Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

ST First Contact CE - 3/15

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
This very well could be the last Star Trek film I ever buy. The only thing Trek I'll need after that is TAS.
Old 11-12-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Altimus Prime
And YES, I will also BUY a new CE/SE of Insurrection. I like that movie.
Me too. Actually, Insurrection is my favorite of the (mostly-mediocre) TNG movies. It was the closest to the feel of the show, and had the tightest writing.

The others are fun enough, too, I suppose. I'll grab all of the CEs. As long as it isn't Voyager or Enterprise, I'm pretty much a ST whore.
Old 11-12-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
I liked Insurrection better than First Contact.

I didn't like the schizophrenic feel of First Contact - Dark, moody, extremely serious up on the Enterprise, but tongue in cheek humorous down on Earth. And they destroyed the characterization of Zefram Cochran from TOS and came up with a completely different character with the same name. Hell, with the way they wrote the character in First Contact it stretched credibility to think that he even bothered to build the first warp drive - it even stretched credibility to think that that guy could even come up with the idea and design a warp drive!

First Contact was OK, but I thought Insurrection was much better because the characterization was better handled.

I'm not sure if I'll double dip on any more Trek movies. I might get Insurrection, but I don't think I'll get the CE/SE of First Contact.
Old 11-12-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I like Insurrection quite a lot -- it's definitely better than Generations. First Contact is the best of the TNG Trek films of course, but Insurrection to me captured the tone of the tv series best, the relationships between the crew members, etc. It may be "slower" but I dig it.
Old 11-12-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
last one I will buy since I already have Nemesis and don't plan on double dipping.
Old 11-12-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nemesis is gonna have to have alot on it for me to Double Dip... maybe the so called 2 1/2 hour or longer cut of the film?
Old 11-12-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
Nemesis is gonna have to have alot on it for me to Double Dip... maybe the so called 2 1/2 hour or longer cut of the film?
That would be a great added feature, if it exists and if they'll include it.
Old 11-12-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Im sure it must exist in some form. The director said the finished product was like 2 1/2 hours before they trimmed it down. *shrug* I would like to see it available at some point or at least all those deleted scenes included since the standard version doesnt have that much.
Old 11-12-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didnt look this up before but here at IMDB http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0253754/alternateversions they show that 50 mins was cut out. It lists alot of the scenes that are stated as FULLY PRODUCED but CUT... so thats hopefuly if they were to include it. You hear us Paramount??
Old 11-13-04, 03:26 AM

A definite must buy!!! The only good TNG cast film!!! This one will be my last of the STAR TREK rebuys!!! I'm hoping for DTS too!!!
Old 11-13-04, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
I didnt look this up before but here at IMDB http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0253754/alternateversions they show that 50 mins was cut out. It lists alot of the scenes that are stated as FULLY PRODUCED but CUT... so thats hopefuly if they were to include it. You hear us Paramount??
OK, I may have been a "little" interested in an extended cut before but, after reading the info @ IMDB, I gotta see all these FUlly Produced scenes. If this is a 2-discer Disc one should bear this longer cut and disc two should reflect the usual extras. Here's to hoping!
Old 11-13-04, 05:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
You do know that they'll release it then realize they added something on the back of the box that isn't on the DVD then recall it for a month...

Good news anyway
Old 11-13-04, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by The Monkees
You do know that they'll release it then realize they added something on the back of the box that isn't on the DVD then recall it for a month...

Good news anyway
And for those times, there's always Wal-Mart!
Old 11-13-04, 08:02 PM
Banned

I'm getting all of the remaining 3 CEs, since I don't have any of the original releases. I held off on the initial Nemesis because it wasn't the CE when they were already in the middle of the CE releases.

I'm hoping that the CE of Nemesis will be a DE like I and II were.
Old 11-13-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a little sad that this will be my last ever Star Trek DVD purchase. Only a super-duper SE of Nemesis would get me to buy that again.

Here's hoping for a DTS track. And hopefully, Paramount won't mess with the video transfer like they did with Generations SE.
Old 11-13-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've bought all seven of the previous Star Trek Special Editions, and I'm looking forward to First Contact, so there's really no way I can avoid buying Insurrection. I don't really hate Insurrection, it just wasn't that exciting. Nemesis was the same, although if they release a 2-Discer, I'd buy that too. I'd really like to have that extended version though, I'd buy that one ever faster.
Old 11-14-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll get INSURRECTION and NEMESIS just to complete my set. Luckily I never bought the Star Trek movies until these newer releases have come out.
Old 11-14-04, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Defiant1
And hopefully, Paramount won't mess with the video transfer like they did with Generations SE.
Ok, I'll bite, what's wrong with the Generations SE video transfer?
Old 11-14-04, 06:42 PM

double dip for me
Old 11-14-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dumped my STTNG Movie Set back in July so this can't come soon enough
Old 11-14-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by buckee1
Ok, I'll bite, what's wrong with the Generations SE video transfer?
Some call it edge enhancement, others call it anti-aliasing but the fact is is that Data's face shimmers and shifts like crazy throughout the movie, as do other metallic surfaces and objects.
Old 11-14-04, 08:40 PM

I did notice Data's face but nothing else. What I did see though wasn't terribly distracting.
Old 11-14-04, 09:09 PM
Cool New Member

This would be a great disc to include a tribute to Jerry Goldsmith.

Neil
Old 11-17-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
I would love to see the "alternate" ending edited back in to Nemesis. I thought it was a much better ending than what was used in the theatrical version.

I'd buy the CE for Nemesis if they did that (and added other previously cut footage), but it it's the same theatrical version I won't even consider it.
Old 11-17-04, 05:02 PM

I am definitely getting this CE. I have been holding off on upgrading since Paramount started with the CE's, because I have a widescreen VHS of First Contact which is still in decent shape (just watched it last week). It will be nice to have the superior picture quality and all the extra goodies.

I'll also get Insurrection when it comes out...I am among those who enjoyed that film. Even if it was a glorified episode, it had one of the strongest social messages of any Trek film. For me it reminded me of one of America's past sins, the forced relocation of the Cherokee Indians during the 19th century.

Last edited by WhFastus; 11-17-04 at 05:05 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.