Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sopranos Season 5 info

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sopranos Season 5 info

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/rumors.html

"While original plans called for an early parole in the new year, HBO Video has decided to release The Sopranos: The Complete Fifth Season in the fourth quarter of 2005. The move will better position the box set for the debut of the sixth - and in all likelihood final - season in early 2006."

I'm just glad to hear some news on this one, even if it is a year away.
Old 12-09-04, 02:49 AM

Wow, that's a long time to wait. Season 4 came out in Oct 2003.
Old 12-09-04, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed. Wait longer, pay more. Thank you HBO.
Old 12-09-04, 04:48 AM
Cool New Member

Not sure if I'll bite on this -- might wait a year or so and pick it up in a sale. Wasn't a great season, and neither was the last, but I picked that up the other day for 40 euro. It's still one of the best on TV.
Old 12-09-04, 06:48 AM

I always figured Season 5 would arrive next year. I have to disagree that it wasn't a great season though -- I thought it was easily the best season since 1 & 2. It was a treat to see such a mature, intelligent program.
Old 12-09-04, 08:36 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I pretty much expected this.
Old 12-09-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, well - I don't really need to spend any more money right now anyway. (Maybe start a wishlist for next November's sales.)
Old 12-09-04, 01:23 PM

I thought this was a great season. Some Sopranos seasons aren't as great as others but the weakest ones are still brilliant and better than any other season of television.

It would be great if this came out before next year's big DDD winter sale.
Old 12-09-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I missed the whole of season 5 and am more than a little anxious to get my hands on it! While the long wait definately sucks, hopefully it will be all the sweeter once it does actually get here.
Old 12-09-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should have come out THIS YEAR. Or at least in one of the first two quarters of 2005. This is as bad as the wait for Twin Peaks season two.
Old 12-09-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
It should have come out THIS YEAR. Or at least in one of the first two quarters of 2005. This is as bad as the wait for Twin Peaks season two.
Now, now - let's not exaggerate. It is HARDLY that bad. I mean at least we have a tentative release year and quarter for this show. Who KNOWS when/if we'll see S2 of Twin Peaks.

Originally Posted by j_nolan
Not sure if I'll bite on this -- might wait a year or so and pick it up in a sale. Wasn't a great season, and neither was the last, but I picked that up the other day for 40 euro. It's still one of the best on TV.
Are you on crack?! Rank-wise best to least best would be 1, 2, 5, 3 and 4.
Old 12-09-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved S5 with the exception of Buscemi, tho I thought did terribly. I love the episode he directed in the previous season, but he just didn't work for me as an actor (and I love Buscemi in everything else he's ever done, I'm a huge fan).
Old 12-09-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Now, now - let's not exaggerate. It is HARDLY that bad. I mean at least we have a tentative release year and quarter for this show. Who KNOWS when/if we'll see S2 of Twin Peaks.
You haven't heard? Paramount plans on a world wide release of season two in the third quarter of 2005.
Old 12-09-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I can't believe we have to wait a whole other year.
Old 12-09-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Well, between Star Trek:TOS sets, Lost In Space sets, Seinfeld sets (even at $19.99 each, ), and LOTR EE Trilogy, my wallet appreciates the break.
Old 12-09-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
All this wait, and I bet it'll still have almost no extras.
Old 12-09-04, 06:20 PM
Banned

The Sopranos is a great TV show. In years to come, im assuming all the seasons on DVD will drastically drop, when that happens ill buy all of them
Old 12-09-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another year just means that DVD prices will continue to fall and this will just look that much more overpriced. Its a great show, but 100 bucks for 13 episodes.

People already watch the damn show, holding the release accomplishes nothing except pissing thoses that want it off. Just advertise again before the season - the DVDs don't sell the show - the show sells the DVDs.

HBO sucks at capatilizing on momentum. Look at how a competetor trotted out Frazier's final Season ASAP to capitalize on a moment. For those who don't have HBO, as soon as the season ends is a great time to see the set arrive. I even had HBO, but did not sart watching the show until half way through season 5 so I never watched them on TV - like seeing the show in order. I just assumed - wrongly - it would be out quick since all the other seasons were already out.
Old 12-09-04, 10:21 PM

In my opinion HBO shows are WAY too overpriced, I almost picked all the sopranos seasons once then came to my senses. So few episodes way too much $$$! HBO takes you for a ride. I do get the Sex & the Citys (although not happily) but the way my wife watches them its at least worth it. I liked Deadwood but that set will never sit on my shelf either.
Old 12-09-04, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by speedyray
Another year just means that DVD prices will continue to fall and this will just look that much more overpriced. Its a great show, but 100 bucks for 13 episodes.

People already watch the damn show, holding the release accomplishes nothing except pissing thoses that want it off. Just advertise again before the season - the DVDs don't sell the show - the show sells the DVDs.

HBO sucks at capatilizing on momentum. Look at how a competetor trotted out Frazier's final Season ASAP to capitalize on a moment. For those who don't have HBO, as soon as the season ends is a great time to see the set arrive. I even had HBO, but did not sart watching the show until half way through season 5 so I never watched them on TV - like seeing the show in order. I just assumed - wrongly - it would be out quick since all the other seasons were already out.
See I disagree completely. Watching the DVDs got me hooked on the show, I would bet that's the case with most people. It makes sense to release the dvd of season 5 just before season 6, it builds momentum. The publicity of season 5 coming out will get people watching their dvds again, they'll watch season 5 and eagerly await season 6.

Having said that, I'll eagerly await season 6 regardless of when season 5 dvds come out. For me personally, I wish season 5 was out sooner, but i understand that for their purposes it makes sense to release it later.
Old 12-09-04, 10:29 PM
Suspended

um 13 hours of a high quality show is way fucking worth the 100$ price.
Old 12-09-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytona24
In my opinion HBO shows are WAY too overpriced, I almost picked all the sopranos seasons once then came to my senses. So few episodes way too much $$$! HBO takes you for a ride. I do get the Sex & the Citys (although not happily) but the way my wife watches them its at least worth it. I liked Deadwood but that set will never sit on my shelf either.
I agree, this is why I didn't pick up Ali G ($20.00 for 6 episodes just seems absurd).

I will more than likely wait for some good deals for any future HBO series releases (which is why I've held off on Sopranos Season 4 and Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 2)
Old 12-10-04, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zidane349
um 13 hours of a high quality show is way fucking worth the 100$ price.
Not too mention that the most i've payed for any of the four seasons is $55. gots to know how to shop around people!!

i'm actually glad it's coming out then...the next few months are going to be might lean in the brizz house, so no dvds until the summer probably
Old 12-10-04, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by speedyray
If you're paying $100 for a season of the Sopranos, you may need to spend more time browsing the Bargains forum!
Old 12-10-04, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JoeR63
If you're paying $100 for a season of the Sopranos, you may need to spend more time browsing the Bargains forum!
No I have all four seasons and I have $125 + Dead Ringers CC invested in them.

What I am saying is the MSRP is absurd. Just like X-Files, which I have not bought. They dropped a little, and with another drop I may get them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.