Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you always buy the DVD of the movie you watched at the show?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you always buy the DVD of the movie you watched at the show?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of the DVDs that I own I had already seen in one venue or another but in no way will everything I've seen (that is or will be on DVD format) end up in my collection. I'm one of those kids that watched way too much TV and saw a weekly double feature at the theatre growing up. As an adult I cut down on the TV but still went to the movies weekly. Most of the stuff I have no desire to see again, once is enough .
Old 10-12-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on the extras
Old 10-12-04, 01:44 PM
Retired

Not always. I don't see a ton of movies, and I'm a pretty good judge of whether or not I'll like a movie before I go, so I do buy a good bit of movies I see in theaters.

But it has to be something I know I'll want to watch again and again over the years for me to buy it.
Old 10-12-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I was younger (Chicago area), going to the movies was always referred to as "going to the show". We'd ask, "What's at the show this week?", etc. I haven't used that expression for a long time and it brought a smile when I read the thread title.
Old 10-12-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Never heard of movies referred to as "the show" but i'd say i only buy about half the movies i watch.
Old 10-12-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would say always and that is because lately I don't go to the theater that much (newborn). But what I have been doing is that if I would have gone to the theater to see the movie than I buy it on DVD. In my case it is turning out to be cheaper this way.
Old 10-12-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My sister-in-law runs the local 2-dollar theater, so since everything is free, my wife and i tend to see everything that we possibly can. I do wind up buying quite a bit of them because I'm easy to please, but I definitely wouldn't get all of them.
Old 10-12-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to buy a lot of stuff I saw at the theater on DVD, but I haven't been as compelled to go to the theater nearly as much recently. I've probably only seen two movies in the theater this year, compared to an average of at least two a month in past years. This really hasn't been my year as far as content I'm interested in.

As for the term "the show", my older, Southern relatives refer to the movies as "the show" (one aunt even refers to it as "the picture show")
Old 10-12-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard 'The Picture Show' but never heard the reference 'The Show'. Anyway the answer is no. I would say its about 50-50 split. I go to the movies a lot and see a lot of crap I wouldn't buy on DVD.
Old 10-12-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only the films I see AND like, of course, otherwise most of my DVDs are blind buys (or ones I rented, but never saw at the "show" or theater.)

If I really liked a movie at the theater I'm always excited to get the DVD so I can watch it whenever I want (that's why I'm so much looking forward to getting next month's "Harry Potter," "Hero," and "Spider-Man 2" discs.)
Old 10-12-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally posted by BigDan
I used to buy a lot of stuff I saw at the theater on DVD, but I haven't been as compelled to go to the theater nearly as much recently. I've probably only seen two movies in the theater this year, compared to an average of at least two a month in past years. This really hasn't been my year as far as content I'm interested in.
Sounds like me. Combine that with the backlog of blind buys I already have and haven't seen, and by the time I catch up the movies in the theater I might see now will be on DVD by then. For the price of two movie tickets or less (not counting the confiscatory concessions fees) I can own most films on DVD. All it takes is some patience and in the long run I am way ahead.