DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Do studios hurt themselves when putting out so many good titles on 1 day? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/398862-do-studios-hurt-themselves-when-putting-out-so-many-good-titles-1-day.html)

PopcornTreeCt 12-03-04 11:23 PM

Do studios hurt themselves when putting out so many good titles on 1 day?

In regards to December 14th, studios seem to be pushing some of their best releases all on this day. I plan on picking up a few titles but there are still a couple I'd pick up if they were released at a different date when I had more money. (Mary Poppins)

I suppose this particular day is being pushed for Christmas but there's still Dec. 21st which has a lot less spectacular titles.

sracer 12-03-04 11:29 PM

I'm not one for massive purchases on release dates, but I have to admit this past few weeks have been a "bubble" of releases that I'm interested in. the Seinfeld 1-3, $19,99 deal, $8.88 Day After Tomorrow deal, the release of Luther, all followed closely on the heels of the Halloween deals. And now LOTR Trilogy, Lost In Space Season 2 Vol 2., Star Trek TOS: Season 2. The purchases are queueing up.

But I guess for most collectors, every Tuesday is like that. I'm just not used to it. :)

calhoun07 12-03-04 11:36 PM

I think it hurts the market for some titles, especially when a lot of TV shows are released on the same day. It's one thing when you get $10.00-15.00 DVDs released all at once, but when you get a half dozen to a dozen TV shows you would like to have, and the cheapest might be $25.00, something has got to give. I know it has made me pass up on some titles in the past. I guess there are those releases you REALLY want and must have, then there are those you are interested in, and for me the ones I am interested in, it depends what else comes out that week that determines if I buy it or not. And I usually don't sweat it, because I know I can't watch everything that comes out anyway.

invisiblegt 12-03-04 11:47 PM

Yes, the TV-on-DVD does hurt me quite a bit. I mean, on certain release dates, I can have up to $250 in purchases I'd like to get.

Now, granted, sometimes I will just buy them all, but other times the car payment is due near then, so I can't afford it all.

Choices, choices...

The Cow 12-03-04 11:50 PM

Re: Do studios hurt themselves when putting out so many good titles on 1 day?

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
In regards to December 14th, studios seem to be pushing some of their best releases all on this day. I plan on picking up a few titles but there are still a couple I'd pick up if they were released at a different date when I had more money. (Mary Poppins)

I suppose this particular day is being pushed for Christmas but there's still Dec. 21st which has a lot less spectacular titles.

Plus, "most" people don't want to wait until Dec 21st to buy gifts.

Jericho 12-04-04 12:01 AM

It's all relative. I mean there are weeks where anyone has a bunch of interesting titles. But among the entire public, it tends to even out.

Jackskeleton 12-04-04 12:07 AM

Just live within your means. Just because you spread 3 tv-on-dvd titles to two weeks, doesn't mean I'm anymore willing to spend all that money over a spreaded amount of time than I would on just one day.