DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Warner Gangsters Collection - 1/25/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/392966-warner-gangsters-collection-1-25-05-a.html)

B5Erik 10-28-04 12:11 PM

The Petrified Forest

That is one DVD release that I have been eagerly waiting for - it's one of my all time favorite movies! My pick for best movie from 1936!

The other titles are great as well. I can't wait for this set!

Walter Neff 10-28-04 02:03 PM

Warner Bros. comes through again. God bless 'em.

CrumpsBrother 10-28-04 09:54 PM

Damn, those are some of my favorite gangster films of all time! :adds this one to his wish list:

mookyman 10-28-04 11:34 PM

Awesome news! Can't wait for The Public Enemy.

unclehulot 10-29-04 12:06 AM

Can't see a mention of it here, but The Public Enemy disc will have footage recently found that was cut in the mid-30s to conform to the production code!

DonnachaOne 10-29-04 12:11 AM

Will get.

Laser Movies 11-03-04 12:51 AM

This set will look nice sitting next to the Warner Film Noir box.

drjay 11-03-04 02:11 AM

WB is indeed my favorite studio these days. That said, they are gouging my wallet! I am looking forward to this.

Chris Taylor 11-03-04 06:43 AM

and the congregation said AMEN...

Rypro 525 11-03-04 09:51 PM

Originally posted by unclehulot
Can't see a mention of it here, but The Public Enemy disc will have footage recently found that was cut in the mid-30s to conform to the production code!
will it be restored back into the movie? and do you know any of these cuts. I can't wait to do a marathon of this box set and the original scarface.

John Hodson 11-04-04 09:42 AM

Thanks to Herb at the HTF, those Gangsters box set details in full:

Warner Bros. All-Time Greatest Gangster Pictures in One Killer DVD Collection!

The Public Enemy, White Heat, Angels with Dirty Faces, Little Caesar, The Petrified Forest, The Roaring Twenties; 6 Classics Featuring Hollywood’s Legendary Tough Guys – Bogey, Robinson and Cagney - Arrive in Boxed DVD Set January 25

DVDs Packed with Hours of Extras Including Commentaries, Making-of Featurettes & New "Warner Night At The Movies" Features

BURBANK, Calif., October 20, 2004 – Six of Warner Bros. greatest classic gangster films – starring Hollywood legends Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney and Edward G. Robinson -- will be available on DVD January 25 for the very first time as the Warner Bros. Pictures Gangsters Collection. The six-disc set from Warner Home Video (WHV) will include The Public Enemy, White Heat, Angels with Dirty Faces, Little Caesar, The Petrified Forest and The Roaring Twenties. The collection will be available for $68.92 SRP. Each title is also available separately for $19.97 SRP.

All six titles have been fully restored and digitally remastered, and are loaded with special features including historian commentaries and new making-of featurettes. Each disc also contains an exclusive "Warner Night at the Movies" segment. Hosted by Leonard Maltin, each bonus feature recreates moviegoer attractions such as newsreels, comedy shorts, cartoons and trailers from the years each film was released. In addition, The Public Enemy DVD contains several minutes of recovered footage not seen in more than 70 years.

Major Hollywood studios in the ‘30s and ‘40s were each known for their distinctive styles (MGM for its musicals; Universal for its horror films, etc.). Warner Bros. was best known for firmly establishing the genre of gangster films, which were also noted for their socially conscious themes as well as their simple visual look (low key lighting and sparse sets). Nowhere were these elements more prominent than in the films of the Warner Bros. Pictures Gangsters Collection.

"We are thrilled to be finally releasing these highly-demanded films in an exciting new DVD collection," said George Feltenstein, WHV’s Senior Vice President Classic Catalog. "These are the films that defined our studio in its early years, and which in turn defined the gangster genre. One only has to recall Jimmy Cagney squashing his grapefruit into Mae Clarke’s face (The Public Enemy); Cagney yelling ‘Made it, Ma! Top o’ the world!’ (White Heat); or Robinson barking, ‘This is Rico speaking. Rico! R-I-C-O! Rico! Little Caesar, that's who!’ to know that these signature Warner Bros. titles represent the genre’s best of the best. These films are truly timeless in their appeal, and we insisted on waiting until full restorations were completed before we would bring them to the discerning DVD marketplace. I trust that all the fans will agree it will have been well worth the wait."

The Public Enemy (1931)
The Public Enemy showcases James Cagney’s powerful 1931 breakthrough performance as streetwise tough guy Tom Powers, but only because production chief Darryl F. Zanuck made a late casting change. When shooting began, Cagney had a secondary role but Zanuck soon spotted Cagney’s screen dominance and gave him the star part. From that moment, an indelible genre classic and an enduring star career were both born. Bristling with ’20s style, dialogue and desperation under the masterful directorial eye of William A. Wellman, this is a virtual time capsule of the Prohibition era: taut, gritty and hard-hitting. Contains several restored scenes (deleted from subsequent reissue versions due to enforcement of the Production code) from the original release version of the film, unseen since 1931.

Public Enemy DVD special features include:

Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1931 with Newsreel, Comedy Short The Eyes Have It, Cartoon Smile, Darn Ya, Smile and 1931 Trailer Gallery
New Featurette Beer and Blood: Enemies of the Public
Commentary by Film Historian Robert Sklar
1954 Re-release Foreword
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

White Heat (1949)
Playing a psychotic thug, Cody Jarrett, devoted to his hard-boiled "ma," James Cagney gives a performance to match his electrifying work in The Public Enemy. Bracingly directed by Raoul Walsh, this fast-paced thriller tracing Jarrett’s violent life in and out of jail is among the most vivid screen performances of Cagney’s career, and the excitement it generates will put you on top of the world!

White Heat DVD special features include:

Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1949 with Newsreel, Comedy Short So You Think You’re Not Guilty, Cartoon Homeless Hare and 1949 Trailer Gallery
New Featurette White Heat: Top of the World
Commentary by Film Historian Drew Casper

Angels With Dirty Faces (1938)
Off-screen pals James Cagney and Pat O’Brien team up for the sixth time in this enduring gangster classic nominated for three Academy Awards. Cagney’s Rocky Sullivan is a charismatic tough kid from New York’s Hell’s Kitchen whose underworld rise makes him a hero to a gang of slum punks. O’Brien is Father Connolly, the boyhood chum-turned-priest who vows to end Rocky’s influence. Directed by Michael Curtiz (Casablanca), the film also stars Humphrey Bogart and Ann Sheridan. Cagney’s role as Rocky earned him the 1938 New York Film Critics Award for Best Actor along with his first Best Actor Oscar® nomination.

Angels With Dirty Faces DVD special features include:

Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1938 with Newsreel, Musical Short Out Where the Stars Begin, Cartoon Porky and Daffy and 1938 Trailer Gallery
New Featurette Angels with Dirty Faces: Whaddya Hear? Whaddya Say?
Commentary by Film Historian Dana Polan
Audio-Only Bonus: Radio Production with the Film’s 2 Stars
Languages: English & French

Little Caesar (1930)
"R-I-C-O, Little Caesar, that’s who!" Edward G. Robinson bellowed into the phone and Hollywood got the message. The 37-year-old Robinson, not gifted with matinee-idol looks, was nonetheless a first-class star. Little Caesar is the tale of pugnacious Caesar Enrico Bandello (Robinson), a hoodlum with a Chicago-sized chip on his shoulder, few attachments, fewer friends and no sense of underworld diplomacy.

Little Caesar DVD special features include:

Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1930 with Newsreel, Spencer Tracy Short The Hard Guy, Cartoon Lady Play Your Mandolin and 1930/31 Trailer Gallery
New Featurette Little Caesar: End of Rico, Beginning of the Antihero
Commentary by Film Historian Richard B. Jewell
1954 Re-release Foreword

The Petrified Forest (1936)
A rundown diner bakes in the Arizona heat. Inside, fugitive killer Duke Mantee sweats out a manhunt, holding disillusioned writer Alan Squier, young Gabby Maple and a handful of others hostage. The Petrified Forest, Robert E. Sherwood’s 1935 Broadway success about survival of the fittest, hit the screen a year later with Leslie Howard and Humphrey Bogart magnificently recreating their stage roles and Bette Davis ably reteaming with her Of Human Bondage co-star Howard. The film presented Bogart with his first major starring role and helped launch his brilliant movie career.

The Petrified Forest DVD special features include:

Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1936 with Newsreel, Musical Short Rhythmitis, Cartoon The Coo Coo Nut Grove and 1936 Trailer Gallery
New Featurette The Petrified Forest: Menace in the Desert
Commentary by Bogart Biographer Eric Lax
Audio-Only Bonus: Radio Adaptation Starring Bogart, Tyrone Power and Joan Bennett

The Roaring Twenties (1939)
The speakeasy era never roared louder than in this gangland chronicle directed by Raoul Walsh (White Heat). Against a backdrop of newsreel-like montages and narration, The Roaring Twenties follows the life of jobless war veteran Eddie Bartlett (James Cagney) who turns bootlegger, dealing in "bottles instead of battles." However, battles await Eddie both inside and out of his growing empire. Outside are territorial feuds and gangland bloodlettings and inside is the treachery of his double-dealing associate George Hally (Humphrey Bogart).

The Roaring Twenties DVD special features include:

Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1939 with Newsreel, Musical Short All Girl Revue, Comedy Short The Great Library Misery, Cartoon Thugs with Dirty Mugs and 1939 Trailer Gallery
New Featurette The Roaring Twenties: The World Moves on
Commentary by Film Historian Lincoln Hurst

Love those 'night at the movies' features.

Mondo Kane 11-04-04 11:35 AM

Originally posted by John Hodson

Contains several restored scenes (deleted from subsequent reissue versions due to enforcement of the Production code) from the original release version of the film, unseen since 1931.

Sweet. Can't wait to see what the box looks like!

SilverScreen 11-05-04 02:34 AM

Oh My God !! I just literally fell out of my chair. This is the BEST DVD related news I have EVER heard!

I can't WAIT for this to come out...

I need it now!

ViewAskewbian 11-05-04 09:05 AM

Earlier in this thread I posted

:jawdrop:

I see my :jawdrop: and raise it :Jawdrop::jawdrop:

chente 01-25-05 01:12 PM

I'm going to rush out and get this at lunchtime today. Has anyone picked up their copy yet? How does it look?

Deke Rivers 01-25-05 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by chente
I'm going to rush out and get this at lunchtime today. Has anyone picked up their copy yet? How does it look?

good luck ..it seems to not be in stock in many locations

natevines 01-25-05 03:18 PM

It was at my costco and I picked it up ($41). I haven't watched it yet, but I'm so eager to. The case design is awesome, and the extras are copious. I've never seen anyone of these, but I know that I'll love them.

chileorgullo 01-25-05 03:36 PM

if they had them at costco individually, did you notice how much?
I'm really only interested in AWDF

natevines 01-25-05 03:44 PM

No, I looked pretty thoroughly at Costco and they didn't have any of them individually. There were 20-30 sets of this.
Anyway, is it true that some stores don't have them? Amazon had it on 'special order', and mine was supposed to ship today but didn't. I cancelled it and got it at costco instead.

jkenn24 01-25-05 04:00 PM

my copy shipped an hour ago from amazon I can't wait to watch these movies!

John Hodson 01-25-05 04:12 PM

Check out the reviews at the HTF here and at DVD Beaver here.

jk4w 01-25-05 05:23 PM

Im on way way to get mine now.
Every Bestbuy in Columbus is sold out, ive got their last copy on hold.

natevines 01-25-05 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by jk4w
Im on way way to get mine now.
Every Bestbuy in Columbus is sold out, ive got their last copy on hold.

Wow, I thought there was a small audience for these sorts of classics, guess I was overly pessimistic :thumbsup:

Oh, and 'Angels' says it's 78 mins on the box, but it's actually 20 minutes longer.

Admiral7 01-25-05 05:51 PM

Only one store in Tulsa, Oklahoma, has the boxed set, and no one has individual releases. Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, Circuit City, Borders and FYE all don't have it at all. Only Suncoast, which is located inside a mall and therefore 30%-40% more than everyone else in town.

ViewAskewbian 01-25-05 06:30 PM

Can't find it anywhere here. :(

But a store I called said a large shipment of them might come in tomorrow. Here's hoping but, damn, wanted to start the marathon tonight.