Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

You know what we need? Another Army of Darkness Directors Cut DVD...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

You know what we need? Another Army of Darkness Directors Cut DVD...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by MrPink
How does the R3 cut compare to the version that the Sci-Fi channel shows?
The one Sci-fi channel shows is the International Cut (which isn't on DVD anywhere) with the US ending.

They're similar, however they have differences. Besides the ending, the Sci-Fi cut has the scene where Ash knocks Arthur off his horse, which isn't in the DC edit. The Sci-Fi cut also includes the scene with Ash leaving the windmill to get his horse, which isn't in the DC. Finally, Henry the Red enters the final battle much sooner in the Sc-Fi cut than in the DC.

Those are the changes I can remember off the top of my head.
Old 01-19-05, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoa! I had no idea that such a cut exsisted! I wonder why Sci-Fi would do that?
Old 01-19-05, 02:54 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

if anyone's interested, cd wow has the R3 version on sale for $14.95 shipped after coupon. see >>this
Old 01-19-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I for one, will not spend any more money on this film. I've purchased three releases so far. That bootleg directors cut, the regular version, and the boomstick edition. I'll be damned if they get any more of my money for this movie. I love Army Of Darkness, but unless they give me some GOOD packaging the next time around that blows my socks off I won't be quad-dipping.
Old 01-19-05, 06:42 PM
Cool New Member

Wow would be nice, but....i brought my AoD VHS with the original ending (Ash in destroyed London) for 130$ at that time....i definitly dont spend more on this film even though i love it.

But you to know, this is a platinum-gold-treasure-diamond edition because its multilangual with these lovely japanese hiroglyphics underneath .

greetings
Mario

Last edited by Mario83721; 01-19-05 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-19-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The one Sci-fi channel shows is the International Cut (which isn't on DVD anywhere) with the US ending.

They're similar, however they have differences. Besides the ending, the Sci-Fi cut has the scene where Ash knocks Arthur off his horse, which isn't in the DC edit. The Sci-Fi cut also includes the scene with Ash leaving the windmill to get his horse, which isn't in the DC. Finally, Henry the Red enters the final battle much sooner in the Sc-Fi cut than in the DC.

Those are the changes I can remember off the top of my head.
Wow that would be the perfect one for me - I love the extra director's cut material, but don't like the ending nearly as much. Shop smart - shop S-Mart!

Hope that gets a DVD release someday (it's bound to happen around release #7).
Old 01-19-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
I am waiting for the definitive edition.

if and whenever it comes
Old 01-19-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had/have a crush on the actress that played Sheila so I wouldn't mind seeing that and a CORRECTLY framed,better looking/sounding version,maybe with option to view Deleted Scenes in. Come on Anchor Bay give the version the Hardcore Fans deserve! Army of Darkness:Ultimate Edition,w/ Theatrical,Director's Cut,Extended Edition,that featurette that showed up on the computer,the Making The Army Feature,Old Commentary,New Commentary. I would KILL for that......
Old 01-19-05, 09:17 PM

[QUOTE=kid apathetic]if anyone's interested, cd wow has the R3 version on sale for $14.95 shipped after coupon. see >>this
Old 01-19-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Throw in a Bruce Campbell in character as Ash in and you got a Kick-Ass MoneyMaking DVD on your hands. Come on Anchor Bay,September a AOD:UE 4 Disc Set. That would kick my ass all over.
Old 01-19-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
Whoa! I had no idea that such a cut exsisted! I wonder why Sci-Fi would do that?
Well, like I said, it was largely the International Cut, which was the longest cut available up until Anchor Bay produced the Original Director's Cut. when they first aired it they touted it as an extended version of the film which hadn't been seen in the US. At first I thought they might use the alternate ending as well, which was used on the International Cut, but they spliced in the US ending instead.

Mario: What you got on VHS is definately a copy of the Japanese VHS or LD release. This is the most common copy of the International Cut available.

As for which ending is better, they both have their merits. A perfect release would contain all the different cuts, as well as an option to assemble your own cut, either including or excluding certain scenes.
Old 01-20-05, 02:29 AM

I once did a side-by-side comparison of the 2 versions.
The only things extra in the Sci-Fi version (other than the S-Mart ending) are the 2 you mention.

The first is an extended scene of when Ash gets captured by Arthur, including Ash saying "I wasn't lookin' for no trouble" and "I don't like being suckerpunched!"

The second is a rather boring, but complete scene when Ash goes out of the windmill to check on his horse, then gets tricked to run back into the windmill, smashing the mirror.

Henry the Red comes right after Arthur decapitates the climbing skeleton.

All other differences, the Director's Cut has more (like extra seconds here and there, 2 extra punches to the face in the pit, extra splashes of black blood, more fighting with little Ash's, bad Ash, more swordfighting up wall, etc)
Old 01-20-05, 06:34 AM
Cool New Member

Mario: What you got on VHS is definately a copy of the Japanese VHS or LD release. This is the most common copy of the International Cut available.
Your arnīt really fond of making new friends do you -only joking-.
So why is that?

greetings
Mario
Old 01-20-05, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

screw that, just give us an evil dead boxset with remastered video/sound with special Boom Stick carrying case
Old 01-20-05, 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I for one, will not spend any more money on this film. I've purchased three releases so far. That bootleg directors cut, the regular version, and the boomstick edition. I'll be damned if they get any more of my money for this movie. I love Army Of Darkness, but unless they give me some GOOD packaging the next time around that blows my socks off I won't be quad-dipping.
Well that's your fault for buying the same discs twice, do you even bother reading the back of the package?

Originally Posted by glassdragon
screw that, just give us an evil dead boxset with remastered video/sound with special Boom Stick carrying case
I like the way you think!

We need to start a petition.