DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Saw (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/398667-saw.html)

LorenzoL 12-02-04 06:25 PM

Saw

From DVDAnswers.com

Further Details
Lions Gate has officially announced Saw which stars the likes of Leigh Whannell, Cary Elwes, Danny Glover, Ken Leung and Dina Meyer. The James Wan directed horror flick, will be available to own from the 15th February next year, and should retail at around $26.98. The disc itself will carry both anamorphic widescreen and full screen presentations, along with both English Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 tracks. Extras will include an audio commentary by director James Wan and star/co-writer Leigh Whannell, a 'On The Set' featurette, Fear Factory's "Bite the Hand That Feeds" music video, a featurette on the making of that video and some trailers and TV spots.

Cover image

Rammsteinfan 12-02-04 06:47 PM

guess we will have a double dip on the Unrated one in the future? Well again, its lions gate... who knows. Cant wait to pick this one up. I enjoyed it for low budget horror. I bet they do the Uncut one just before Saw 2 comes out in Oct '05.

bluesparrow 12-02-04 07:18 PM

The director said they cut out literally just seconds of the film to get the R rating. Doubt there'll be a new edition just for under a minute of new footage.

Rammsteinfan 12-02-04 07:21 PM

Oh that was all.. well then I guess its not much of a loss. more gore wont make it a better film. it works the way it is now.

ShagMan 12-02-04 08:19 PM

hmm, is R2 possibly getting a very slightly longer cut, as they did in the theater? Does anyone know what the cuts included?

Sweet packaging!

PopcornTreeCt 12-02-04 11:07 PM

The packaging is awesome. Think I'll pick this up.

RyoHazuki 12-02-04 11:30 PM

Stupid cover. That kind of saw is never even used in the film.

robsul82 12-03-04 01:16 AM

The packaging is awesome. Too bad the circular saw isn't used in the film, but it's kinda hard to cut through something by holding a circular saw in your hand, lol.

Later.

RJS

steebo777 12-03-04 07:24 AM

Great packaging. Damn fine film to boot :thumbsup:

Geofferson 12-03-04 08:11 AM

Sounds like a superb DVD - great cover too! :up:

roger_d 12-03-04 08:41 AM

I definitely don't like that cover.

Big Worms 12-03-04 08:44 AM

Nice cover!

cajun_junky 12-03-04 09:27 AM

I missed this at the theaters and can't wait for the dvd release. Great news that they are including a DTS track. Nice cover too!

Zodiac_Speaking 12-03-04 09:31 AM

I enjoy any horror, especially low-budget horror, but I felt rather dissapointed in this. I'm glad Loins Gate delivers us some selection other than mainstream horror, but I'll pass and buy their Open Water, which I loved.

Firon 12-03-04 01:08 PM

I'm on the fence about purchasing this. The premise of the film is superb. The performances (and some of the hammy dialogue), unfortunately, were not. That packaging is pretty sweet though, and I'm always a sucker for a DTS track.

Giles 12-03-04 01:28 PM

From what I had read the Toronto Internatinal Film Festival print was an uncut version of the film.

robsul82 12-03-04 02:03 PM

LOVED <b>Saw</b>, thought Cary Elwes did a fine job. The guy's mind is broken to the point that he'd do absolutely ANYTHING to save his family, and people criticize him for overacting that point? Damn! lol

Later.

RJS

Dan1boy 12-03-04 02:06 PM

Loved the movie as well. Will definitely pick it up or rent just to hear the commentary. Glad it enjoyed box office success too...well deserved.

Julie Walker 12-03-04 02:11 PM

This is still playing in a couple theaters. I may try to check it out sometime.

On the cuts,actually 2 minutes it appears was cut from the film. Since the U.K version which was uncut,runs two minutes longer.

Basically the more graphic violence was cut from the film. So you get less blood flowing from a wound,less views of a limb being severed and so forth.

So it hardly appears like 'minor' cuts in my opinion. Since while not a nonstop gorefest or anything. The few gruesome moments in the film are now less explicit than they originally were.

Hell Lions Gate released the heavily censored R version of Return of the Living Dead 3 on dvd. Despite being only a 1 minute difference between the two. The cuts are many, drastic,sloppy,obvious and hurt the impact of many sequences.

So if it were only 2 seconds of footage total. Then yes,that is 'minor'. But when it amounts to more than 2 seconds. It starts to add up in length. Remember,violence and gore only last a few seconds. The more you cut out of a scene,the less impact it has in the long run.

Anyway we'll have to see for ourselvse if the cuts hurt the sequences or not. Since it appears an uncensored version is not being released anytime soon.

mzupeman2 12-03-04 02:35 PM

The movie was pretty decent, although not as good as I expected. But none the less, it was still a damn decent film. I'll be getting this for sure, and I don't think the artwork is too shabby either. Maybe a little too mainstream looking for a movie that was originally just a low budget horror film.

Julie Walker 12-03-04 02:51 PM

While I would prefer the uncut poster art with the full severed limb view. I do not think this cover is 'mainstream' looking. Mainstream looking would be one or more giant heads on the 'poster'.

Romerojpg 12-03-04 03:15 PM

I read even the UK was pre cut to get a rating over here in UK, and it looked cut in parts too, so I expect the UK and america versions to be cut in some way and an Unrated version will be bloodier than both in the future, but how long do we wait :(

tonyc3742 12-06-04 02:07 PM

Pretty cool packaging. Haven't seen it, but interested now.
I guess the circular saw is merely to keep the 'saw' theme going on the disk itself, and most people will still think 'Oh, it's a saw.'

hojo 12-06-04 02:33 PM

sweet that it has DTS..but that cover looks rather amateur.