DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Farscape Starburst Edition Details (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/394345-farscape-starburst-edition-details.html)

mikeporter 11-04-04 05:40 PM

Farscape Starburst Edition Details

It looks like there are going to be three starburst editions for each of the four seasons. Buying the starburst editions make each season aproximately half the price of full season sets. Three starburst editions for one full season will cost between $40 to $45 vs the current full season price of $80 to $90. Details for the starburst are here
You can preorder the first starburst edition at
BB for $12.99 or
DDD for $14.99
In addition Farscape Peacekeeper Wars can be preordered at DDD for $10.63

Mike Lowrey 11-04-04 09:17 PM

I may just do this. I haven't bought any Farscape DVDs yet, and one of the reasons is that I didn't like the packaging of the First Season set which included the 11 discs of the original releases.

This Starburst Edition thing may be a more attractive way of collecting them.

I'm wondering if this is the same way the Andromeda Season sets are packaged. Because their DDD price is about $45. When buying them separately, the five volumes (from DDD) run about $125 per season.

Josh-da-man 11-04-04 09:55 PM

Kick ass!

Now I can finally watch "Farscape."

Do these carry over all of the special features from the previous editions?

Sessa17 11-04-04 10:47 PM

I still am curious, what exactly is the difference b/w the "starburst" edition & the previously releases full season set?

Also, for die-hard fans, if you pre-order the Peacekeeper Wars DVD from Creationent.com, you get a free autograph photo from one of the main cast members.

CarlitoBrown 11-05-04 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Sessa17
I still am curious, what exactly is the difference b/w the "starburst" edition & the previously releases full season set?

Also, for die-hard fans, if you pre-order the Peacekeeper Wars DVD from Creationent.com, you get a free autograph photo from one of the main cast members.

Why don't you just click on the link provided?

Anyway, this is great news. I've always wanted to jump into this show. I can't believe ADV is letting these go so cheap. It doesn't make any sense. There's gotta be some catch.

Philip Reuben 11-05-04 02:19 AM

Originally posted by CarlitoBrown
Anyway, this is great news. I've always wanted to jump into this show.
Same here! I can see myself getting these.

I can't believe ADV is letting these go so cheap. It doesn't make any sense. There's gotta be some catch.
The catch is that we had to wait several years, while the only versions available were significantly more expensive.

Rogue588 11-05-04 02:38 AM

The only differences I can see right now are...

Each starburst volume has 2 double sided discs which have seven episodes total while the original release had 2 single sided discs per volume with only four eps [2 on each disc].

Of course, I just bit the bullet, waited and bought the entire season box sets for $90.00 each...

And thanks for the Peacekeeper Wars/DDD heads-up, Mike P.

Draven99 11-05-04 06:52 AM

Doesn't seem to be any different in extras wise.
I already own all of the single releases.....

reservoirdog 11-05-04 09:21 AM

Why don't they just cut the price on the original season sets?

CarlitoBrown 11-05-04 09:24 AM

Because nobody wants one season to take up half the space on their shelf.

Sessa17 11-05-04 09:28 AM

Originally posted by CarlitoBrown
Because nobody wants one season to take up half the space on their shelf.
I like the boxes that they come in, I think the art is freat on them, & you must have one small shelf b/c a box hardly takes up half of it, I have all 4 season box sets on my shelf with room left over.

Anyway, I'm glad I bought the season box sets as they came out. I got them for the same price as the Starburst editions, (actually less, I picked up SEason 1 & 2 for $60 on ebay) I don't know why everyone whined about there prices, & they have the great box art.

CarlitoBrown 11-05-04 09:31 AM

Denial. Lol

MrE 11-05-04 11:23 AM

More details, from ADV:

Farscape: Starburst Edition Volume One (SRP $24.98) is a DVD-only release, including 7 complete episodes on two double-sided discs, with audio presented in English 5.1 and 2.0. Overflowing with a drenload of extras, including: Documentary: "Making of a Space Opera," "In the Beginning: A Look Back with Brian Henson" recorded exclusively for the Starburst edition, "From the Archives: Early Makeup Tests, Video Profiles: Ben Browder (John Crichton) and Claudia Black (Aeryn Sun), 6 audio commentaries with the cast and crew, new Cool Farscape Facts (including behind the scenes information about every episode featuring new insights from series creator Rockne S. O'Bannon) by Paul Simpson (Farscape: The Illustrated Companion), Alien Encounters, greatly expanded production design and character art galleries: Conceptual Art, Crichton & Aeryn, Farscape trailers and ADV previews.

Mike Lowrey 11-05-04 09:15 PM

I like the fact that ADV is doing this, basically for two reasons.

1) The reduction in price...$15 for 7 episodes.

2) Rather have Season 1 in 3 consolidated volumes than 11 separate discs.

runner001 11-17-04 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
I like the fact that ADV is doing this, basically for two reasons.

1) The reduction in price...$15 for 7 episodes.

2) Rather have Season 1 in 3 consolidated volumes than 11 separate discs.

If each season has about 22 eps, and each "Starburst Edition" has only 7 eps total, and they plan on releasing 2 Starburst Editions for each season, how would one get the remaining eps?

Also, does anyone know if picture quality is sacrificed due to so much fitting on one disc?

vaporware 11-17-04 10:44 AM

Ehh, I bought all the original boxsets for about $70 each using the 20% discount at DDD. Had I known I might would have held out for this.

Joe Molotov 11-17-04 11:53 AM

Originally posted by runner001
If each season has about 22 eps, and each "Starburst Edition" has only 7 eps total, and they plan on releasing 2 Starburst Editions for each season, how would one get the remaining eps?

Also, does anyone know if picture quality is sacrificed due to so much fitting on one disc?

Three per season, and it's comes on two double-sided discs, so there shouldn't be a drop in quality.

Megalion 11-17-04 03:51 PM

Is Farscape closed captioned on either version?

Mike Lowrey 11-17-04 05:57 PM

Originally posted by runner001
Nope, three volumes per season. Seven episodes on two of them, eight on the other. (7+7+8=22)

As Joe Molotov and MrE reported, there will be two double-sided discs. And actually if it weren't for all the extras (when did you ever think you'd hear that?) the seven/eight episodes could easily fit on 2 single-sided discs. But since these seem to be packed with extras, the double sides are required.

Fielding Mellish 01-13-05 01:36 PM

Just found Volume 2 (supposed to be released next Tues.) on the shelf at my local Best Buy. It was just $15.99, so I picked one up. For some reason, BB always seems to ignore street dates on ADV stuff.

That said, if ya want one, looks like there's no need to wait 'til the 18th.

Bandoman 01-13-05 03:24 PM

Are they going to release these in season box sets as they complete each season? I'd love to see this show, but I want to wait to get a whole season at one time.

bboisvert 01-13-05 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Are they going to release these in season box sets as they complete each season? I'd love to see this show, but I want to wait to get a whole season at one time.

I'd practically guarantee it, given the way ADV treated the previous release. I too am holding back and waiting to see if we get a Season 1: Starburst box. I'd bet we see it by the summer.

Joe Molotov 01-13-05 04:47 PM

I think I may wait and see what happens before I pick up any of these.

slop101 01-19-05 01:00 PM

Hey, does anyone know if these new "Starburst" editions have that annoying "what is anime?" ad that starts the old dvds?

It'd be worth re-buying these just so I don't have to hear those ads ever again - yes, they're skippable, but you'll always get the first few seconds which is enough to drive me bonkers.

Fielding Mellish 01-19-05 03:17 PM

No such luck, slop. They're still there.