Blanc [1930], and The White Hell of Pitz Palu [1929]); three Josephine Baker films (Princess Tam Tam [1935], Siren of the Tropics [1927]), and Zou Zou [1934]); two films by Maurice Tourneur (The Blue Bird [1918] and Lorna Doone [1922]); and three films by Maurice Stiller (Erotikon [1920], The Saga of Gosta Berling [1924], and Sir Arne's Treasure [1919]).

MGM will have the following Samuel Goldwyn productions out on March 8th: Arrowsmith (1931, with Ronald Colman), Barbara Coast (1935, with Edward G. Robinson), Come and Get It (1936, with Edward Arnold), Dead End (1937, with Humphrey Bogart), Enchantment (1948 with David Niven), Stella Dallas (1937, with Barbara Stanwyck), and We Live Again (1934, with Fredric March). The television releases Green Acres: Season Two and The Best of Mr. Ed: Volume Two will also appear on the same date. Then on March 22nd, we'll get the Sam Peckinpah classic Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974), Robert Blake in Electra Glide in Blue (1973), and Krakatoa East of Java (1969). All come with anamorphic transfers (except Krakatoa which is letterbox) and trailers. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia also includes an audio commentary with Peckinpah scholars Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons, and David Weddle (with moderator Nick Redman), while Electra Glide in Blue has both an introduction and commentary with director James Guercio. MGM is also working on special edition DVD releases for A Fistful of Dollars (1964), For a Few Dollars More (1966), and Fistful of Dynamite (1972, aka Duck You Sucker). All will include anamorphic transfers, commentary, interviews, documentaries, and assorted other supplements. Release is projected for summer 2005.

Milestone now indicates that the release of Legong: Dance of the Virgins (1935) has been delayed to December 7th and that of The Viking/White Thunder (1931/2002) to December 14th. Coming in 2005 (no specific release date as yet) is the documentary Olive Thomas: Everybody's Sweetheart (2004) paired with her feature The Flapper (1920).

MPI will have two box sets coming out on February 22nd - The Cisco Kid: Volume 4 and The Rifleman: Volume 3.

Paramount will have I Love Lucy: Season Three on February 1st with Have Gun Will Travel: Season Two also scheduled for that month. Other February releases include All in a Night's Work (1961, with Dean Martin), Hello Down There (1969, with Tony Randall), On a Clear Day You Can See Forever (1970, with Barbra Streisand), and The Reivers (1969, with Steve McQueen).

Roan Group will release the boxing comedy double bill of Kid Dynamite (1943, with the East Side Kids) and The Milky Way (1936, with Harold Lloyd) on January 25th.

Sony Music will release the Mr. Magoo Show: Complete Collection (1964) and Roger Ramjet: Hero of Our Nation (1965) on February 8th.

Universal has Preston Sturges's The Palm Beach Story (1942, with Claudette Colbert and Joel McCrea) coming on February 1st and apparently has plans for Leave It to Beaver and Woody Woodpecker television show releases later in 2005.

VCI has four releases scheduled for December 28th. Two of them will be serials - Holt of the Secret Service (1941, Columbia, with Jack Holt) and Winners of the West (1940, Universal, with Dick Foran). The others are Red Ryder western double bills. Red Ryder Double Feature #7 features William Elliott as Red Ryder in The Great Stagecoach Robbery (1945, Republic) and Phantom of the Plains (1945, Republic). Red Ryder Double Feature #8 features Allan Lane as Red Ryder in Rustlers of Devil's Canyon (1947, Republic) and Santa Fe Uprising (1946, Republic). Supplements on each disc will be a combination of trailers and serial chapters. The Dick Tracy serials previously expected this autumn are now delayed into 2005.

On March 1st, Warner Bros. will release two-disc special editions of Bringing Up Baby (1938) and The Philadelphia Story (1940), both starring Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn. Details should be available soon. Also coming on that date are: Dinner at Eight (1933, with Jean Harlow and Wallace Beery), Stage Door (1937, with Katharine Hepburn), Libeled Lady (1936, with Spencer Tracy and Jean Harlow), and To Be or Not to Be (1941, with Carole Lombard and Jack Benny). Warner Bros. is actively working on an Ultra Resolution restoration of The Wizard of Oz (1939) for a future DVD release. The company also has a release of Advise and Consent (1962, with Henry Fonda and Charles Laughton) in the works (no date set as yet) with a commentary by Drew Casper apparently to be included.

Although the release date of November 12th has passed, readers may be interested to know that Woodhaven has released 12 DVDs containing episodes of the 1950s television series You Are There with Walter Cronkite.

In Region 2 news, the biggest announcement comes from Optimum which will release seven desirable Fox titles on February 21st. The films are Broken Arrow (1950, with James Stewart), Broken Lance (1954, with Spencer Tracy), Dragonwyck (1946, with Gene Tierney), Garden of Evil (1954, with Gary Cooper), Warlock (1959, with Henry Fonda), Western Union (1941, with Randolph Scott), and Young Mr. Lincoln (1939, with Henry Fonda). In other news, the BFI will release G.W. Pabst's The Threepenny Opera (1931) on December 6th; Orbit will give us Charlie Chan in Paris (1935, with Warner Oland) on December 13th, and Universal-Columbia will release Cockleshell Heroes (1954, with Jose Ferrer) on December 27th. January will bring The Devil Ship Pirates (1964, with Christopher Lee) from Warner on the 17th and F.W. Murnau's Tartuffe (1925) from Eureka on the 24th. Cinema Club will release Red Sun (1971, with Charles Bronson) on February 7th, and Dentist on the Job (1961, with Bob Monkhouse) and The Man Who Haunted Himself (1970, with Roger Moore) both on February 21st. Eureka has a March 21st release date for Joe May's Asphalt (1929).

Bacon 12-11-04 02:51 AM

All that and not one thing I want? -ohbfrank-
:(

DVD Polizei 12-11-04 02:59 AM

Ohhh, c'mon. I know you want Dentist on the Job.

starving dvder 12-11-04 03:13 AM

Special Editions of the Clint Eastwood westerns are the only ones I would be getting.

drjay 12-11-04 03:22 AM

I'm digging the Antonioni, Bunuel, and the noir. Thanks for the post. :)

scarredgod 12-11-04 03:52 AM

Hangover Square, excellent!

Bill Needle 12-11-04 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Ohhh, c'mon. I know you want Dentist on the Job.

Already saw it on DVD courtesy of a film reel change mistake.

DrGerbil 12-11-04 04:07 AM

Hawks, Leone, and Suzuki... does it get any better? :)

Cameron 12-11-04 06:55 AM

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia...come on....come on

Jboone 12-11-04 08:00 PM

Green Acres season 2. yeah.

William Fuld 12-11-04 08:09 PM

I hadn't heard Major Dundee was getting a theatrical re-release. Pretty cool.

PopcornTreeCt 12-11-04 08:15 PM

Most of that stuff is well known except a new Wizard of Oz release. That's news to me.

sracer 12-11-04 09:16 PM

"Electra Glide in blue".... yeah!

JOE29 12-11-04 09:43 PM

I'll be getting the following, Major Dundee, The Two Eastwood remasterd westerns and .. thank you , thank you, thank you, for Broken Arrow, I've been waiting a few years now for this movie, thank you.

Sondheim 12-11-04 10:06 PM

There are way too many films coming out that I want. I'm probably looking forward to "Bringing Up Baby" most of all the titles.

Mike Lowrey 12-11-04 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by starving dvder
Special Editions of the Clint Eastwood westerns are the only ones I would be getting.

Same here. I'm not in the least bit interested in any of the film noir. Not my cup of tea.

sleep 12-11-04 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
On March 1st, Warner Bros. will release ... To Be or Not to Be (1941, with Carole Lombard and Jack Benny).

:thumbsup: I noticed the other night that DVD Aficianado was listing a March 1 release date for this gem.

Dabaomb 12-11-04 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Most of that stuff is well known except a new Wizard of Oz release. That's news to me.

yup, definitely news to me but very welcome news :up:

Buford T Pusser 12-11-04 11:59 PM

Green Acres season 2, Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia, Clint Eastwood trilogy (double dip), Harold Lloyd.

Doc Moonlight 12-12-04 09:52 AM

Most of the information I had seen before, but I'm really excited about DEVIL SHIP PIRATES. We're finally getting a Hammer pirate movie! Bring on PIRATES OF BLOOD RIVER and THE CRIMSON BLADE! Arrrrr!!!

Geofferson 12-12-04 02:48 PM

:up: MGM

philo 12-12-04 03:22 PM

A release of HANGOVER SQUARE in September is great news. First saw it on the pre-sucky AMC over ten years ago and the score by Bernard Herrmann is fantastic. Can't wait for that one.

I read it before but news of BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING getting released is also welcome. Very entertaining Preminger flick with an awesome creepy Keir Dullea, Lawrence Olivier and Noel Coward. The previews I saw of the recent Julianne Moore thriller reminded me of Bunny Lake.

Cameron 12-19-04 02:36 AM

something for everyone these days...wonder why Hondo wasn't on the list

Cameron 12-20-04 10:12 PM

January 4
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind 2 disc SE
Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle
Little Black book
Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2
Troy

January 11
The Fifth Element 2-disc Ultimate Edition
Gilligan’s Island Season 2
Ice Station Zebra
Leon the Professional 2-disc SE
OZ: Season 4
Paparazzi
The Village
Walt Disney Classic Cartoon Favorites vol. 1-4 Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Chip and Dale
Without a paddle

January 18
Akira Kurosawa’s Kagemusha
Aladdin 2&3 Collection
Catwoman
Cellular
The Forgotten
Friday Night Lights
Kung Fu Season 2
Wonderfalls

January 25
Alien vs. Predator
Batman the Animated series vol. 2
Backbeat SE
Beastmaster SE
Dukes of Hazard Season 2
First Daughter
MacGuyver Season 1
Metallica Some kind of Monster
MONSTER SE
October Sky SE
Predator 2 2 disc SE
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
SNL: The Best of Jimmy Fallon
Superman the Animated series vol. 1
Warner Bros. Classic Gangster collection: Angels with Dirty faces, Little Caesar, The Petrified Forest, The Public Enemy, The Roaring Twenties, White Heat

February 1
Beethowen 1&2
The Bodyguard SE
The Brak Show Season 1
Broadway Melody of 1929
Chariots of Fire SE
Charmed Season 1
Cheers Season 4
Edison: The Inventions of the movies 4 Disc Box Set
Frasier Season 5
The Grudge
I love lucy season 3
Karate Kid Box Set parts 1-4
Look Who’s talking Box Set
Mr. 3000
Mulan II
Ray
Sealab 2021 Season 2
Shall We Dance
She Hate Me
Taxi Season 2
Vanity Fair

February 8
America’s next top model season 1
Chappelle Show Season 2
The Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Full House Season 1
The Grid Mini Series
Highlander season 6
Malcom X SE
Martin Scorsese MgM Box Set: Raging Bull 2 disc SE, Last Waltz SE, Boxcar Bertha, New York New York
Miami Vice Season 1
Murphy Brown Season 1
Night Court Season 1
The Notebook
Punky Brewster Season 2
7th Heaven Season 2
Shark Tale

February 15
Donnie Darko 2 Disc DC
Goodtimes Season 4
Half Baked Fully Baked Edition
The Motorcycle Diaries
Saw
Taxi
Young Einstein

February 22
Agony and the Ecstasy (1965)
Class of Nuke Em High 3 disc Box Set
Funny Girl/Funny Lady Box Set
Get Shorty SE
Have Gun Will Travel Season 2
Heat SE
I Heart Huckabees
King of Queens Season 3
Leave her to heaven
A letter to three wives
Miyazaki’s The Cat Returns
Miyazaki’s Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
Miyazaki’s Porco Rosso
Return to Peyton Place
Strangers When we meet
Striparella Season 1
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

March 1
Bambi Platinum Edition
Brady Bunch Season 1
D.C. Cab
The Exorcist: The Beginning
Hoosiers SE
South Park Season 5
Warner Bros. Classic comedies box set: Bringing up Baby 2 Disc SE, The Philadelphia Story 2 disc SE, Dinner at eight, The Libled lady, Stage Door, To be or not to be
Wonder Woman Season 2

March 8
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason
Friends Season 8
Green Acres Season 2
Johnny Cash! The Man, His World, His Music
Ladder 49
Mr. Ed Season 2
Women thou art loosed

March 15
Alfie (2004)
Call Northside 77
Hogans Heroes Season 1
House of Bamboo
The Incredibles
La Femme Nikita Season 2
Laura
Panic in the Streets
The Pretender Season 1
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie
Star Trek First Contact CE
Warner Bros. Classic Musicals collection: Bandwagon 2 disc SE, Bells are ringing, Brigadoon SE, The Easter Parade 2 disc SE, Finians Rainbow, Judy Garland: By myslf Documentary

March 22
Sam Peckinpah’s Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
Star Wars: Clone Wars Vol. 1
Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace
Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones

March 29
Apollo 13 2 Disc Anniversary Edition
Blue Chips
Combat Season 3 Operation 1&2
Orgazmo SE
Team America World Police
The Toxic Avenger 21st Anniversary Edition
Troma’s Make your own Damn Movie Box Set
Twilight Zone Season 2 (Original Series)

April 5
Finding Neverland
National Treasure

April 12
The Hitchhiker 2

April 19
Lemony Snicket’s A series of Unfortunate Events

April 26
E.R. Season 3

May 3
Star Trek Enterprise Season 1
Three’s Company Season 4