DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Best Buy Star Trek bonus discs - worth it?

Old 10-08-04, 01:22 PM

Best Buy Star Trek bonus discs - worth it?

I notice the Best Buy boxed sets the Star Trek DVD (TNG, DS9, VOY and TOS) all include a unique bonus disc.

Trek fans -- is that bonus disc worth buying the sets from Best Buy (even though I can usually find the bonus-free sets cheaper online or used)?
Old 10-08-04, 01:34 PM
mxv

The fact that I got the box set at Sam's for a full 20 bucks cheaper than what best buy charges made me not care about the bonus disc at all for ST TOS.
Old 10-08-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

buy them if you're a completist, otherwise, go for the better price.
Old 10-08-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Best Buy Star Trek bonus discs - worth it?

Originally posted by Unicron
I notice the Best Buy boxed sets the Star Trek DVD (TNG, DS9, VOY and TOS) all include a unique bonus disc.
Strictly speaking, this isn't correct. The first several seasons of TNG didn't come with anything. I think at least one of them came with a CD-Rom, as opposed to a DVD, not sure. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I've yet to get around to collecting the 'Star Trek's. If you want full, correct info, there's a thread around here of *all* the Best Buy promo discs.
Old 10-08-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Best Buy Star Trek bonus discs - worth it?

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Strictly speaking, this isn't correct. The first several seasons of TNG didn't come with anything. I think at least one of them came with a CD-Rom, as opposed to a DVD, not sure. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I've yet to get around to collecting the 'Star Trek's. If you want full, correct info, there's a thread around here of *all* the Best Buy promo discs.
It wasn't until Season 4 of the TNG season sets that Paramount got the bright idea of withholding a featurette or two from each season for the BB Bonus discs... Bastards...

TNG sets 1-3 *did* have exclusive discs, but they were CD-Rom stuff... The first season had a CD-Rom that was sold commercially in the mid-90s... featuring a primitive CGI walkthru of the ship, and all the "next week" preview trailers for the series... Seasons 2 & 3 came with audiobooks of random TNG novels in mp3 form on disc.

Me? I'm enough of a completist to need the BB Bonus DVDs. But I can tell you, I don't respect myself much afterward.