Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sony Buys Rights to Harold Lloyd Film Catalog

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-04, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony Buys Rights to Harold Lloyd Film Catalog

From Reuters:

The Harold Lloyd Trust has inked a deal with Sony, story here . (I hope)

Separately, the trust also recently concluded a deal with New Line Home Entertainment covering the home video/DVD rights to more than 75 of Lloyd's films. New Line has not yet announced plans for how it will package and roll out the films.
Send someone to Hades for some Ice Cubes!

Tim
Old 10-21-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So Sony's acquiring the theatrical rights to the films, while New Line (part of Time Warner) will have the DVD rights. Seems like an odd arrangement (especially given the limited audience for these films), but I really don't know anything about how the entertainment industry works.

Just based on how Time Warner typically handles DVDs of classic films, and how Sony handles the same, I'm glad Time Warner and not Sony has the DVD rights...
Old 10-21-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Walter Neff

Just based on how Time Warner typically handles DVDs of classic films, and how Sony handles the same, I'm glad Time Warner and not Sony has the DVD rights...
Old 10-21-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news indeed!
Old 10-21-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally posted by Walter Neff
As a case in point. Time Warner's cable channel TCM has been showing most of Lloyd's movies since April 2003 and the prints are well preserved and scored.
Old 10-21-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So does this mean we may finally be getting "The Freshman" and "Safety Last" in some kind of package (hopefully together in a box set)?
Old 10-21-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally posted by Sex Fiend
So does this mean we may finally be getting "The Freshman" and "Safety Last" in some kind of package (hopefully together in a box set)?
I think we can expect all of the Lloyd silent features and talkies in 2-4 box sets along with most of his surviving short films as extras.
Old 10-27-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
YES! Finally.

I read in Video Business News? that the DVDs will probably be out mid-2005. Hope it's not delayed.
Old 10-27-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Damfino
As a case in point. Time Warner's cable channel TCM has been showing most of Lloyd's movies since April 2003 and the prints are well preserved and scored.
Very nice indeed. It'll be a pleasure to dump my DVD-Rs of these broadcasts & get the real deal.
Old 01-06-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Brief update:

About one month ago, Suzanne Lloyd said that the DVDs would be available in the fall of 2005.
Old 01-06-05, 05:42 AM
Defunct Account

Thanks for the update Buford, I hadn't heard that.
Old 01-06-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Brief update:

About one month ago, Suzanne Lloyd said that the DVDs would be available in the fall of 2005.
Wow. There is a God.

Better go tell Penn & Teller.
Old 01-06-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-07-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't wait...love to watch these over a weekend
Old 06-21-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cameron
can't wait...love to watch these over a weekend

It would be a long weekend. There's quite a few films and shorts that will be coming out.

:buford:
Old 06-21-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hoo-ah, Hot Water, here I come.

-JP
Old 06-21-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Hoo-ah, Hot Water, here I come.

-JP
...great flick. Just saw it today!

Put me down for one of everything Harold Lloyd.
Old 08-02-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Leonard Maltin recently posted an article on his website, stating that:

I’ve been busy during the past few months working on a variety of DVD projects, all of which will see fruition by the end of the year: ... the Harold Lloyd comedy library, set for release this fall from New Line Home Entertainment...
Nothing new, except it's nice to see that the DVD releases are still on track.
Old 08-02-05, 09:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
ho hum...

I'm just waiting for the definitive list of specific films and shorts.
Old 08-02-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What? You mean Dr. Zoidberg's uncle? I'm there!
Old 08-15-05, 03:05 PM

THe Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection: November 15th

Official Press Release (from Davis DVD):
HOLLYWOOD LEGEND COMES TO LIFE IN THE HAROLD LLOYD COMEDY COLLECTION

AVAILABLE ON DVD NOVEMBER 15

New Line Home Entertainment Gives Film Luminary Harold Lloyd the Star Treatment with a Seven-Disc Collectors Set that Restores the Comedy Icon's Masterworks

Los Angeles, CA (August 15, 2005) -- Having appeared in more than 200 films and widely considered to be one of cinema's most respected comic geniuses, Harold Lloyd was one of Hollywood's first true movie stars. Now, entertainment enthusiasts of all ages can enjoy the work of the man who inspired generations of acting greats with The Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection, available on DVD on November 15, 2005, from New Line Home Entertainment. Digitally remastered, restored and rescored, the three-volume, seven-disc DVD collection includes 15 feature films, [13] shorts and a bonus disc containing a treasure chest of extras including Harold Lloyd's home movies, star tributes, photo galleries, all-new interviews and featurettes, and a 3D bonus photo disc with a pair of 3D photo glasses. The Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection is available at a $89.95 SRP. Each volume can also be purchased separately at a $29.95 SRP. The DVD order due date is October 11, 2005.

With a career that spanned more than 34 years, Harold Lloyd essentially created the feature-length film. Best known for his comedy movies including The Freshman, Speedy and Safety Last! - which features one of Hollywood's most iconic images of Harold Lloyd hanging from the hands of a giant clock - the influence of his physical comedy is evident in the performances of many of today's leading actors. His trademark combination of physical skill, well-developed characters and keen comic timing have influenced such acclaimed talents as Lucille Ball, Jim Carrey, Dustin Hoffman and Johnny Depp.

"Harold Lloyd was a true cinema icon whose unique brand of filmmaking and comic timing have impacted generations of movie-going audiences," said Justine Brody, senior vice president of marketing, New Line Home Entertainment. "The Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection is a virtual film history treasure trove, offering viewers of all ages an outstanding selection of remastered, restored and rescored Hollywood gems."

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES* AND EPISODE GUIDE

Volume 1
Disc 1:
• Feature films and shorts - Girl Shy (1924), Safety Last! (1923), An Eastern Westerner (1920), Ask Father (1919), From Hand to Mouth (1919)
• Commentary by Leonard Maltin director and Rich Correll on Safety Last!
• Production and publicity galleries
• Animated menus
• 4x3 full frame versions
• 2M mono audio

Disc 2:
• Feature films and shorts - The Milky Way (1936), The Cat's Paw (1934), Why Worry? (1923)
• Featurette "Harold's Hollywood: Then and Now"
• English subtitles and closed captions
• Animated menus
• Spanish subtitles - on feature films
• 2M mono audio

Volume 2
Disc 1:
• Feature films and shorts - Kid Brother (1927), The Freshman (1925), Bumping Into Broadway (1919), Billy Blazes, Esq. (1919)
• Commentary by Leonard Maltin, Rich Correll and film historian Richard Bann on The Freshman
• Commentary by Harold Lloyd's granddaughter, Suzanne Lloyd, author Annette Lloyd, and Rich Correll on Kid Brother
• Animated menus
• 2M mono audio

Disc 2:
• Feature films and shorts - Feet First (1930), Grandma' Boy (1922), Dr. Jack (1922), Now or Never (1921), High and Dizzy (1920)
• "Scoring for Comedy" Featurette
• Spanish subtitles
• Animated menus
• 2M mono audio

Volume 3
Disc 1:
• Feature films and shorts - Speedy (1928), Hot Water (1924), Never Weaken (1921), Haunted Spooks (1920),
• Commentary by Suzanne Lloyd, Annette Lloyd and Rich Correll on Speedy and Haunted Spooks
• Animated menus
• 2M mono audio

Disc 2:
• Feature films and shorts - Movie Crazy (1932), For Heaven's Sake (1926), I Do (1921), Among Those Present (1921), A Sailor-Made Man (1921), Get Out and Get Under (1920), Number Please? (1920)
• "Greenacres" Featurette
• Productions and publicity galleries
• Spanish subtitles

Bonus Disc (Collector?s Set Only)
• Rare home movies
• Introductions from film critic and historian Leonard Maltin
• Photo galleries, lobby cards and production stills
• Comparisons between domestic and international prints
• "Then-and-now" location comparisons
• Tributes and interviews with family, friends and legendary celebrities including Debbie Reynolds, Robert Wagner, Tab Hunter and director John Landis
• Rogues' gallery of autographed photos of celebrities, presidents and sports heroes
• Scrapbook collection - Reviews, programs, etc.
• 3-D photos (3-D glasses included)
• Over 30 featurettes
• And more!

*DVD special features subject to change.

Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection, The (Giftset)
SRP: $89.95
Catalog: N8445
UPC: 794043844522

Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection, The (Dbl DVD) (Volume 1)
SRP: $29.95
Catalog: N8446
UPC: 794043844621

Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection, The (Dbl DVD) (Volume 2)
Catalog: N8447
UPC: 794043844720

Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection, The (Dbl DVD) (Volume 3)
Catalog: N8448
UPC: 794043844829
Old 08-15-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn. Thats awesome. Cool box too.
Old 08-15-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While this is good news, I must say that I've been spoiled by the way Warner prices their box sets (significantly lower than total for individual DVDs.) If this box had been priced at $69.95 MSRP, it would have been a "no-brainer" purchase for me. Instead, I may just pick up the three individual releases through CH as fulfillment titles.
Old 08-15-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But you won't get the bonus disc.

I got the new Video Business and it has a story in this week's mag.
Old 08-15-05, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by RevKarl
While this is good news, I must say that I've been spoiled by the way Warner prices their box sets (significantly lower than total for individual DVDs.) If this box had been priced at $69.95 MSRP, it would have been a "no-brainer" purchase for me. Instead, I may just pick up the three individual releases through CH as fulfillment titles.
The price seems ridiculously low to me: 7 jam-packed discs, 15 features, 13 shorts (the press release erroneously said 10), 5 commentaries, 30 featurettes, HL's 3-D photos (with 3-D glasses that likely will look like HL's trademark round black spectacles), home movies ...

Granted, the Harold Lloyd Trust (aka Suzanne Lloyd) has been planning this release for years. They paid for the restoration of the elements before a contract was ever signed with a distributor (I have been very critical in the past of the Trust's insistence on an all-or-nothing package deal, in that it appeared to delay the release of HL's flms unnecessarily---in retrospect, there may have been a method to their madness).

New Line--although it exists within the Time Warner fold--has ZERO experience in producing and marketing silent films; they've taken a substantial risk in signing to distribute these 80+ year old films. As a result, I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd tried to recoup their investment by charging $120-150 for the box instead of $90.

While the sporadic TCM broadcasts of HL's films have created some demand, Lloyd has nowhere near the following of Chaplin (and probably less than Keaton and Laurel & Hardy as well), so New Line could've been forgiven for issuing a stripped-down set. If the specs can be trusted, it appears they've exceeded even my wildest dreams in terms of both content and value. Factoring in the inevitable online discounts, this set should be selling for under $60, which is mind-blowing for me. The pricing should in theory attract a lot of curious film lovers who might never have purchased a silent film on DVD before. God, I hope they don't lose their shirts.

Hats off to New Line (and the Trust). I publicly take back my earlier criticisms. On paper at least, this may well be the classic film release of the year.

Last edited by FilmFanSea; 08-15-05 at 07:06 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.