DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Matrix UE packaging question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/399669-matrix-ue-packaging-question.html)

masetodd 12-08-04 01:48 PM

Matrix UE packaging question

When I opened the individual packages (the cardboard ones), I noticed the discs were in no particular order. The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions had the bonus disc on top of the movie disc, etc. - My disc order was 1,2,4,3,6,5,7,10,8,9.

It's totally not an issue to me - I was just wondering if everyone's was the same, or is it just random?

Admiral7 12-08-04 02:09 PM

Mine was similar, at least mine had The Matrix Revisited ON TOP of The Matrix. I haven't checked the others. I will simply switch mine, but I did think it was really stupid to do it that way.

Michael Corvin 12-08-04 02:44 PM

are they physically doubled up on the same side of the case, actually on top of each other? If so it makes perfect sense to me. The bottom one is less likely to fall out or get loose and get scratched up.

I do this exact thing with double disc cases. I put the movie in the back, and the extras disc in the loose swinging holder in the front. The loose one is more apt to lose the disc.

MasterofDVD 12-08-04 04:14 PM

I posted a picture of these awful cases on my blog so I'll link to the pic.

http://www.masterofdvd.com/MatrixFUp.jpg

Great set but some of the worst packaging I've ever seen.

Heartagram 12-08-04 05:19 PM

This was also recently done with Anchor Bay's release of Hercules: The Legendary Series 4th Season as well, I personally like it. Im assuming the 5th season will be like this as well.

MasterofDVD 12-08-04 05:28 PM

Just hours before I picked up my Matrix set my wife and I were visiting a friend of ours. This friend is a DVD collector as well and we were talking about cases and sets. She brought out her Xena set to show me this double packaging and my anger was something she expected and related to. Imagine my shock when I get my Matrix set home and find out that after ranting about bad DVD set packaging that I just bought my first set that had this awful setup. If I had known it was going to be like this I would of sprung for the LE version and dealt with the fact that I would have a 3rd Neo bust right now.

fumanstan 12-08-04 05:59 PM

I really don't mind the packaging at all. Nothing for me to get worked up about. But yeah, i noticed that Revisted discs were on top of the Movie discs. No big deal.

Mike Lowrey 12-08-04 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Heartagram
This was also recently done with Anchor Bay's release of Hercules: The Legendary Series 4th Season as well, I personally like it. Im assuming the 5th season will be like this as well.

The Xena Seasons 4 and 5 are like that, as well as Highlander - Season 5. Quite frankly, I don't get why the top holder has closed thumb slots on the top. You practically have to turn the digipak upside-down to get the right leverage on the disc to get it out.

JackBurton 12-08-04 09:24 PM

Discs Damaged!!!

I too, found the Matrix set's packaging to be extremely shitty. I could live with it though, if I were not conviced that this type of disc placement is damaging to the discs. I opened my set last night only to find that the Matrix (1) movie disc was badly scuffed. Of course, I was pissed, that is the most important disc in the set. Other discs also had minor scratches. I took it back to the store (Walmart) and the girl in the electronics section opened another set in front of me to ensure that it was in good shape. But several discs in that set were scratched as well.

In all we opened 3 sets in order to put together a set for me without scratches. Still, one of my discs containing bonus materials is slightly scuffed, But there were no more discs left in better condition to replace it! She said that the sets would have to go back to the distrubutor because they are defective.

If every set at my Walmart contained at least one scratched disc, I highly doubt this is an isolated incident. Anybody else find scratched discs in their set? I'm of the opinion that the set should be recalled until they can give it a decent packaging that can protect the discs.

Rammsteinfan 12-08-04 10:07 PM

I think Im gonna do custom cases for each film, animatrix and the last set, this digipak crap is for the birds.

fumanstan 12-08-04 10:43 PM

Just took a look at all my discs and didn't see any scratches.

tinlunlau 12-08-04 11:27 PM

http://www.tower3a.com/cgi-bin/ut/to...947&pg=1&bpg=1

compare this to the Region 3 Hong Kong edition of the Matrix box set. i woulda settled for this version instead. also, someone was nice enough to make DVD comparisons to the whole trilogy. I can see the difference in the restoration work on the first film but the sequels? not much....just that the box set editions of the sequels looks a tad brighter.

tinlunlau 12-08-04 11:28 PM

http://www.tower3a.com/ut/attach/294...xDVD-embed.JPG

tucker 12-09-04 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by JackBurton
I too, found the Matrix set's packaging to be extremely shitty. I could live with it though, if I were not conviced that this type of disc placement is damaging to the discs. I opened my set last night only to find that the Matrix (1) movie disc was badly scuffed. Of course, I was pissed, that is the most important disc in the set. Other discs also had minor scratches. I took it back to the store (Walmart) and the girl in the electronics section opened another set in front of me to ensure that it was in good shape. But several discs in that set were scratched as well.

In all we opened 3 sets in order to put together a set for me without scratches. Still, one of my discs containing bonus materials is slightly scuffed, But there were no more discs left in better condition to replace it! She said that the sets would have to go back to the distrubutor because they are defective.

If every set at my Walmart contained at least one scratched disc, I highly doubt this is an isolated incident. Anybody else find scratched discs in their set? I'm of the opinion that the set should be recalled until they can give it a decent packaging that can protect the discs.

three of my disc were badly scratched--preorder the set from deepdiscountdvd

Dabaomb 12-09-04 03:51 AM

Mystic River Deluxe Edition (also put out by Warner) is packaged like that as well.

QuiGonJosh 12-09-04 04:25 AM

Yeah I probably would have liked that more...

Also none of my discs were scratched or anything. All in perfect condition.

mattgoble 12-09-04 07:54 AM

What's the best place to get the R3 HK from, cos that looks much better.

Matt

QuiGonJosh 12-09-04 08:14 AM

Let's get some pics of some people with their sets, more specifically the LE set. How are you displaying it? etc.? Pics! I love this set!

tinlunlau 12-09-04 09:40 AM

it's available at www.yesasia.com

if you were in Toronto, you can grab it right away at Pacific Mall and that plaza at Midland & Finch (i suggest Pacific Mall...Midland & Finch is overpriced).

it's ironic how the people in tower3a.com says that they'd rather have the R1 or R3 Korean editions (btw, i heard R1 and R3 Korean sets are exactly the same) and yet, it's the other way around in here.

Big Worms 12-09-04 09:42 AM

I haven't received my set yet, but I was at WalMart and I looked at the set. One thing I noticed was that everything looked squished in there. Almost like it did not fit. I hope that was just there batch.

QuiGonJosh 12-09-04 09:55 AM

no, its not squished or anything.

mattgoble 12-09-04 11:23 AM

Is this the one which comes in Amarays?

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...w/version-all/

Flagged as R3, but doesn't say Korean?

Matt

budster7 12-09-04 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by JackBurton

I ordered from Amazon, and the first disc (Matrix 1) was loose in the case and had several scratches. Somehow the disc is too loose to fit in the case's ring. I tried putting other discs in the same ring and they were also loose. So it seems it's a problem with the case's ring even though it doesn't look broken.

cardaway 12-09-04 01:17 PM

What's on the back of each of the cases?

WAR? 12-09-04 01:38 PM

I received my copy of the regular box set yesterday from the barnes and noble deal, and found both my matrix revisited and matrix revolutions revisited discs hovering around within their cases. One of the plastic grooves that secure the discs in their places had chipped within both cases. Im pretty ticked off, so I sent off an email to warner home video seeking replacements, I'll see if they even respond.