DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Rock: To Criterion or to Not Get Criterion? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/395780-rock-criterion-not-get-criterion.html)

Megalion 11-14-04 04:22 AM

The Rock: (question was answered)

I want to get this movie and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra money to buy the criterion.

Obviously the answer would be Criterion!

<b>EXCEPT</b> that unless the extras are captioned/subtitled... is it really worth it after all for a deaf person?

Would appreciate honest answers. Is there anything in the extras that is worth having even if I couldn't understand the words?

I.e. the recent trend of fact trivia tracks has been a godsend for me. Or sometimes extras ARE captioned (THANKS PARAMOUNT!! YOU ROCK!!)....

eau 11-14-04 04:41 AM

Get the Rock Criterion. It is a 2-disc set with tons of extras and it's anamorphic! Especially with the 20% off at DDD, it's no brainer ;)

Megalion 11-14-04 04:50 AM

that kind of answer does NOT help me...

are there any extras that are subtitled?? or are otherwise worthwhile to a deaf person?

blessthemess 11-14-04 07:11 AM

Do you like THE ROCK THAAAAAAT much?
Is it worth paying the OOP -OTT- price?

Jason 11-14-04 08:22 AM

I don't have it, but I seriously doubt that the extras on the criterion would have subtitles/closed captioning.

ftsoh 11-14-04 08:54 AM

Criterion never ever subtiltled nor close captioned supplemental material, unless it's in foreign language. Therefore, The Rock only has the feature subtitled. So you can forget about it and just get the regular version.

I always do wish studios can at least close captioned supplemental materials but all the requests seem fell into deaf ears (pun intended).

Megalion 11-14-04 08:57 AM

thanks ftsoh... that's what I suspected...

I knew Criterion hadn't done it on their earlier stuff but I haven't been keeping as close tabs in the past year or so.

Romerojpg 11-14-04 09:06 AM

Couldnt you still enjoy the special features?
there's plenty of fun things in the dvd yes they may not be subtitled, but I guess they will still be watchable and fun for you.

I watch extras on asian dvds and they have no subtitles at all and I still watch and find a lot to enjoy. :)

Hokeyboy 11-14-04 09:15 AM

Criterion's The Rock ain't OOP.

Megalion 11-14-04 09:17 AM

i could but at this point I'm tired of inaccessible dvd extras and at the point where i'll be damned if I reward Criterion with my money without anything decent to show for it.

esp since I can and will be buying several other dvds with the difference!

Again thanks all.

Tarantino 11-14-04 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Criterion's The Rock ain't OOP.
That's what I was thinking.

Brain Stew 11-14-04 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Megalion
i could but at this point I'm tired of inaccessible dvd extras and at the point where i'll be damned if I reward Criterion with my money without anything decent to show for it.
I don't think I'd put it that way. The Rock CC transfer is still incredible.

steebo777 11-14-04 08:37 PM

The Rock: CC rocks my world :hump:

PopcornTreeCt 11-14-04 08:44 PM

Extras that aren't subtitled or no extras at all? Decisions, decisions.

tinlunlau 11-15-04 06:02 PM

the extras on the criterion were ridiculous. esp. that video about handling guns.

Artman 11-15-04 06:32 PM

Originally posted by tinlunlau
the extras on the criterion were ridiculous. esp. that video about handling guns.
Watching Ed Harris come unglued on the set is a sight to see. I watched it again last night.

Fok 11-15-04 06:37 PM

I'd still pick up the CC.....if you smell what I'm cookin!

groovrbaby 11-15-04 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Artman
Watching Ed Harris come unglued on the set is a sight to see. I watched it again last night.
Watching Ed Harris freak out like that was creepy. I watched Radio after watching that....I kept thinking Harris was gonna abuse poor Radio.

bjh_18 11-15-04 07:48 PM

Originally posted by Brain Stew
The Rock CC transfer is still incredible.
Yeah, and anamorphic (unlike the regular release, if I recall correctly. That's the main reason why I picked up the Criterion release. I don't even have a widescreen tv (besides my computer moniter/tv), but I know I will have.

Sonic 11-15-04 08:17 PM

The regular Rock version (Miramax) SUCKS. It has poor image quality compared to the Criterion version! Do you want widescreen or you want widescreen with gray bars? Criterion baby!

-ant

digitalfreaknyc 11-15-04 08:42 PM

Just an FYI...the only release where the DTS track is actually WORSE than the DD 5.1.

DonnachaOne 11-15-04 08:47 PM

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Just an FYI...the only release where the DTS track is actually WORSE than the DD 5.1.
I don't need dts to hear the crystal-clear sound of that can of worms being opened...

Sonic 11-15-04 09:28 PM

I agree...the DTS track on the Criterion is mediocre.

-ant

nightmaster 11-15-04 10:39 PM

Megalion, if you are a member of the Blockbuster online rental service you could rent it and decide for yourself if it's worth it to you to buy. I will give BB credit for one thing, they seem to be good about carrying different versions of titles that have been re-released.

Tarantino 11-16-04 12:34 AM

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
FYI...the guy's deaf. I don't think he gives a shit about DTS.