DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Real Ghostbusters? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/393420-real-ghostbusters.html)

Novasonic 10-30-04 02:15 AM

The Real Ghostbusters?

Does anybody know if The Real Ghostbusters cartoons are coming out on DVD anytime soon? I'm getting tired of waiting. lol

Forum Troll 10-30-04 02:19 AM

There are already 2 releases in the UK that have 8 episodes on 2 discs. If you have a multiplayer, import those, as they are only like 9 dollars each.

Novasonic 10-30-04 02:21 AM

link me?

***Nevermind, I see it now on amazon uk. I think a few episodes per disc is lame. I'd rather have season sets. Why do they always do that crap?

Novasonic 10-30-04 02:24 AM

omfg:
<i>Mod note: Links to/discussions of bootlegs .
aren't permitted here. Since they haven't been officially released I can't imagine this seller is offering anything but.

Thanks
nemein
</i>

I wonder how bad the quality is.

Forum Troll 10-30-04 02:40 AM

Those sets are absolutely HORRIBLE. My roomate bought a set, that puported to be "crystal-clear DVD quality". They turned out to be a 320x240 capture of a 100th-generation VHS dub. They were unwatcheable. If you really, really want them, go for it, but don't expect anything decent. In the end you'll just be dissapointed.

Novasonic 10-30-04 02:47 AM

I would never spend that much. It's like $100 too high. lol

Novasonic 10-30-04 04:39 AM

I emailed the guy from the auction and here's what he said:

"I originally recorded them right from the TV on SP mode so they look and sound nice. I then transferred them to DVD's and they are commercial free.

I would say 12 or so episodes suffer in quality because I had to get them in trades.
99.9 percent of them are excellent. All my customers have been very happy. No Bull. You can ask any other ebay member who has purchased them if you like."

Jackskeleton 10-30-04 05:38 AM

But he is selling a bootleg item. There should be no more discussion about quality, quanitity, where he got them, where he sold them. etc. Bootlegs = bad here. is that hard to get?

Novasonic 10-30-04 11:32 AM

No, I understand completely. It's just that there isn't any real ghostbusters release in the US and I'm getting tired of waiting. There is no way in hell I would pay $130 for a bootleg. Like, I said, maybe if it was $30 or something.

El-Kabong 11-02-04 01:47 PM

Just go with the UK imports - they're uncut (as near as my faulty memory serves), look pretty good, have a great episode seclection and are dirt cheap.

Geofferson 11-02-04 02:59 PM

Damn, I wish I had this. Haven't seen this cartoon in years.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

DVDFreaker 11-02-04 06:34 PM

I love that show, I hope it comes out in the future, I haven't seen it when I was a kid.

Masamune 11-02-04 10:04 PM

Was my fav show as a kid.

Lastdaysofrain 11-03-04 08:14 AM

I actually perferred "The Ghostbusters" cartoon with the Monkey.

The Bus 11-20-05 01:25 PM

I know we can't talk about bootleg DVDs. But what about bootleg shows?

<i>Mod note: Any discussion about bootleg material (aside from trying to confirm whether something is or isn't) shouldn't be here.</i>

Egon's Ghost 11-21-05 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Damn, I wish I had this. Haven't seen this cartoon in years.

I have both of the UK discs; a year ago Amazon.co.uk had them for like 4 quid each. 4 eps, some of them I have from the old VHS collections. The quality is eh, but better than you'll get from any bootleg, obviously. "Knock Knock" has its original song, I believe; if I recall correctly, it had been changed in syndication. The sound is mono, I think, the video is grainy (probably taken from the old masters), but much better than what I had been used to, which was ollllllllllllllllllld ELP VHS tapes watched countless times. For me, they were worth it.

I can't believe people would spend so much money on these bootlegs. That price is outrageous. For something with unknown and most likely shit-tastic quality. But that's the case with any boot. Sure, it probably took some time to do the transfers, but how do you know the seller really did it, not just made copies of DVD-Rs? Screw these people. That email from the seller is worse than a sleazy used-car salesman. This is why I am very wary of Ebay.

The Bus 11-21-05 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I know we can't talk about bootleg DVDs. But what about bootleg shows?

<i>Mod note: Any discussion about bootleg material (aside from trying to confirm whether something is or isn't) shouldn't be here.</i>

This was a joke on the "bootleg" (fake) Filmation Ghostbusters series. The link led someone to the site discussing the show, not selling episodes.

You know... the Ghostbusters series with the monkey and the flying Piglet?

GuessWho 11-21-05 10:13 AM

A gorilla is not a monkey.

http://www.voilier2000.com/spl80/cartoons/ghostfilm.JPG

dx23 12-19-05 02:43 PM

According to tvshowsondvd.com, Sucky, I mean Sony, is planning to release 3 volumes with random episodes.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4728

My 2 cents: Sony doesn't seem to get it. DVD and TV shows fan don't want "best of" episode DVDs, they want season sets. Why is this too hard to understand?

Egon's Ghost 12-19-05 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
According to tvshowsondvd.com, Sucky, I mean Sony, is planning to release 3 volumes with random episodes.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4728

My 2 cents: Sony doesn't seem to get it. DVD and TV shows fan don't want "best of" episode DVDs, they want season sets. Why is this too hard to understand?

Nope, they sure don't. Obviously targeted for the kiddies. I don't mind the selection, but a few are on the UK discs and most of these were on the old VHS collections as well, so they aren't really doing anything new. Maybe as a market tester? At any rate, I'd love to have Night Game, Lost and Foundry, and Killerwatt on DVD. A pretty "meh" affair, sadly.

Gord Lacey 12-19-05 04:59 PM

I addressed this in the news item; it's not something they're marketing to you, they're marketing it to parents with little kids that would spend $10 on an impulse buy.

Gord

David Lambert 12-20-05 07:38 AM

There's more about what Gord said in <a href="http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/blog/2005/12/different-approaches-to-best-of-dvds.html" target="tsod">our new blog</a>.

Novasonic 12-20-05 08:03 AM

Sigh, I will still buy these, but I hope season sets are soon to follow.

reverie 12-20-05 11:13 AM

I forget what I have on VHS, but unless one of these volumes can replace the couple I have, I won't be picking these up. Season sets on the other hand...

Morf 12-20-05 11:33 AM

This doesn't really come as a surprise. For many cartoons, this is the first step in releasing entire season sets. I'll wait patiently.

Geofferson 12-21-05 10:46 PM

Best of or not...will definitely be picking these volumes up. :up:

LoPan5705 12-22-05 08:11 AM

This is just a sampling before a full set is released. Same thing happened to Batman:TAS and He-Man. These will probably end up in the $5 bin sometime down the road.

Egon's Ghost 12-22-05 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by LoPan5705
This is just a sampling before a full set is released. Same thing happened to Batman:TAS and He-Man. These will probably end up in the $5 bin sometime down the road.

I hope you are right. I'm a bit sceptical, as 1986-87 alone had more than 70 episodes. I thought He-Man was a best-of, compiled from a vote on a fansite.

Gord Lacey 12-23-05 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by LoPan5705

Probably not. The people working on this set don't have any experience doing season sets. I doubt the words "season set" are ever mentioned in their marketing meetings because they're used to marketing their products to parents with little kids. This isn't a normal property for them, and they don't know what to do with it. If the people that control the "normal" Sony TV properties got ahold of it then we'd have a chance at season sets. This is the same thing that HIT went through with for Fraggle Rock. I sat down with them at VSDA and explained that the "collector's edition" DVDs they were working on wouldn't appeal to collectors because the collectors wanted season sets, not discs with some random episodes on it along with bonus features. Thankfully they listened (to me and everyone that sign petitions online), but I think the Sony kids area will be harder to reach.

The best thing you can do is to write a polite letter explaining yourself as a consumer. Explain that you used to watch the show, and you'd like to rewatch it on DVD, but you don't feel supporting a "best of" release is the best use of your money since you're saving it for the eventual season set (dropping the hint).

If only Sony would license it to BCI...

Gord

Egon's Ghost 05-01-08 09:33 PM

Bump. I've received this from TVShowsonDVD (posted by Gord Lacey):

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Rea...ers-Rumor/9505

The Real Ghostbusters -Rumor: Ghostbusters heading to DVD (again)?

Fall release likely
Posted by Gord Lacey
4/29/2008

We've received a tip from a reliable source that The Real Ghostbusters is heading to DVD (again). A multi-disc release is apparently in the works for a fall release, and the interesting thing is we're told the set is not coming from Sony (the releasing studio was not named). This is an interesting development since Sony owns the rights, and until now they have been unwilling to license shows to third parties.

Fans will remember Sony released 3 Real Ghostbusters volumes in 2006 containing random episodes from the run of the series. Sales were poor because the releases were targeted towards children and their parents, not fans of the series which are now in their 20s and 30s.

2008 looks bright for Ghostbusters fans; yesterday, many websites previewed the upcoming video game, due for release in the fall, and now there's news the animated series will also be released this year.

We'll post more news when we get it.

JackBurton 05-02-08 06:21 AM

Excellent news! Hope it happens.

Swahili 05-02-08 08:59 AM

Bam diggity. That would be fantastic. I'd pick them up for sure.

Numes 05-02-08 05:18 PM

:fc: for complete, full season sets

tronmaster 05-02-08 06:46 PM

Please, please be a season set, not a "best of". I liked it before The Real Ghostbusters became the Slimer show.

Egon's Ghost 05-05-08 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Numes
:fc: for complete, full season sets

same here, but that first "season" was 73 or so episodes. After that it went to Saturday morning and had Coulier as Venkman. Just doesn't seem realistic to have a full set - that would be, what, 10 DVDs?
Even a series of best-of comps of the first 73 would be preferable over a mix of the first 73 and later.

tylergfoster 05-05-08 02:09 PM

They could do two volumes of Season 1, five discs apiece.

Numes 05-06-08 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
same here, but that first "season" was 73 or so episodes. After that it went to Saturday morning and had Coulier as Venkman. Just doesn't seem realistic to have a full set - that would be, what, 10 DVDs?
Even a series of best-of comps of the first 73 would be preferable over a mix of the first 73 and later.

Yeah, I always forget that those syndicated cartoons had crazy episode counts per season. I guess I was thinking something like Duck Tales with 4-5 disc "volumes." Bottom line, I want a complete release.

Egon's Ghost 05-06-08 12:41 PM

It would be cool if they did held a vote for best 10 or 20 episodes of the first year, like with He-Man, but sadly Real Ghostbusters fans are comparatively few and not very well organized. I hope I'm wrong, that a good, comprehensive set is released, and it sells well enough to warrant more.

story 05-06-08 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost

That's not how I remember it. They ran audio promos over cartoon credits for months before debuting the cartoon on ABC Saturday mornings in the fall of 1986. There were around thirteen or so first-season episodes and for my money, those were my favorite. The Bogeyman Cometh. Ghost R Us. Halloween Forever with Samhain, Mrs. Roger's Neighborhood when Peter gets possessed by a ghost named "What." The animation that season was better than subsequent seasons, Lorenzo Music was still voicing Peter, and J. Michael Strazinski put everything he had into great, dark scripts.

Zen Peckinpah 05-06-08 03:48 PM

If they can put the old action figure commercials on the sets I'd be quite impressed.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZR0B3FBfmKk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZR0B3FBfmKk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>