Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Hidden" Widescreen...have we become that lazy?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Hidden" Widescreen...have we become that lazy?

Old 11-09-04, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Unclear artwork - Widescreen or not...have we become that lazy?

Originally posted by bossman284
*snip*

If you can't take the 5 seconds to scan the back or the sticker, than we are doomed as a society!

*snip*
Hey! You are just plain wrong about this. I went to BB at lunch today, and I timed myself. On 3 out of 4 disks it took between 6 & 7 seconds to find where it said "widescreen" on the back.

Five seconds indeed. Hmmmph.

Of course, I have to get my glasses out of my pocket (and on bad days, my head out of my a$$) first.
Old 11-09-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The packaging for Shrek 2 is labeled "widescreen" in four different places.

End of discussion.
Old 11-09-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Unclear artwork - Widescreen or not...have we become that lazy?

Originally posted by Janitor
Of course, I have to get my glasses out of my pocket (and on bad days, my head out of my a$$) first.
Jesus tapdancing Christ in a chicken basket! That's funny!
Old 11-10-04, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found myself still laughing in the car on the way home because of that line. Damm funny line
Old 11-10-04, 06:36 AM

I guess none of you have seen Natural Born Killers then.
Old 11-10-04, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey all,

Although I think this thread is ridiculous, as is the entire topic/situation -- I do have a simple solution. If you are at best buy, or somewhere where they have dvd players and tv's on display as well - just open the DVD in question, and tell them that you want to test it. Then you can see for sure - ruling out any misprinting errors, or anything.

Be careful though -- sometimes Best Buy won't have the 16x9 tv's set up correctly (they will have it set to 4:3 or zoom mode or something). If that's the case, have them call their installer and tweak the set on the spot -- and watch them to make sure they actually do it. If that doesn't work, just have them transfer the open DVD to another best buy, and they will call you when it arrives -- then you can test it on their TV's.

Works for me,

Matt

Last edited by KillerQ; 11-10-04 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-10-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally posted by KillerQ
If you are at best buy, or somewhere where they have dvd players and tv's on display as well - just open the DVD in question, and tell them that you want to test it. Then you can see for sure - ruling out any misprinting errors, or anything.

Works for me,
The employees at your local Best Buy must really hate you.
Old 11-10-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think there are two situations where one could make a mistake and pick up the wrong one (as opposed to just being lazy ).

The first is when the WS version has a banner to indicate it, but the FS does not (the first Harry Potter, The Princess Diaries original release). I know most of us will normally assume that many DVDs are WS only and if there is no banner on the front, it must be WS. (Yes, there have been some FS only titles, but those are thankfully rare.) I hate it when they do that because it seems to send the message that the FS is the standard, regular version while the WS is somehow "different" when it should be the other way around.

The second situation is when the AR information is only on the back for both versions (The Rookie, One Hour Photo for example). Again, with the mindset that many DVDs are widescreen only and that titles with two versions usually have the banner on the front, I can see where someone might pick up the wrong one. It hasn't happened to me, mostly because I keep up with new release info and know what the cover art is going to look like ahead of time, but I can see where someone could make a mistake.
Old 11-10-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Meh.. makes no difference here...but I like the soda analogy. Imagine if Coke and Diet Coke had the same packaging and folks had ta look at the nutrition label to see which was diet. HA! You're selling your product, make it easy for the consumer to get the kind they want.

Obviously no one on this post needs to be told tho. But I have seen folks while I'm in line at Best Buy step out of line when they realize they have the "wrong" version.

But those folks don't even shake the DVD before buying it to see if the disc is loose! Rookies!
Old 11-10-04, 10:26 AM

Im sorry but in this case with Shrek 2.. it bloody says WIDESCREEN in yellow letters in the bottom left corner... HOW THE HELL can people miss that?!?!?