Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

PRIMER: Great new film that will make...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a perfect DVD! This sci-fi film is an independent release that has been compared to 2001. I saw it last weekend with friends. Even though we believe we understand the story and find it quite compelling, a DVD with commentaries would make the picture complete - no pun intended. Since the film is currently in limited release I'm wondering if anyone here has had a chance to see it and what they might be thinking of the plot and DVD possibilities for clarification.
Old 11-16-04, 12:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
all this movie did was confuse me, thankfully it was only about 80 minutes, I would be very interested in knowing more about the film when the DVD is released.
Old 11-16-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The movie was intriguing, but needlessly confusing. Not confusing in that the concept was too complicated, but confusing in that the filmmakers did not provide enough information for the viewer to understand what was happening.

I didn't dislike the movie, but when I left the theater I doubt there was anyone in the audience who followed the last half hour or so. And I saw it in a movie theater that was right next to M.I.T.
Old 11-16-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Time travel...

movies are always a mess. This is especially true if the writer/director tries to create a convincing story. The audience in our theater seemed to "get" the film overall. However, there were a few comments from confused moviegoers. When we left the theater the first thing that came to my mind was a DVD release that would explain a couple scenes.
Old 11-16-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
What the movie needs is about 15 more minutes of extra footage to help clarify some of the plot points. The whole part about the party and "reverse engineering the perfect moment" just didn't come together at all. Unfortunately, I'm sure they ran out of money and what you see in the movie is everything they shot.
Old 11-17-04, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm hoping to get this on DVD to watch again. There's a lot to follow, but I think I got it, and if I am right about my analysis, this is a pretty awesome film with an effect similar to Memento. But a comparison to 2001? Please! Not even close.
Old 11-17-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
What the movie needs is about 15 more minutes of extra footage to help clarify some of the plot points. The whole part about the party and "reverse engineering the perfect moment" just didn't come together at all.
Bingo! Unlike a movie like PI, where the ideas are so complex that you can't quite grasp them all in one viewing, PRIMER is puzzling because the filmmaker does not give you enough info to understand it.

Still, I liked PRIMER a lot and I can't wait to see it again on DVD.
Old 11-18-04, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by slowcloud
But a comparison to 2001? Please! Not even close.
If I had to guess, the comparisons are being made because both films feature scenes where the characters are looking at another version of themselves through some sort of time-dialation/paralell-universe thingy...

...uh, no, I didn't understand Primer, either. The DVD should be enlightening.