Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Ed Wood DVD same as recalled version?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-04, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to do a search, but I couldn't get it to work, so I apologize if this question has already been asked.

Does anybody know if the Ed Wood "Special Edition" DVD coming out in October is the same as the recalled one I bought earlier this year? If not, what is different?

Also, what was the "official" reason that Ed Wood DVD was recalled?

Thanks!
Old 09-07-04, 05:57 PM

There was a documentary on cross dressers removed by request of the director.
Old 09-07-04, 06:26 PM

I don't know if that was meant as a joke, but there is no documentary on cross dressing on the Ed Wood DVD. ;-)

Now, does somebody have a serious response?
Old 09-07-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by SeattleSteve
I don't know if that was meant as a joke, but there is no documentary on cross dressing on the Ed Wood DVD. ;-)

Now, does somebody have a serious response?
That was the serious response.
Old 09-07-04, 06:40 PM

Sorry if I offended anybody. As I said, I didn't know if that was a serious post, but I just looked at my copy of Ed Wood and there is no cross-dressing documentary on it. Does anybody else have a copy of the DVD that actually contains this doc?
Old 09-07-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry if I offended anybody. As I said, I didn't know if that was a serious post, but I just looked at my copy of Ed Wood and there is no cross-dressing documentary on it. Does anybody else have a copy of the DVD that actually contains this doc?
My Ed Wood disc has the "When Carol Met Larry" featurette gjamesm was referring to. It's not mentioned on the back of the case, unless you count the "and more".

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 09-07-04 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-07-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SEARCH is your friend.

Ed Wood Rare? - Here's What's Missing From The New Edition~

Originally posted by Mao
From Video Business:

AUG. 27 | After two delays, Buena Vista Home Entertainment has slated the Ed Wood Special Edition DVD for an Oct. 19 release, but it'll have one less bonus feature than originally planned.

A cross-dressing retrospective was cut from the original lineup at the request of director Tim Burton, sources said.

The 1994 movie stars Johnny Depp as the legendary '50s director who was hailed as the worst director of all time and dressed in angora sweaters. Among the movies he helmed was the science-fiction flick Plan 9 From Outer Space.

The special edition was first scheduled for release in 2002. Then, the DVD was duplicated earlier this year and shipped to some stores for a Feb. 3 release, but BVHE pulled it days before because Burton hadn't signed off on the special edition.

Copies that made it out were immediately posted on eBay, where they were selling for as much as $150. The October release carries a $29.99 suggested retail price.

Even without the cross-dressing feature, the new special edition is packed with bonus features. Those include a commentary with Burton, actor Martin Landau and filmmakers; an on-set tour hosted by actor Johnny Depp; five deleted scenes including a rendition of Que Sera Sera by Bill Murray; a music video; and featurettes with composers and designers.
Old 09-07-04, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by RobCA
My disc has the "When Carol Met Larry" featurette that gjamesm was referring to. It's not mentioned on the back of the case, unless you count the "and more".

Rob

Yeah, that was it. I just looked at the back of my DVD.

I guess I never bothered to watch that extra.

I just took a quick look at it. A 9 minute feature on cross-dressing similar to what you would see on some shlocky "E" TV network show. You aren't missing anything by not getting this feature, trust me!

Thanks for the info everybody!

Steve

Last edited by SeattleSteve; 09-07-04 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-08-04, 03:48 AM
Banned

How many people are going to pay extra for the edition with that 9-minute extra on it?

Surely, some people just won't be able to live with themselves if they don't get the COMPLETE version. Anybody? Anybody? (Oh well, it was worth a try.)
Old 10-08-04, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by PC_Hater
How many people are going to pay extra for the edition with that 9-minute extra on it?

Surely, some people just won't be able to live with themselves if they don't get the COMPLETE version. Anybody? Anybody? (Oh well, it was worth a try.)
Most of them already have. As for me, I enjoy the film, but not enough to get caught up in all the hysteria when I knew it would just be a matter of time before it was finally officially released, so I'll be glad to pick it up when it is.
Old 10-08-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Glad to finally be able to get it. I missed out earlier in the year when it previously released/recalled.
Old 10-08-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
SEARCH is your friend.
And reading is yours:
I tried to do a search, but I couldn't get it to work, so I apologize if this question has already been asked.
Old 10-08-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most of them already have.
I didn't pay extra for the featurette; I paid extra to have the DVD in February, instead of October. And personally, I didn't pay that much extra; I think it was about $35 on Half.com - well worth it to me considering I've already watched it three times.

(Not to mention that for all I knew, it would be delayed a year and a half again)

Rob
Old 10-08-04, 12:54 PM

I paid $60 for my copy of Ed Wood SE, but I have no regrets.

I didn't buy it for the 9 minute feature on cross dressing, I bought it because I had no idea when, or if, it would be coming out and I wanted to make sure I got a copy.

I have enjoyed watching it, and now it has the "benefit" of being a "rare" edition. ;-)

So you guys who missed out in Feb., pick up a copy for $20 and enjoy! It's a great movie.
Old 10-08-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
yep i paid about 60 bucks for mine too...but unlike the rest of you, i only bought it for the cross dressing feature..HA!!!
Old 10-10-04, 02:20 AM

Well until you see Ed Wood sitting on the shelf on October 19th don't count it as being released. Remember this DVD was scheduled for release twice before.
Old 10-10-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I paid about $40 for my Ed Wood early this spring. Not for the crossdressing featrue but to have the first release regardless of what it featured. While I am certain thousands exist, this will be one of those "collectors items" dvd's often asked about.