DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Why are Charlie Brown Dvds Soo Expensive? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/389844-why-charlie-brown-dvds-soo-expensive.html)

davey_4964 10-09-04 03:40 PM

Why are Charlie Brown Dvds Soo Expensive?

I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and saw "It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown Dvd". It was $12.39, i think that's too expensive.
All the other Charlie Brown specials are high too. Last year "A Charlie Brown Christmas" was $14.44 plus tax.
I have seen the boxset in stores but it's usually in the $45 range. Will Paramount ever lower the prices on these titles?

Judremy 10-09-04 03:48 PM

There was a cheap box set at Bestprices & Buy.com. Go look at those and you'll see the difference. I paid $14.xx including shipping for the holiday box set.

smcguire 10-11-04 12:18 PM

Actually, they have lowered the price on the DVDs - when they first came out the "A Charlie Brown Christmas," "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving," and "It's the Great Pumpkin" DVDs all had a list price of $19.99, which was lowered this summer to $16.99 or $14.99 depending on the disc. It's not much of a price reduction, but they have done it.

And for what it's worth, the discs do contain a second (lesser known) special as well (and some of the more recent Peanuts DVD releases have 2 extra shows).

All of this year's Peanuts DVD releases started at list price $14.99.

I believe the Bestprices and Buy.com deal on the box set is gone. However, you can get the box set of the three big specials as Amazon for $30; and I've seen a box set with 5 DVDs - Christmas/Thanksgiving/Great Pumpkin/Easter Beagle/Charlie Brown Valentine - for $40-something at Costco. (That box with 5 DVDs seems only to be available at Costco or similar warehouse stores, not on-line or at Best Buy.)

Scott McGuire
Peanuts TV Page - http://web.mit.edu/smcguire/www/peanuts-tv.html

Chrisedge 10-11-04 12:21 PM

I was waiting for this, and picked it up for the $14? or so for the box at Bestprices.

Still sealed sitting on my TV

GregS 10-11-04 01:38 PM

so many great Peanuts titles need to be released, id love a 2-disc DVD on the This Is America, Charlie Brown special. I remember having all of them on Beta, hell i think they are still in my basement

emhello 10-11-04 01:46 PM

Been waiting for 'A Boy Named Charlie Brown' and 'Race For Your Life Charlie Brown' for a long time now.

GregS 10-11-04 01:49 PM

Originally posted by emhello
Been waiting for 'A Boy Named Charlie Brown' and 'Race For Your Life Charlie Brown' for a long time now.
yea, and id love Flash Begal too

bmello 10-11-04 08:29 PM

Re: Why are Charlie Brown Dvds Soo Expensive?

Originally posted by davey_4964
i think that's too expensive.

You could say that about 90% of DVDs out there.

shelland 10-11-04 09:23 PM

Just saw the 3 box set of Christmas/Thanksgiving/Halloween at Sam's Club last weekend for right around $30. I think I paid around $35 for the same set at Costco a couple years ago.

jblackie 10-12-04 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Chrisedge
I was waiting for this, and picked it up for the $14? or so for the box at Bestprices.

Still sealed sitting on my TV

ditto. And I -other- feel guilty about it, but am getting over my guilt now that I see at least ONE other person has shared my experience.

Rypro 525 10-12-04 09:36 AM

im waiting for paramount to get off their asses and release the movies.

CasEjonz 11-27-04 09:48 PM

Just watched Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, and my wife pointed out that at the end of the movie, Woodstock partakes in a Thanksgiving turkey with Snoopy, does this not make Woodstock a cannibal by virtue of eating a fellow "bird?"

Gerry P. 11-27-04 09:58 PM

Originally posted by CasEjonz
does this not make Woodstock a cannibal by virtue of eating a fellow "bird?"
It just makes it accurate. Birds are cannibals!

emhello 11-28-04 12:59 AM

Why aren't 'A Boy Named Charlie Brown' and 'Race For Your Life Charlie Brown' available on DVD?

Ephemeral_Life 11-28-04 12:47 PM

Originally posted by CasEjonz
Just watched Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, and my wife pointed out that at the end of the movie, Woodstock partakes in a Thanksgiving turkey with Snoopy, does this not make Woodstock a cannibal by virtue of eating a fellow "bird?"
Not really - unless you consider yourself a cannibal each time you eat a fellow mammal.

fliggil 03-18-05 08:21 PM

Just bringing this back in hope someone might have any ideas on Paramounts future plans for the Peanuts gang. It's been like 5, 6 months since the last one was released I believe (I Want A Dog For Christmas, Charlie Brown) which should mean there are 9 total available on DVD if I counted right. I believe there were somewhere around 35-40 of these specials in total, and there's gotta be a ton of us Peanuts fans out there, what's Paramount waiting for!?

davey_4964 03-18-05 11:29 PM

I would love some more peanuts on dvd too. Prices are getting lower. I found both Valentine dvds at Wal-Mart for $9.99 each. The Easter Beagle dvd was higher..i bought it at K-Mart for $12.99.
I hope we get some new releases soon.

JP5683 03-19-05 02:37 AM

One of my friends is always complaining every year he wants the Christmas special but refuses to pay more than $12 for something that is less than 30 minutes, no matter how classic.

There are tons of 'asian' discs out there of other Peanuts stuff. Too bad they haven't been officially released here yet.

lordzeppelin 03-19-05 09:42 AM

I got a bunch of them cheap from Deep Discount...I can't remember what I paid though.

aynrandgirl 03-20-05 02:52 PM

How good is the quality of these releases? Are they mastered from restored prints?

DodgingCars 03-20-05 05:26 PM

We picked up our holiday box set for about $25 -- that's about $8 a dvd

snoopygirl 03-21-05 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
How good is the quality of these releases? Are they mastered from restored prints?

Yes, Paramount did that when they re-issued the VHS tapes. The DVDs look amazing, I just wish Paramount would be a bit more logical in their releases; specifically why not put out all the "This is America" discs together instead of sticking an episode here and there.

If you bookmark the link provided in Scott's post above
Scott's Peanuts video page , you'll see all the latest release info. Peanuts videos are his specialty. :)

fliggil 03-21-05 06:14 PM

Paramount = blockhead. Peanuts has got to be so easily bankable for them, there's enough Peanuts fans from like the past 30-40 years, and these are basically barebones, how could they not be raking it in from these?

Upper pylon 3 03-22-05 07:58 AM

Count me in as someone who would love to have these collected in a box set or two. I haven't yet broke down and started buying the single discs, but I can't wait forever.

island007 03-22-05 01:29 PM

I got this from COSTCO (Peanuts Classic: The Complete Holiday Collection) last year. It was about $35 and has 5 DVDS. The thing is they all have two specials, except 'Be My Valentine' which has three.