DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Saved by the Bell: The New Class S1 --> 1/25

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saved by the Bell: The New Class S1 --> 1/25

Straight from source www.tvshowsondvd.com

In the Spring of 1993 the original Saved By The Bell gang graduated, and Zack, Kelly, Slater, Jessie, Lisa, and Screech left Bayside High. The boys would immediately head in the Fall of 1993 to "California University", where they were quickly joined by Kelly in Saved By The Bell: The College Years - the only season of which is already on DVD.

At the same time as The College Years hit, Engle Productions also debuted a continuation of the adventures at Bayside High. Keeping Dennis Haskin's terrific character of Principal Belding at the helm, Saved By The Bell: The New Class was also premiered in Sept. '93, introducing new students (that would rotate in future seasons) and last 7 years...longer than the original version! The new show was helped further in the 2nd season, when Screech (Dustin Diamond) came back to Bayside as Belding's "Administrative Assistant" (following the cancellation of The College Years).

Image Entertainment, who released the DVD set for The College Years (but not any of the other Bell releases), has announced that January 25th will see the release of Saved By The Bell: The New Class - Season 1, a 390-minute set with all 13 episodes from the freshman year. Here's the synopsis Image sent out:

The adventures and the laughs never end at Bayside High, Southern California's coolest school. Now Tommy "D," Megan, Lindsay, Weasel, Vicki and Scott are roaming the halls, trying to get through each day under the watchful eye of Principal Belding, concocting wild schemes, looking for love and having as much fun as they can. In this complete first season of 13 episodes, sweet-talking schemer Scott tries to sneak into the girls' sleepover; dorky Weasel becomes radio's "Dr. Love"; Tommy D must earn an A to get a car; the girls battle for a single spot on the cheerleading squad and much, much more!

Episodes include: The Date Lottery, The Slumber Party, A Kicking Weasel, Home Shopping, Love Is on the Air, George Washington Kissed Here, Homecoming King, Belding's Baby, Good-Bye Megan, Swap Meet, Weasel Love, Tommy A, Running the Max.

Full-Frame video is accompanied by English Stereo sound. There are no extras announced for this compilation. $24.99 is the list price. Image has made the disc count rather confusing, because their info clearly says it's a "3-Disc Set", but the box art they provided clearly shows it to be a 2-DVD release. See for yourself:

Will definately be picking this up. The bargain price is a nice little bonus as well (even if it is only 13 eps). Good stuff!
Old 11-11-04, 12:16 PM
Banned

NO NO NO. They haven't even completed doing the Original Saved by the Bell(what the heck happened to Season 4...you know the one with Tori). Also, they still haven't done "Saved by the Bell: The Junior High Years(aka.."Good Morning, Miss Bliss"). Also, they still haven't put out "Saved by the Bell..Hawaiian Style" and "Wedding in Las Vegas"(which would have been nice to have on the college disc).

I'm not interested in the new cast!!!!
Old 11-11-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dalvin
NO NO NO. They haven't even completed doing the Original Saved by the Bell(what the heck happened to Season 4...you know the one with Tori). Also, they still haven't done "Saved by the Bell: The Junior High Years(aka.."Good Morning, Miss Bliss"). Also, they still haven't put out "Saved by the Bell..Hawaiian Style" and "Wedding in Las Vegas"(which would have been nice to have on the college disc).

I'm not interested in the new cast!!!!
Well, you are talking abut two different license holders, so the schedule will not match or make any sense, really. Lions Gate owns the original series, and will be putting out the remaining episodes (calling it Season 5) in summer of 2005, according to tvshowsondvd.com). No word on GMMB, though. Wedding in Las Vegas was the "finale" to SBBT TCY. TCY series was put out by Image (the same people that are putting out The New Class in January), but mysterioualy didn't include Wedding in Las Vegas. I don't know who owns the license to that one.
Old 11-11-04, 01:56 PM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
Wedding in Las Vegas was the "finale" to SBBT TCY. TCY series was put out by Image (the same people that are putting out The New Class in January), but mysterioualy didn't include Wedding in Las Vegas. I don't know who owns the license to that one.
I beleive that Lion's Gate holds the rights to both Hawaiian Style and Wedding in Vegas.
Old 11-11-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Well since they combined 1&2 and 3&4 maybe they will release the last one and the two movies together.
Old 11-11-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts
All right, I can't wait to see the guy who acts like Zach and the girl who acts like Kelly and the guy who looks like screech and...
Old 11-11-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only 1 episode of this season I like and that is when the "Screech" type character Weasel has to dress up as a sheik to impress one of the girls fathers that their school is rich or some shit!

"A thousand hello's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Good stuff.
Old 11-11-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GoldenJCJ
All right, I can't wait to see the guy who acts like Zach and the girl who acts like Kelly and the guy who looks like screech and...
The "Zach-like" character only lasted a couple of episodes. The changed "Zach's" so to speak.
Old 11-11-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lions Gate is releasing Season 5 (plus TV movies) come July 2005.

Image Entertainment owns the other SBTB properties, Im guessing.
Old 11-11-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kept telling myself I would never get the New Class if it came out on DVD. Now that I see it's coming out, I can't wait to get it. I still need to pick up the College Years.
Old 11-11-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I, too, am not a real fan of the New Class, but will give it a try anyway. Besides, at the very minimum, it will be worth it for Dennis Haskins alone (the best in the franchise IMO).

The College Years, even without Haskins, is good entertainment, and definately worth getting for any SBTB fan.

Hoping that the others comments about the TV movies being included on the S5 Lions Gate release next year holds true. I have never seen the Wedding in LV episode, and have always wanted to check out the true "finale" of the series.
Old 11-11-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 11-11-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
The "Zach-like" character only lasted a couple of episodes. The changed "Zach's" so to speak.
I recall a couple of different Zacks. The first guy, some Swiss guy, another guy from Valley... and so on. That show definitely defined "rotating cast".

Most of the novelty of the original SBTB was that it was a live-action show on Saturday mornings, and was pushed more towards middle-school aged kids. Seems like they were pushing it well beyond its shelf life with the New Class.
Old 11-11-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reasons why to buy The New Class on DVD:

1. Despite what anybody tells you, the first season was the best. When the show knew it was a Saved by the Bell knock off made it just so much better. When the other seasons tried to move away from the comedy and more towards the seriousness, the show started to suffer. You know it's a bad sign when the only two people providing comic relief on the show are fuckin' Screech and Principal Belding. Sadly, the same thing happened to California Dreams (good first two seasons, terrible last three seasons).
2. There were many more hot women on the spin-off than the original.
3. Half of the second (or third) season took place at a beach resort (similar to the original SBTB) meaning those hot women in swimsuits.
4. If you love shitty teenage angst sitcoms, like myself, you'll enjoy it.