DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   DVDProfiler 2.3! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/400111-dvdprofiler-2-3-a.html)

Michael Corvin 12-11-04 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by mtucker
Delicious Library is a nice alternative for the Mac although the program may be a bit more Amazon-centric (it performs lookups through Amazon's site) than some people like.

Yep. Tried this one out, but I think the $40 is a bit steep for a catalog program. The integration with iSight is pretty sweet. Hold the bar code up to the camera and it scans it and adds it to your library. I wonder if it works with cheaper model cameras.

Chem 12-12-04 03:24 AM

I hear DVDCache for the Mac is excellent.

imp66 12-12-04 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
I'll probably update soon, was just worried about losing some info. Creating back-ups is not my specialty.

Several people have expressed worry about losing data. It is so ridiculously simple in DVDProfiler to backup your data in TWO ways, why worry? First, simply click FILE, BACKUP PROFILES DATABASE. Tell it where you want the file, and BLAMO! it's done. Secondly, you can upload your database to their site by creating an account. Then simply download the database back to yourself. That's how I keep my database updated between home, laptop and work.

eisenreich 12-12-04 10:22 AM

Just switched over, entirely painless and thumbs up for the new version

raytrade 12-12-04 06:07 PM

The TAGS feature is one of the most useful, in my opinion. The possibilities for creating custom categories is now limitless. For all the people that have wished Profiler could handle such personalized categories as "Willing to Trade", "B&W", "DVD-Rs", or "out-of-print" can now just create those tags and flag the discs that go in those categories. This also works great for those who have wanted to add VCDs, Laserdiscs, or VHS into their collection. Just create custom tags for those media types, then manually add those titles by name. Of course don't contribute your custom non-DVD entries to the database. I am now in the process of adding the movies I have on non-DVD media to my collection this way. It'll save me a lot of mistaken double-buys on titles I already have on older media and also allow me to comprehensively see what I own duplicates of on different media so I can sell the old LD or VHS versions.

Altimus Prime 12-12-04 06:41 PM

I updated and don't think I lost any info. No problemo.

Stats 12-13-04 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by raytrade
The TAGS feature is one of the most useful, in my opinion. The possibilities for creating custom categories is now limitless.

So one could create a Tag for watched/unwatched, correct? This would be very useful, as earlier posters have said.

TomOpus 12-13-04 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Stats
So one could create a Tag for watched/unwatched, correct? This would be very useful, as earlier posters have said.

Yes, I've created "Watched" "Unwatched" "Partial watched". You can then filter using Tags and print out the list. Pretty cool.

Shagrath 12-13-04 09:22 AM

Well, I went ahead and made an "Unwatched" tag, and flagged everything in my collection that I haven't seen, and it seems to work okay. So I guess this is the way I'll be doing it from now on. Only took me about 5 minutes to run through my collection and flag the extisting unwatched list.

Big Worms 12-13-04 11:10 AM

Boxset feature is really nice. You can add your boxset, than the individual disk. Then you can go to your main boxset and group the individual disks underneath this one. It than puts a +/- next to it.

shawagg 12-13-04 11:19 PM

Link please. I think I'll try this thing.

Big Worms 12-13-04 11:23 PM

http://www.intervocative.com

royal 12-13-04 11:25 PM

I've always used dvdaf, but then found this program about a week ago when I decided since I enjoy watching and collecting dvds, that I would sign up to a dvd forum and saw people talking about this program. I decided to give it a shot, found it was an excellent program, and registered it.

seymouru 12-17-04 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by onebyone
I hope this means they are going to start updating the database because darn they are behind.

They've finally updated the database. But you have to upgrade to Ver. 2.3.1 Build 826 (just uploaded yesterday), or the database updates won't work.

onebyone 12-17-04 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by seymouru
They've finally updated the database. But you have to upgrade to Ver. 3.2.1 Build 826 (just uploaded yesterday), or the database updates won't work.

Oh thanks a lot for the tip. I will go take care of this now.

jetflair 12-17-04 08:50 PM

Do you have to pay for DVD Profiler now?

rdodolak 12-17-04 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by jetflair
Do you have to pay for DVD Profiler now?

No, premium registration is still optional.

Big Worms 12-17-04 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by rdodolak
No, premium registration is still optional.

It also went up from $25 -> $29.99

onebyone 12-18-04 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by onebyone
Oh thanks a lot for the tip. I will go take care of this now.

All but 4 of my 16 DVD backlog is in there now so we are really moving along. Glad to see things shaping up so well.

shawagg 12-18-04 03:00 AM

So does that mean I need to download the new one and re-install it?

Sorry I'm new to this.

danwiz 12-18-04 03:05 AM

Just downloaded and installed the new version. No problems! And, to the people who have been asking if NOTES will transfer over into the new version - the answer is a definite YES! The Notes section is where I keep track of dates when I watch the DVD's. So, that's an important field for me NOT to lose!

I have the premium registration, it's nice. If you have any doubts, go ahead and pay for it, especially if you use it a bunch - it's the cheapest "good deal" you'll get most anywhere!

shawagg 12-18-04 04:19 AM

Thanks... looks like it worked.

I've had this for a week and so far it's working pretty well. I love that my database is on my harddrive and just only online.

Just wish I had a scanner for the UPCs. Anyone know of a cheap one out there?

seymouru 12-18-04 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by shawagg
Just wish I had a scanner for the UPCs. Anyone know of a cheap one out there?

Most of the folks on the DVDProfiler boards recommend the Cue Cat scanner. It's only about $10 on eBay. Here's a thread about it.

http://www.intervocative.com/Forums....c&topicID=7829

HotThang 12-18-04 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
This would actually be a helpful feature, as I've just been adding "Watched" in the notes sections of DVD Profiler 2.1. I'll probably update soon, was just worried about losing some info. Creating back-ups is not my specialty. If the new version allows for this "Watched" feature, I'll be more than happy to upgrade immediately. Anyone have any info on this?

K

I've been using the rating system. I just give it 4 stars if I've watched it and use the filter to weed them out.

I just wish you could filter by time! If I have 90 minutes to kill, I want to know what I can watch in that time frame.

Third Baseman 12-18-04 12:42 PM

It's impressive. :up: