Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Troma's Make your own damn movie box set

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Troma's Make your own damn movie box set

Anybody seen this in the new troma catalog...the book was funny. No release date yet, but it's on the way.
Old 10-13-04, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The box set is currently slated for release on March 29, 2005. Details on the set are available at:

http://www.tromateamvideo.com/title/...own-damn-movie

We are also seeking input from fans and filmmakers about what content they'd like to see included on the set. More info on that is available here:

http://www.troma.com/makeyourownmovie/

Last edited by Chris Lanphear; 10-13-04 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-14-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This looks like it'll be terrific. I will definatly pick it up.
Old 10-16-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sounds good
Old 12-20-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chris...anymore news on the front with this one...also whats on the new Toxie 21st ann. disc
Old 01-02-05, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the troma page is down tonite....update on the way?
Old 01-02-05, 12:31 PM

Because of a hardware problem, our sites have been down for a couple of days. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 01-15-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Found this on the troma site...its running again. Lloyd's books are funny.

updated box art

MAKE YOUR OWN DAMN MOVIE!

The best-selling novel by Lloyd Kaufman is becoming an incredible five-disc DVD box set, which hours of informative demonstrations and interviews with a number of filmdom's best and brightest visionaries.

Troma recently sent out a questionaire to a select group of our freinds, asking them what they wanted from the Make Your Own Money-Making Movie box set...

Dear Troma Friend,

Troma has always listened to and been guided by our fans and this is one of the reasons why we have been successful over the last 30 years.

A number of you have suggested that we produce a "visual" DVD Boxed set as an illustrative companion piece to my recent book, "Make Your Own Damn Movie" (St. Martin's Press)...and so we have decided to do this!

Now we need some specific advice from you about what you want to see in these Make Your Own Movie DVD's.

So far, this 5-disc set will include behind-the-scenes informative documentaries filmed by us on the set of actual movies; in many different countries, a workshop deconstruction edition of my early no-budget feature-length theatrical film "The Battle of Love's Return," and a number of interviews that I have conducted with filmmakers like Trey Parker (Cannibal the Musical, South Park), John G. Avildsen (Rocky), Eli Roth (Cabin Fever) and many others, asking for advice and filmmaking secrets of success for new aspiring filmmakers. What else?

What elements do you believe should be stressed and included in this Boxed set? What filmmaking secrets do you personally want revealed?

Please contact me with any suggestions and thoughts that you have about this project, it would be greatly appreciated. This is a very ambitious and difficult project and we want it to be the best. That's why we need your wisdom.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Have a great day and remember, Toxie loves you!

Lloyd
Old 02-11-05, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

saw lloyd talking it up on the video game channel...just caught the end of it....i'm sure they will re-run it....
Old 02-12-05, 10:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

It was wildly entertaining! It appeared in one of my favorite shows, which I discovered from this very site...It plays 3 or 4 times per day and is called SCREEN SAVERS on the cable channel G4 TECH-TV...catch the TROMA rerun episode if you can!
Old 05-01-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from davis dvd

Make Your Own Damn Movie

Legendary filmmaker and Troma founder Lloyd Kaufman brings you Make Your Own Damn Movie, a five-disc crash course in filmmaking for anyone who has ever wanted to make movies but didn't know how. Using real-life examples from Kaufman's own career, the set will show you how to handle each step in the filmmaking process: from scriptwriting and financing (and getting a cast and crew for no money) to marketing and distribution. Also included are exclusive filmmaking secrets and advice from Trey Parker & Matt Stone, George A. Romero, John G. Avildsen, Stan Lee, Eli Roth, Hershell Gordon Lewis, John Badham, Bill Lustig, Larry Cohen and many others.

From Troma.com <---also has the tv commercial online

In Lloyd Kaufman’s 2003 book “Make Your Own Damn Movie,” the legendary filmmaker cinematic masterfully showed up-and-coming artists how to buck the mainstream and get their movies made and seen. Based upon the phenomenal reaction from fans and fellow filmmakers alike, Kaufman and Team Troma has put together this incredible five DVD box set which will show you, step by step, how to take your truly independent vision from conception to completion! The Make Your Own Damn Movie DVD Box Set is a hilarious and enlightening crash course in filmmaking for anyone who has ever wanted to make movies but didn’t know how. Using real-life examples from Kaufman’s own career, the Make Your Own Damn Movie DVD Box Set will show you how to handle each step in the filmmaking process:

Scriptwriting
Financing
Getting a cast and crew for no money
Pre-production
Production
Special Effects
Post-production
Marketing and distribution
Film festivals
and much more!
The Make Your Own Damn Movie DVD Box Set also includes bonus lessons, on how to:

Make Your Own Damn Video Store
Make Your Own Damn Comic Book Shop
Make Your Own Damn Movie Theatre
Make Your Own Damn Film Festival
and much much more!
Included in this box set are exclusive secrets of success, anecdotes and candid personal advice from a wide variety of filmmakers, including:

Trey Parker and Matt Stone (South Park)
George A. Romero (Night of the Living Dead)
Academy Award®-winning director John G. Avildsen (Rocky)
Hershell Gordon Lewis (Blood Feast)
Spider-Man® creator Stan Lee
Eli Roth (Cabin Fever)
John Badham (Saturday Night Fever)
Bill Lustig (Maniac Cop)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle co-creator Kevin Eastman
Larry Cohen (It’s Alive)
This five DVD Box Set also features:

Examples of Making Your Own Damn Movie from around the world, including France, Germany, England, Toronto, Kansas, Texas, California and Russia
Three feature-length behind-the-scenes documentaries: Farts of Darkness and Apocalypse Soon (filmmaking), and All The Love You Cannes (marketing and distribution)
A special workshop deconstruction edition of Lloyd Kaufman’s 1971 film The Battle of Love’s Return
Using the world-famous “Troma system” of filmmaking and marketing, which has brought you films like The Toxic Avenger, Trey Parker and Matt Stone’s Cannibal! The Musical and Kevin Costner in Sizzle Beach USA, you’ll be making your own damn movie in no time!
Old 05-02-05, 01:27 AM
Cool New Member

This set sounds amazing; I'm definitely going to pick it up, along with Lloyd's book.
Old 05-26-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bill Gibron's long review is up

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16017
Old 05-26-05, 11:27 PM

It's Bill Lustig, not "Listig".
Old 05-29-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the best price to pick up this set along with the book? At Amazon it comes out to right around $45.
Old 05-29-05, 11:20 PM

Amazon has a "Limited Edition" with book. 43.00 I believe.
Old 05-29-05, 11:38 PM

why would anyone buy this? pointless.

first troma needs to learn how to make a film before schooling others.
Old 05-30-05, 12:32 AM

Hey LucyMonostone,

How many movies have you written or directed that have been nationally and internationally distributed, won countless awards and retrospectives at film festivals around the world, or generated a loyal, worldwide fanbase? When's the last time you lectured at NYU? Or published two best-selling books?
Old 05-30-05, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Come on Chris, who HASN'T done all of that?

I can't find the combo on Amazon anymore (I saw it when I posted earlier, but it was $48.xx, and now it's nowhere to be found) so I just went ahead and ordered the DVD set and the book separately. Not bad at all for $45.xx!
Old 05-30-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LucyMonostone
why would anyone buy this? pointless.

first troma needs to learn how to make a film before schooling others.
because its entertaining. Lloyd has some great stories and insight. The books were a good read. Not going to flame your skill, put if you have a movie I would love you to let us see it...
Old 05-30-05, 12:44 AM

the whole where is your movie retort doesn't work as i am not selling anything or teaching anything i am a movie enthusiast not a filmmaker.

anyway i am sure troma knows they make crap for movies i think i read once they admitted their films sucked.
Old 05-30-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

then quit the threadcraps and get out of dodge...
Old 05-30-05, 12:56 AM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846 Here is the 'LE'
Old 05-30-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always wondered how to plaster those titles and credits onto a movie if you're filming, do you cut-out colored filters in the shape of letters and glue them onto the lens?
Old 05-30-05, 01:01 AM

You superimpose them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.