DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   EVERYONE'S buying Gargoyles - Season 1 right? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/399540-everyones-buying-gargoyles-season-1-right.html)

Ravenous 12-07-04 05:45 PM

EVERYONE'S buying Gargoyles - Season 1 right?

I was afraid to say anything about this release with fear I would jinx the release (as I seemed to do with Fire & Ice), but I picked this up today, was a bitch to locate in BB, for $15.99 (w/coupons)!!!! I tested it out and dear god is it beautiful. This was my most absolute favorite cartoon ever! Theres commentary with the creator AND Keith David and some cool extras.

EVERYONE should be buying this release. For family or whatever, to at least show Disney fans are interested in owning their series on DVD. Im getting copies for kid cousins and telling friends who like mythology, fantasy, and all that crazy stuff

"We live again!"

adamblast 12-07-04 05:52 PM

I'm blind-buying it based on a terrific reputation.. and a vague memory of saying "Hey, this looks good" when stumbling on it back in the day...

illennium 12-07-04 06:25 PM

I've got my copy pre-ordered at Amazon. This will be the first non-Pixar Disney title on my shelf. I say that by way of recommendation to those who have outgrown the black/white worldview espoused in most Disney films and other committee-produced, kid-driven entertainment. This series is dark and nuanced and embraces themes that most Disney titles wouldn't touch.

Eric F 12-07-04 06:59 PM

How did you get it for $15.99?

Mike Lowrey 12-07-04 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
I tested it out and dear god is it beautiful.

Well, that does it, you've jinxed me into getting it. ;)

I'll buy it next month. Already got a huge credit card bill this month.

I'm hoping that the series "Mummies Alive" gets released sometime. That's also a series I remember seeing about the same time Gargoyles was airing.

buckee1 12-07-04 09:39 PM

Mine came from amazon today with the rest of my order!

Get Me Coffee 12-07-04 09:43 PM

Going to be picking this up on Thursday at BestBuy ;)

Eric F 12-07-04 10:47 PM

People are selling this for cheap on Half.com. I picked it up for $13.49 shipped. The UPC matched up and the guy has a good rating. I hope it's not a bootleg- shouldn't be.

sailor_moon 12-07-04 11:06 PM

I asked for it for Christmas.

:)

asianxcore 12-08-04 01:16 AM

saw it out early at a store 20 minutes from my house. was priced at 29.99. great great show I will definately pick it up sometime if I can find it cheap enough. how many episodes are on it?

Ravenous 12-08-04 01:21 AM

Theres 13 eps. $30 is alot, but for Gargoyles, Id pay it.

Its at Best buy for $23.99. I used 4 McD coupons and than got 20% (coupon) off that. There was quite a few at BB, so its good to seem em stocked, but I hope they sell out.

I think the picture looks great, and it sounds real good too. Nice Mix. Though I do hate the symbols on the Menu (treasure chest for extra, a square for scenes, etc)

El-Kabong 12-08-04 01:53 AM

Me? No. Darkwing Duck in a hot second, but this I'll rent. I liked the show, but didnt love it enough to buy.

candyrocket786 12-08-04 01:55 AM

Picked mine up in the exchange forum last week.

Need to finish disc 2. I wished the original "featurette" from the VHS movie was included. :(

Bring on the next season!!!!!!

boredsilly 12-08-04 02:30 AM

Yes sire I'll be picking this up. But I want to buy a new tv in the next few weeks, so all dvd's have to wait until I get my new bright and shiny and ditch the clunker.

Fartface 12-08-04 08:18 AM

Gargoyles? The only 'Gargoyles' I ever heard of is a made-for-TV movie, and I've had a copy of that for a long time.

madara 12-08-04 08:26 AM

I tried. My sister told me they never heard of it and didnt have it when she went into BB at lunch time yesterday :(

Mike Lowrey 12-08-04 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fartface
Gargoyles? The only 'Gargoyles' I ever heard of is a made-for-TV movie, and I've had a copy of that for a long time.

Nope. It's an animated series by Disney that ran from 1993-1996. The first season was a short one at only 13 episodes, but the second season was a whopping 52 episodes long. The third, called the "Goliath Chronicles" which wasn't really considered a part of the original two, ran for only 13 as well.

Eric F 12-08-04 11:48 AM

No more cheapies on Half.com, so we know somebody's reading this.;)

Tarantino 12-08-04 12:45 PM

Not interested. Saw it once or twice when I was little, but it's nothing I'd rewatch enough to warrant a purchase.

smirnoffski 12-08-04 12:47 PM

Of course I'll be getting this, but still waiting around for the best price.
Now only of someone would send me some love on this
[email protected]

madara 12-08-04 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Not interested. Saw it once or twice when I was little, but it's nothing I'd rewatch enough to warrant a purchase.

Not toon fan huh? Well as long dont want any other disney product to get box set treatment(ducktales, darkwing, lilo, etc) then I guess that would work.

PopcornTreeCt 12-08-04 01:23 PM

Nah, this cartoon is one of those that goes into the category of outgrown it. Much like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Darkwing Duck and Gummie Bears. Although I'd probably buy Duck Tales if it was released.

Ravenous 12-08-04 02:36 PM

Thats what Im saying... maybe if alot of people support this release, theres more of a chance of seeing DuckTales and any other cartoons they release.

Saw the Awekening eps tonight, damn were they awesome to see. I noticed theyre the original episodes, as in Ep 2 Xanatos says "Pay a man enough money, and he'll walk through hell barefoot" This was origanlly cut from the TV, and other releases.

Michael Corvin 12-08-04 02:46 PM

Never heard of it.

But I loved DuckTales and Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers back in the day.

Fartface 12-08-04 02:49 PM

Give me Looney Tunes any day. I never liked any of the Disney 'shorts'.