DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Just Picked up Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/393585-just-picked-up-harry-potter-prisoner-azkaban.html)

RoboDad 11-24-04 03:48 AM

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Well if they are keeping track of what stores get the numbers, they'll at least know what store that DVD was sold in - and possibly the day and time it was sold too if they've done something similar to the bar codes on each DVD.
Nope, couldn't possibly work. We already have examples of people in California, New Jersey and Oregon (me) who all got code 301. If a bootleg shows up in Denver with that number, how is it going to mean ANYTHING to them?

Now, off the tangent topic, I picked up four copies today at my local Best Buy (three are Christmas gifts), and went to the counter, prepared to pay $15.99 each. When the price rang up (at $15.99, as expected), the clerk shook her head and said, "that's not the right price." I told her I was pretty sure it was marked that on the shelf (which it was), and I was just preparing to raise a big stink about being overcharged, when the clerk continued, "no, I know these are supposed to be $12.50 each." She then entered a manual price adjustment into the register, and sold me all four copies for a total of fifty bucks!

Mr. Salty 11-24-04 04:11 AM

My copy is 301.

My guess is this isn't to help identify a bootlegger once the DVD has been released, but rather to trace the source of bootlegs that come out well before the DVD is released.

Obviously there aren't many different numbers, because several of us have 301. I'm thinking this identifies either a pressing facility, or an actual DVD pressing master. This way, if pre-release bootlegs show up, Warner Bros. can identify which pressing facility or whatever has a security leak where someone was able to copy a disc during the manufacturing stage.

Josh H 11-24-04 09:04 AM

Originally posted by bboisvert
Good plan, except that the boxed set has the first 2 in the original digipacks and only the third in a keepcase. :)
Really? I could have sworn the pictures posted here when the set was announced showed the first 2 in new keepcases.

Oh well, I display boxed sets with the spine of the box facing out, so it won't be noticeable anyway. :D

davida2004 11-24-04 09:33 AM

at comp u.s.a. its $12.99 beet that

Josh Z 11-24-04 10:05 AM

I also have a 301. It only lasts a frame or two, but it's much larger than the one in that screen-cap posted earlier. It's very noticeable and distracting.

DigIt 11-24-04 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
I'm thinking this identifies either a pressing facility, or an actual DVD pressing master. This way, if pre-release bootlegs show up, Warner Bros. can identify which pressing facility or whatever has a security leak where someone was able to copy a disc during the manufacturing stage.
I'm guessing the same thing.

fumanstan 11-24-04 12:14 PM

Originally posted by RoboDad
Nope, couldn't possibly work. We already have examples of people in California, New Jersey and Oregon (me) who all got code 301. If a bootleg shows up in Denver with that number, how is it going to mean ANYTHING to them?

Now, off the tangent topic, I picked up four copies today at my local Best Buy (three are Christmas gifts), and went to the counter, prepared to pay $15.99 each. When the price rang up (at $15.99, as expected), the clerk shook her head and said, "that's not the right price." I told her I was pretty sure it was marked that on the shelf (which it was), and I was just preparing to raise a big stink about being overcharged, when the clerk continued, "no, I know these are supposed to be $12.50 each." She then entered a manual price adjustment into the register, and sold me all four copies for a total of fifty bucks!

She probably had only seen people purchasing it with one of the first two films, which are 2 for 25 if purchased together. :)

Iron_Giant 11-24-04 01:45 PM

Thought the picture quality was very good throughout the movie. I have not compared it to the other movies, but my memory tells me it is better.

Iron_Giant 11-24-04 01:52 PM

I have 301 also:
Seattle area - Washington State.

RockyMtnBri 11-24-04 01:55 PM

OK, back to the cases - it is a pain that they switched "mid-stream" from the digipak. I liked the "book" look of the other two, and now the newest one just looks like any other DVD in my collection.

Josh Z 11-24-04 02:47 PM

I liked the digipaks but it doesn't overly bother me that they switched to a keepcase. What would have been nice, however, is if they had at least kept the spine layout consistent so that you could line them up together on your shelf.

ShagMan 11-24-04 03:01 PM

Yep, not only did they go to a keepcase, the spine picture doesn't line up... sheesh.

pighead 11-24-04 03:44 PM

i got 301 too. NJ bought at walmart.

jhowie 11-24-04 04:18 PM

Wal-Mart had the Full Screen for $15.84 and the widescreen for $15.87.

DVDMasterMind 11-24-04 05:40 PM

We must all realize that there are people in every company that get paid to come up with ideas. Now if those ideas are good or bad, that seems to be left up to the consumer. For Instance, "Hey Fred, I need you to come up with something to catch bootleggers." Fred Replies "Lets put numbers on the Harry Potter films...." (though if you went out and bought Harry Potter for your own enjoyment the day it came out and your over 13, you might deserve to have numbers on every one of your DVS's.)

In conclusion, the number may have "destroyed" 2 frames of the entire movie, but does it really matter all that much. Just think of it this way, your getting mad about 2 frames, and there is some dumb-ass raking in his 4.2 million dollar bonus for coming up with the dumbest idea ever.

Disc-Flipper 11-24-04 09:16 PM

Originally posted by ShagMan
Yep, not only did they go to a keepcase, the spine picture doesn't line up... sheesh.
1 & 2 will line up with 3 if you turn them around to the other side. But besides... somebody needs to come up with keepcase scans of 1 & 2 which will look nice beside 3.

The Infidel 11-24-04 11:13 PM

Purchased at Meijer in Indiana.

RoboDad 11-25-04 12:37 AM

Originally posted by fumanstan
She probably had only seen people purchasing it with one of the first two films, which are 2 for 25 if purchased together. :)
Works for me! :D

kms_md 11-25-04 10:36 AM

301 as well.

kms

Alan Smithee 11-26-04 06:14 PM

Anyone know if the number is on the foolscreen version, and/or if it showed up in the theatrical prints? (If it was there on the negative, they could've just pan-n-scanned it off the screen since the characters are on the far right!)

Josh Z 11-27-04 01:33 PM

It isn't part of the negative. My "301" is much larger than the ones shown in screen caps in this forum.

buckee1 11-27-04 08:36 PM

301 on mine as well. Purchased @ BB in Okemos, MI.

mzupeman2 11-27-04 09:33 PM

I don't care if it is for just a frame or two, it's pretty rediculous they have to throw that on the picture of the film.