DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   what DVDs do you use to show off your home theater (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/390300-what-dvds-do-you-use-show-off-your-home-theater.html)

dmikester1 10-12-04 02:17 PM

what DVDs do you use to show off your home theater

I know this question has been asked a few times before, but i searched for like 20 minutes and couldn't find anything. I just bought a new subwoofer to complement my 5 speaker surround system. Its a Klipsch RW-12 if you're wondering. But now I'd like to get some good DVDs to use to show off my home audio system. I have "Behind Enemy Lines" and "The Haunting" which I heard are good for that purpose. What other DVDs would you suggest?
Thanks so much
Mike

matrixrok9 10-12-04 02:19 PM

FOTR - EE Mines of Moria battle
Black Hawk Down - superbit
Bad Boys 2

steebo777 10-12-04 02:21 PM

I know you said you searched, but just using the word demo in the search brought up all of these threads answering your question:

Best sub demo discs

Subwoofer demo discs

What's a good movie to demo my setup?

superdeluxe 10-12-04 02:28 PM

ID4

Drexl 10-12-04 02:51 PM

You don't really need to buy any. In addition to the 2 you mentioned, according to the link to your collection, I see you already have:

Cast Away
All 3 Die Hard films
Fight Club
Gladiator
Independence Day
Jurassic Park and The Lost World (although DTS versions of these would be better)
The Lion King
The Matrix
Saving Private Ryan (DTS)
Spider-Man
Star Wars: Episode I
Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition
Twister
U-571

and more...

If you're looking to add to those, I would suggest the other Star Wars movies and the Lord of the Rings movies (preferably the EE's)

cutmeowntroat 10-12-04 07:14 PM

Some more uncommon...

Yes, nice collection you have there dmikester1!

In addition to the mentioned above, I would suggest the following:

X2 - Sequel to your X-Men. Nice FX, not so much for your sub but all the same. Worth an evening. If you liked X, you want to have X2.

Sleepy Hollow - Takes place mostly in forrest at night, with many leaves and owles ... and headless horsemen ... riding hard, deep and loud. And a fabulous score from Mr. Elfman.

And some from our friends across the ocean:

Metropolis - A well done Anime with a great - kind of bluesy - score and many distinct sounds, due to large scenes underground in sewers and places. Also some LFE grumbling of tumbling towers.

Spirited Away - An absolutely wonderful movie about responsability and a witch and gods taking a relaxing bath. The score is totaly enthralling. No single scene is a show off, but the entire feature.Try to get a dts edition. It's worth it!

Azumi - A japanese Kill-Bill-like movie showing great swordplay and even some deep meaning. The sound of the final battle is one of the things you would really miss, if you'd be watching it in stereo - which I wouldn't understand.

Shroud 10-12-04 11:12 PM

The Haunting DTS Insane Bass during the creaking pipes part.

Minority Report DTS At the car factory with the Sonic Guns

Finding Nemo The Darla scene where she taps on the fishtank, very unexpected bass.

Master and Commander DTS The opening battle, the cannon fire is unreal, the wood splintering as I hear the cannon ball go from my front speakers to my rear speakers.