Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

School Daze 2-Disc SE on 2/1/05

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
School Daze 2-Disc SE on 2/1/05

I did a search and didn't see this mentioned.

DVD Answer's Info on School Daze 2-Disc SE

Title: School Daze
Starring: Laurence Fishburne
Released: 1st February 2005
SRP: $19.94

Further Details
Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment has also announced plans to release a two-disc special edition of the Spike Lee directed comedy School Daze which stars Laurence Fishburne, Giancarlo Esposito, Ossie Davis and Kadeem Hardison. The disc will be available alongside She Hate Me, from the 1st February next year. The retail price should be set at around $19.94. Extras will include an audio Commentary with Tisha Campbell, Rusty Cundieff, Bill Nunn, Darryl Bell and Kadeem Hardison, a second commentary with Director Spike Lee, three featurettes and three music videos. The second disc will house the original full-length motion picture soundtrack. We've attached the official region one package artwork below:
Old 11-24-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting.
Old 11-24-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got mine free when I purchased the Mo Bettuh Butter Dispenser from Spike's store.

The extras look good.. may be worth a purchase.
Old 11-24-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

One of my favorite "Spiek Lee Joints"! Definately picking this one up! BassDude, I forgot all about Spike's store in NY! Was it in Queens?
Old 11-24-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SONOVABITCH! I just bought the barebones last week for 9.99
Old 11-24-04, 09:03 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
The real sadness isn't just that you bought the barebones version, but that you paid $10 for it when Wal-Mart has it for $6.
Old 11-25-04, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
I'm disappointed reading the specs, I was hoping for somekind of behind-the-scenes documentary like the Do The Right Thing one.

The old copy of School Daze had Spike Lee doing a commentary, so I assume that is the same one on this. I don't like the word 'featurette', as they often wind up being EPK kinds of things, or just three minutes of interviews with people spaced between fifteen minutes worth of clips from the movie.

Sounds like the only substantial new extra is the cast commentary.

I can't remember, does the old release have music videos on it as well? I seem to remember at least one.
Old 11-25-04, 09:48 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
The old release does NOT have any music videos, but I notice BET has been showing the crap out of the old "Da Butt" video recently...for what reason, I'm not sure...
Old 11-25-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's good to see some of Spike's first works being prepped for special editions. I've seen this a couple of times on broadcast TV and really enjoyed it. I'll plan to purchase it, these prices are definitely reasonable.
Old 01-27-05, 11:35 AM
Banned

Has anyone come across any clarification as to whether the Spike Lee commentary is, in fact, the same one on the old bare-bones release of SCHOOL DAZE, or if it is a newly recorded one?
Old 01-27-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
BET has been showing the crap out of the old "Da Butt" video recently...for what reason, I'm not sure...
Maybe "E.U." has an upcoming DVD in the works as well?
Old 02-02-05, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Has anyone come across any clarification as to whether the Spike Lee commentary is, in fact, the same one on the old bare-bones release of SCHOOL DAZE, or if it is a newly recorded one?
Just to follow up on my own question in case anyone shares it now or later, YES, the commentary track is identical so (unless you want to keep the trailers for John Singleton's films found in the "Bonus Trailers" section or *gasp* desire a pan-and-scan version of the film) there's no reason to keep the old disc...