Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Burns and Allen collection coming 12/28

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-04, 07:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Burns and Allen collection coming 12/28

As an FYI:
There is a 2 disc collection from the great comedy team Burns and Allen from Goodtimes Video on 12/28- There is no much detail as to what episodes will be on the collection- Let's hope it's not more Public Domain crap.

DVDUNIVERSE has just added this description but no episodes listed- Hopefully with at least 8 hours- there will be episodes that have not been on DVD yet.

Best of the Burns and Allen Show - Volumes 1 & 2
Regular Price: *$10.89
Sale Price: *$10.64 *

Availability:*Pre-Order Now! Available: Tuesday, December 28, 2004
Format:*
Add to Wish List
------------------------------------------------------------------------ DETAILED INFORMATION
List Price $15.95 (You save $5.31)
Category Television / TV Series, Comedians / Comediennes, Comedies, Comedy Teams, Sitcoms, Vintage TV
Studio GoodTimes Entertainment
DVD Encoding Region 1
CDU Part# 6790320
Catalog# 50342
Discs 2
Street Date Dec 28, 2004
Rating Not Rated
Movie Details B&W

------------------------------------------------------------------------ DVD FEATURES
Region 1
Keep Case
2-Disc Set
Single Side - Single Layer
Full Frame -

------------------------------------------------------------------------ CAST AND CREW INFORMATION
Starring** Gracie Allen
*** George Burns
------------------------------------------------------------------------ DESCRIPTION
Radio personalities Gracie Allen and George Burns found success by moving their act to television when it was still a relatively new medium. Many radio stars tried this, but rarely did it work out so well. Playing versions of themselves, Gracie and George entertained viewers with their hilarious couple-dynamics from 1950 to 1958. Their Vaudeville routine came to life on the screen through original storylines and a fantastic cast. This release features more than eight hours of THE BURNS & ALLEN show's best episodes.
Old 12-09-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but as the distributor is Goodtimes, there's a 99% chance it's just another PD release.
Old 12-10-04, 12:47 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pity that. If it's PD, then I probably already have it. I wish they'd put out some real versions of the show - I never knew how GOOD George Burns was. The man is comic gold.
Old 12-10-04, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
As good as George is, Gracie was the real heart of the act. She had perfect timing. Watching the shows it is obvious why George loved her so much.
Old 12-10-04, 03:24 PM
Suspended

Oh, not to undermine the other half of the team - its just that all I ever knew George from growing up was from Oh God and the Muppet show - a pretty limited cross-section of his career. It was only just reciently that I discovered the show, and how good they are.
Old 12-17-04, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts
Check out the Burns & Allen Radio series.
A gold mine of comedy.
Plus some great guest stars like: Ronald Ronald, Rita Hayworth, Harpo Marx, Frank Sinatra, Alan Ladd, and whole bunch of other famous stars.
Old 12-17-04, 06:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by will travel
Check out the Burns & Allen Radio series.
A gold mine of comedy.
Plus some great guest stars like: Ronald Ronald, Rita Hayworth, Harpo Marx, Frank Sinatra, Alan Ladd, and whole bunch of other famous stars.

Thnx I do already, thanx to Sirius Satellite Radio- They have radio classics on Channel 133 and Burns and Alllen audio series airs there as part of the lineup, among Our Miss Brooks, Marx Bros, Abbott and costello, and many many more including dramas, adventure, suspense etc.
Old 12-17-04, 07:36 PM

There are several $1 Burns & Allen dvds in the "Television Classics" line from Genius Entertainment, found in many "Dollar Tree", "99 Cent Only", Walmart & Target locations. They're not half bad! Also 3 Jack Benny dvds, a couple of Abbott & Costello (tv shows), and numerous animation dvds of interest.
Old 12-17-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have this set from Koch. Transfers aren't great, but better than Goodtimes/Madacy quality. Very watchable, considering it's 50-year-old TV!

Disc 1 - The First Show; Gracie's Tax Return
Disc 2 - Speech Writer; Gracie's Checking Account
Disc 3 - Gracie's Wedding Plans; Teen Visit
Disc 4 - Swami; Beverly Hills Society
Disc 5 - Hollywood Couples: George Burns and Gracie Allen
Old 12-18-04, 12:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by unclehulot
There are several $1 Burns & Allen dvds in the "Television Classics" line from Genius Entertainment, found in many "Dollar Tree", "99 Cent Only", Walmart & Target locations. They're not half bad! Also 3 Jack Benny dvds, a couple of Abbott & Costello (tv shows), and numerous animation dvds of interest.
These $1 DVDs of Burns & Allen from Television Classics are good, I have all 3 volumes. But I don't know why they changed the theme music on volume 3 of Burns & Allen.