Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Family Guy Disc With Uncut: Road To Rhode Island...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Family Guy - Volume 1 was released on DVD (back in April, 2003), the fans rejoiced. Sales went nuts, and a 2nd box set was released five months later, containing the rest of the series. Sales continued to go through the roof, so that even as creator/writer/voice actor Seth MacFarlane worked on his new animated series, American Dad, he was called and asked to put Family Guy back into production for a run of brand-new episodes on both Fox and The Cartoon Network (where re-runs of the show aired to high ratings; another reason for the revival of the series).

But fans DID have a complaint about the first box set, and it was all about an edit to the episode "The Road to Rhode Island". This story originally aired in May 2000, about a year-and-a-half before the tragic events of 9/11. In the episode, Brian goes to pick up Stewie from visiting his grandparents in Palm Springs, and they miss their flight home due to Brian's drunkeness. During their car-stealing, train-hopping, hitch-hiking trip back to Rhode Island, they stop by Austin, TX so that Brian can deal with his mother-abandonment issues (synopsis courtesy of TVTome.com). Stated to be MacFarlane's favorite episode, TVTome says it well when they report that "this episode was cut after the September 11th terrorist attack on the World Trade Center to remove a scene involving Osama Bin Ladin [sic] sneaking weapons aboard an aircraft by copying Stewie's use of singing show-tunes to distract baggage handlers when his weapon-filled suitcases go through the X-Ray machine." The cut version is what was included on the first DVD release, much to the chagrin of completist fans (ourselves included).

Fans heard directly from MacFarlane on the matter when TVShowsOnDVD interviewed him in April '03. There, our own Gord Lacey asked him about this cut:

I noticed "Road to Rhode Island"...there's some footage missing; an Osama bin Laden joke was cut.

There was some debate over that. I kinda stayed out of that debate because I didn't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. There are arguments for keeping it in and arguments for taking it out. The argument to keep it in is that's how the show aired and it was broadcast this way and it aired two years before September 11, and so there's a bit of entertainment historical value there. And obviously the argument for taking it out was that because it was one of the biggest tragedies, there was some thought that it might bring down the rest of the episode when that comes up. There was some thought at one point of putting it on separately at the end, and that was really...I guess it was a legal decision that Fox made to leave it out. It's unfortunate in that it's a part of the episode that was produced and was aired and is sort of gone forever, but it's a small loss in the grand scheme of things.

Considering that MacFarlane was scheduled to be ON one of the hijacked flights from that day, it's quite understandable that he has been very torn over the issue of the cuts Fox made. However, fans bemoaned that loss of the original broadcast version of the show, and it has been complained about across the internet loud and long ever since. But MacFarlane and Fox Home Entertainment have been paying attention, and today have announced a remedy to this situation!

Trade magazine Video Business reported today (registration required) that a new DVD is coming in time for the holidays: Family Guy - The Freakin' Sweet Collection arrives in stores on December 14th (the release date isn't "pre-election", but today's surprise announcement surely is!). Here is how VB Editor-In-Chief Scott Hettrick describes this item:

Disc includes 5 of MacFarlane's favorite episodes from the second and third seasons of Family Guy, including the original, uncensored "Road to Rhode Island" and optional commentary by MacFarlane, diabolical baby Stewie, family dog Brian and other cast and crew members.
Commentary by Stewie & Brian? Interesting!...TVTome mentions that "According to an interview with Seth McFarlane on Planet Family Guy, one of the many DVD commentaries cut from the (original) DVD was a commentary on Road to Rhode Island featuring Brian and Stewie. " Maybe this is the one on the new release? We can hope so!

The Video Business article concentrated mainly on the fact that MacFarlane's next series, American Dad, would be heavily promoted on the new DVD release. That show premieres on network television in January, and the single-disc Freakin' Sweet Collection contains a sneak-peek look at American Dad (which VB reports as "centered on an overzealous CIA worker who is head of an odd household that includes a space alien and a goldfish that speaks German"), and talks to MacFarlane about the new 'toon in the process.

List price on Family Guy - The Freakin' Sweet Collection is reported to be $19.99; stay tuned for an official announcement and cover art from Fox. You can buy it now from Amazon.com or Amazon.ca
Seems more like an attempt to promote his new series than give the fans what they want. Although the new commentary is probably good. The "In Character" ones usually are. But it doesn't really have enough value to keep an extra Family Guy disk on my shelf. IMO. I wouldn't mind seeing the joke though...
Old 10-25-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems more like an attempt to promote his new series than give the fans what they want.
MasterCXtreme, let me introduce you to fox. Fox, this is mister MasterCXtreme.

Ok, now that you two have met, let me give you the run down. Fox is all about putting out dvds to hype up a series. 24's season on dvds were released a month before the new season started. Arrested development was released on dvd right before the new season started. Star Wars films have been released right before a new one is released.

Oh, here's something you should have realized about fox. They like double dipping. I, Robot, Day after tomorrow, Predator, Alien(s), Club dread, etc. etc. They like to double dip. It's company motto.

this will be a sort of best of... as I read it. Has a couple of the creators favorite episodes and an unaltered one. Sound good to me. especially at the price.

This is not only promotion for American Dad, Family guy is also coming back. So this will touch those who may need a refresher or just a reminder of the things to come.

Sounds cool to me.
Old 10-25-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So they expect us to pay twenty bucks for a scene that probably lasts two seconds??? This is a crap fest in the face of ALL Family Guy fans. They need to give it out as a free replacement for those who bought Vol. 1.
Old 10-25-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The disc might be worth getting just for the commentary, especially if it'll include some of the other commentaries that were apparently cut from the first DVD release.

The SRP seems a bit high though; $14.99 would be more reasonable, IMO.

Rob
Old 10-25-04, 10:35 PM

Here's a link to a site that provides the cut clips, but unfortunetly the vids are down at the moment.

http://www.familyguyfiles.com/episodes/forbidden.php
Old 10-25-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll glady help contribute to Jack's paycheck for this
Old 10-25-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by calhoun07
So they expect us to pay twenty bucks for a scene that probably lasts two seconds??? This is a crap fest in the face of ALL Family Guy fans. They need to give it out as a free replacement for those who bought Vol. 1.

..... BAW HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAH AHAH AH AHA HAHA HA HA HAHA HAHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Be thankful you will get more family guy next year. Not every fox series is so lucky to come back from the dead. So that "slap to the face of the fans" comment is really silly. Consider it a slap to the fans of tru calling to only have 6 episodes to look forward to. Consider it a slap to the face of futurama fans to never see any other episode. Having MORE of a product out there is no where near a slap to the face of a fan. Not only do you get some neat extras, but you get it at a low price. the disc will most likely be 15 for the first week anyways.

Nothing in life is free and you deserve nothing more than what you already got when you bought the original. Consider this a "best of..." with some neat extras.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 10-25-04 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-25-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm getting it. We wanted the uncut version, they give it to us and we still complain. I wasn't expecting to get it free. I'll gladly pay $15 for the new disc. The commentary is another nice extra.
Old 10-25-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Not worth it to me. I couldn't care less about a small joke they decided to edit out. Glad to see they're putting it out for those who care though.
Old 10-26-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
..... BAW HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAH AHAH AH AHA HAHA HA HA HAHA HAHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Be thankful you will get more family guy next year. Not every fox series is so lucky to come back from the dead. So that "slap to the face of the fans" comment is really silly. Consider it a slap to the fans of tru calling to only have 6 episodes to look forward to. Consider it a slap to the face of futurama fans to never see any other episode. Having MORE of a product out there is no where near a slap to the face of a fan. Not only do you get some neat extras, but you get it at a low price. the disc will most likely be 15 for the first week anyways.

Nothing in life is free and you deserve nothing more than what you already got when you bought the original. Consider this a "best of..." with some neat extras.
Fine. Then I will call it "irresponsible" for Seth McFarlane to allow his personal politics interfere with the content of his show after the scene had been available to the public. Instead of listening to fans the first time around, Fox just ignored the majority and ruled with the minority. And folks in other threads consider this "double dipping." Double dip on a movie? Blasphemy! Double dip on a Family Guy episode, and suddenly people are coming to the defense of the studio? Hey, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

And you're not getting MORE of the product on DVD. On TV, yes, but this is a repackaging of already available episodes with one scene inserted back into one episode. If you want to spend twenty bucks for that, good for you. But other studios consider the cut episode being released in the first place an ERROR and allow for REPLACEMENT DISCS to be issued to upset fans. Like Tom and Jerry for instance. If Tom and Jerry had been left as is and WB came out some time later with a "Best of" disc with the full episodes on it, fans would be uberpissed, and you know it.

Last edited by calhoun07; 10-26-04 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-26-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

He was suppose to be on the flight that crashed into the buildings. If I was the creator, I wuold have mixed reactions to the scene as well. I come to the defense of fox(the studio) for other reasons.

Uberpissed? I think the fans have some respect that fox is going to bring back the series. And double dipping happens all the time. With Predator you got the SE right before the release of AvP. You got a couple extras and a free ticket to a movie. But if you aren't pleased, so be it. But to say it's a slap to the face is extremely silly. It's more product by the standards that they are giving you more commentary tracks and a few insight on the new show as well as an uncut episode. Atleast family guy is returning. And to even think they will issue free dvds to those who purchased the old ones. Come back to reality please.
Old 10-26-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is a special group of people who believe they deserve something simply because they want it. They are called babies, and you cannot reasonably argue with them.
Old 10-26-04, 02:11 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about the JFK/RFK joke in A Hero Sits Nextdoor?
Old 10-26-04, 03:13 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I'll gladly be pruchasing this DVD. Im sure it will be $14.99 its first week, pocket change for an episode unaltered, a new commentary, and supporting the new Family guy episodes.
Old 10-26-04, 08:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Not worth it for me either. I'll stick with the two existing box sets.
Old 10-26-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
But other studios consider the cut episode being released in the first place an ERROR and allow for REPLACEMENT DISCS to be issued to upset fans.
But it wasn't an error, it was a choice. You may think it was the wrong choice, but that doesn't make it an error.

I didn't think the joke was all that great to start with, but I'm glad they're putting the disc out for people who want it. I mean, it should be available as part of the set, but whatever.

"Futurama" fans take heart, though; if this sells well, we can surely expect a disc with the "JFK Jr. Airport" joke in the near future, right?
Old 10-26-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
Not worth it for me either. I'll stick with the two existing box sets.
Same here.
Old 10-26-04, 04:10 PM

i agree that it sucks the episode was edited, but demanding a replacement disc makes absolutely no sense. replacements are sent out when there are errors on a disc. messed up audio or video is cause for a replacement. an edited episode that the company WANTED edited is not an error.
Old 10-26-04, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
But it wasn't an error, it was a choice. You may think it was the wrong choice, but that doesn't make it an error.
sorry i didn't see your post, but this was exactly what i was thinking when calhoun was demanding a replacement disc
Old 10-26-04, 04:43 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure this disc will eventually be had for under ten bucks. I might pick it up then, but it's not a big enough deal for me to pay full price for it.
Old 10-26-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 152 Posts
Not interested in double dipping, or in rescuing my collection from the clutches of political correctness. Plus, if they're trying to snare casual fans, this should be a lot cheaper. The Simpsons single discs all go for ten bucks.

If this was a new collection of the entire series, I might have considered ditching the current boxes and getting this, but it just doesn't seem worth it.
Old 10-26-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I probably wouldn't shell out for this one, but I'd gladly review it.
Old 10-26-04, 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by evitagen
There is a special group of people who believe they deserve something simply because they want it. They are called babies, and you cannot reasonably argue with them.
Cool I find a sig thanks allot.
Old 10-26-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
He was suppose to be on the flight that crashed into the buildings. If I was the creator, I wuold have mixed reactions to the scene as well. I come to the defense of fox(the studio) for other reasons.

Uberpissed? I think the fans have some respect that fox is going to bring back the series. And double dipping happens all the time. With Predator you got the SE right before the release of AvP. You got a couple extras and a free ticket to a movie. But if you aren't pleased, so be it. But to say it's a slap to the face is extremely silly. It's more product by the standards that they are giving you more commentary tracks and a few insight on the new show as well as an uncut episode. Atleast family guy is returning. And to even think they will issue free dvds to those who purchased the old ones. Come back to reality please.
Uh, they do issue replacement DVDs to those who receive ones that contain errors. Back to the Future and Tom And Jerry are two recent discs that I can think of. And if this was Star Wars, and if this was Lucas doing this, the complaining about it would have branched out into five pages of one thread by now. Or did you forget that this type of issue is also a hot potato in other like threads all over this board? Come back to the boards, please.
Old 10-26-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

but as stated, IT WASN'T AN ERROR TO BEGIN WITH. It was a choice made back then because of the creators uneasy stance on the issue. So this doesn't follow the same rules of a company replacing a disc simply because some whiny little fans bitch about how it's such a terrible slap to the face

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.