New Kubrick DVD set being released?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Kubrick DVD set being released?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really couldn't care less about cases and covers.
I work at Best Buy 2 nites a week, I get a discount, I pay $50 for 5 movies from my favorite (well, maybe 2nd favorite) director ever, 16x9 versions.
No brainer.
So I just got done watching EWS and if you're someone thinking about buying it for the "unrated" material you can pass. Basically just more nudity as mentioned above.

And a question for you HD/Blu Ray peeps (and this has nothing to do with EWS exactly):
We wanna see movies at home as good as they looked in the theatre, right?
So why would you wanna watch an HD version of an old flick?
I.e. why would you wanna see a movie "better" than it looked in the theatre?
I mean if we're gonna be purists we wouldn't want HD, right?? Since it didn't look that good in the theatre anyway?
Old 10-24-07, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RD1973
Finally, can anyone post pictures of all 6 covers in the boxset. Just curious to compare.

Unfortunately, I can't post the Shining cover but it should just be a door with Redrum written on it.

EDIT: Heres another view with the spines and the back (that shows the door for The Shining:

Last edited by DarthMarino; 10-24-07 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-24-07, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I canceled my order with Amazon. If the packaging is really that flimsy, I'd rather buy it in a store, and then it's easier to exchange if there's a problem. Assuming I can find it anywhere. And if I still want to buy it with with the crappy box and the insipid covers.

Warner really seems to have screwed this one up.

I also notice that, except for DVDBeaver, there haven't been any reviews of the set or the individual titles. For such a major release, you'd think Warned would send out some review copies.
Old 10-24-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lol nice covers

Anyone pick up Barry Lyndon? Is it the same disc as before?

Also what is the aspect ratio of the Life in Pictures doc?
Old 10-24-07, 09:53 AM
Suspended

wow, that artwork stinks.

didn't even think about the box set.

Bought full metal jacket Blu-ray, will probably get the Shining , could care less about the other 3 films.

FMJ, lolita, the Killing, killer's kiss, and shining are all great, the other films are just overrated.
Old 10-24-07, 09:55 AM
Banned

Has ANYONE seen the Kubrick set at any store besides Best Buy? It appears no online stores got them (not sure about DDD). No madness on Ebay....yet.
Old 10-24-07, 10:18 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Um, I like the new covers. I had no problem with the others, but don't really prefer one over the other. I ecspecially like the 2001 and The Shining
Old 10-24-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was a bit concerned that we'd be getting different artwork in the box set, but I didn't think we'd be getting something THAT bad.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JLBkret
Has ANYONE seen the Kubrick set at any store besides Best Buy? It appears no online stores got them (not sure about DDD). No madness on Ebay....yet.
BJ's for $50

I liked the 2001 cover but i got stuck with the crappy box set cover. As far as locating the box set...only place i've seen it was @ best buy. They didn't have many copies left.
Old 10-24-07, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
BJ's for $50
BJ's is only East Coast correct?
Old 10-24-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DarthMarino

Unfortunately, I can't post the Shining cover but it should just be a door with Redrum written on it.
Thin card stock for the box and unattractive slipcovers than if one were to buy the titles individually. While it is the movies that count, from an esthetic standpoint, Warner dropped the ball on this set. The 2001 slipcover for the individual release is beautiful.

For me at least, the differences in the slipcovers (and the quality of the HD transfers versus SD) makes it a bit harder to decide whether I want to buy the set, or to buy individual titles, let alone the HD or Blu Ray versions.

I sense that if you want the boxset, Best Buy may be your best bet; otherwise, one may want to wait for a certain 20% off sale.
Old 10-24-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Chill Pill
And a question for you HD/Blu Ray peeps (and this has nothing to do with EWS exactly):
I mean if we're gonna be purists we wouldn't want HD, right?? Since it didn't look that good in the theatre anyway?
Wow - your ignorance shouldn't surprise me since you work at Best Buy, but still, wow.

Do you realize that film (how these movies originally looked in the theater) is a much higher "resolution" than any HD/Blu Ray transfer? You can project film on a much much bigger screen and it would look way better than a projected 1080p transfer would look.

Not to mention, 2001 was shot on 70mm film-stock, which looked better in the theater when it first came out than pretty much any "new" movie coming out now.

Last edited by slop101; 10-24-07 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-24-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by tofferman
Thin card stock for the box and unattractive slipcovers than if one were to buy the titles individually. While it is the movies that count, from an esthetic standpoint, Warner dropped the ball on this set. The 2001 slipcover for the individual release is beautiful.

For me at least, the differences in the slipcovers (and the quality of the HD transfers versus SD) makes it a bit harder to decide whether I want to buy the set, or to buy individual titles, let alone the HD or Blu Ray versions.

I sense that if you want the boxset, Best Buy may be your best bet; otherwise, one may want to wait for a certain 20% off sale.
Yea, I already sold off The Shining and A Clockwork Orange in anticipation of this set, but I'm tempted to cancel my family video order. I don't think that the covers are TERRIBLY, but I think that we all were hoping (and most expected) the artwork for the original releases.
Old 10-24-07, 11:29 AM

BJ's for $50
Ummm...

Nah, too easy.
Old 10-24-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm hoping my friend buys the releases individually and I'll be able to trade him covers.

I like the 2001 cover in the box (I like both versions) and FMJ is of course basically the same cover we've had forever, but Clockwork and EWS suck.

I am not sure if I would have preferred thinpaks. Probably not, but the Exorcist box they did recently-ish felt sturdier than this, for comparison. Warner is a great company doing great work but I hope they offer some sort of statement on this if enough people complain about it.
Old 10-24-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IG80Nate
Ummm...

Nah, too easy.

damn i set myself up for that one.
Old 10-24-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chill Pill
I really couldn't care less about cases and covers.
I work at Best Buy 2 nites a week, I get a discount, I pay $50 for 5 movies from my favorite (well, maybe 2nd favorite) director ever, 16x9 versions.
No brainer.
So I just got done watching EWS and if you're someone thinking about buying it for the "unrated" material you can pass. Basically just more nudity as mentioned above.

So, you think that an old movie looked bad in a theater? I've seen restored prints of films from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, and 1960s and they looked awesome. NTSC DVD has only 480 lines of resolution... a lot of companies like Disney and Warner Bros. are digitally restoring many classics in 4K resolution (4000+ lines).

This idiotic mindset that older films look bad needs to stop. I've seen some silents from the 1920s that were fully restored and projected in 35mm. Even the DVDs I have from the same restoration didn't match the sharpness and detail that I saw on the theater screen. Put this into consideration for a 1970s or 1980s film.

HD allows us to see films in a higher resolution that is closer to seeing a real film presentation. Even 1080p BluRay doesn't match what a real 70mm print of 2001 would look like. But its closer. NTSC is such a ridiculously low resolution, even compared to HD or film. As great as Warner's new DVD of The Wizard of Oz looked, the 35mm print I saw looked even sharper. It's just that they did what they could with the format. In HD, it'll be closer.

Last edited by PatrickMcCart; 10-24-07 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-24-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did I read that some people got the "door" cover for the shining in the box set also? Or is that just for the individual release of the shining?
Old 10-24-07, 12:21 PM

Yes, I saw one (but only one) at Target yesterday. They had all the new individual ones too, except for Eyes Wide Shut but I was only interested in ACO, 2001 and The Shining. The individual releases are on sale for $15 each.
Old 10-24-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dhs122
So those of you who have it....are we better off sticking with the old set or are the new editions really worth the dip? I plan on getting EWS to get the uncensored....but the others?
Do you own a HDTV? If yes, then absolutely for the anamorphic transfers. If no, you might as well wait.

Originally Posted by Machinegunrap
By the way, dvdempire lists the new "Barry Lyndon" as being anamorphic
The picture of the back cover does not confirm this...

Originally Posted by RD1973
I bought 2001, The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut, and A Life in Pictures individually. None had any inserts. Do the ones in the boxset have inserts?
WB DVDs have not included inserts for years... Most studios do not include inserts.
Old 10-24-07, 12:48 PM

damn i set myself up for that one.
I'm a little ashamed of myself for even going down that road, but I just couldn't resist.
Old 10-24-07, 01:00 PM

Nope. I don't have a HDTV. I guess I shouldn't get it then.
I was really excited about these releases. Maybe I'll still get EWS because the censoring sucks. I saw it in the theatre in Japan and it was unobscured there.
Old 10-24-07, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
So, you think that an old movie looked bad in a theater? I've seen restored prints of films from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, and 1960s and they looked awesome. NTSC DVD has only 480 lines of resolution... a lot of companies like Disney and Warner Bros. are digitally restoring many classics in 4K resolution (4000+ lines).

This idiotic mindset that older films look bad needs to stop. I've seen some silents from the 1920s that were fully restored and projected in 35mm. Even the DVDs I have from the same restoration didn't match the sharpness and detail that I saw on the theater screen. Put this into consideration for a 1970s or 1980s film.

HD allows us to see films in a higher resolution that is closer to seeing a real film presentation. Even 1080p BluRay doesn't match what a real 70mm print of 2001 would look like. But its closer. NTSC is such a ridiculously low resolution, even compared to HD or film. As great as Warner's new DVD of The Wizard of Oz looked, the 35mm print I saw looked even sharper. It's just that they did what they could with the format. In HD, it'll be closer.
Well thats entirely amazing to me.

And no, I don't think old movies look "bad", in fact I love how they look. It just seems to me HD is sharper. Guess not.

And to the penis above who called me ignorant for working at Best Buy... I work there 3 hours a week. I saved about two grand on my tv, etc..

Yeah, that 40% discount blows.. and wholly ignorant to boot.
Old 10-24-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
It's a Warner Bros. issue...they're in the process of upgrading how their ordering system works, and as a result have been having a problem getting titles out to both retailers and distributors. Warners is focusing on getting new releases out as a priority - so if you think the new releases have been hard to come by, try getting an out of stock catalog title.

We're hoping everything gets ironed out soon, because they have some big holiday releases coming we don't want to have a problem with (think of the outrage if customers can't find Blade Runner or Order of the Phoenix in stores!). The key with Warners right now is, if you want a title for release date, prebook and prebook early.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.